May 2016 Moms

18 weeks, still no movement

I feel like I'm the only person who's this far along and hasn't felt anything yet. Am a FTM, not sure if I have an anterior placenta but I suspect not since the Dr was able to find a heartbeat on doppler at 10 weeks. Anybody else in the same boat?

Re: 18 weeks, still no movement

• I was in this boat with my first because I had no idea what movement would feel like. With my first I felt the first movement around 19+ weeks but not consistently until at least 23w. Try not to worry... It should happen soon :).
  • Loading the player...
  • I've said this before--I feel all sorts of feels, have no idea if they are movement or not. A little pull, a little stretch, a little twinge. Not once have I been like "i felt the baby kick!" So I'm with you. I'm 17w3d, by the way. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• edited December 2015
    Are you pretty active? Because I pretty much only feel movements when I'm sitting still (like while watching tv) maybe try sitting quietly in a room for like 20 minutes and see what happens? ETA it's totally normal to not be feeling movement yet though :-)
  • I didn't feel anything until after 18 weeks the first time. It's very normal to not feel anything yet!
  • I'll be 18 weeks Friday and haven't felt any thing that is for sure the baby. Mostly I've felt RLP and gas rumblings but I assume it's just gas. It can take up to 20 weeks for FTMs.
  • With both of my previous pregnancies, it wasn't until after 20 weeks that I could recognize movement. I did not start feeling this baby until this week (18 weeks). And it's only when I am lying down and putting pressure with my hand at baby's location. It's not much; just a roll/flip.
    JCrew Blog

Big brother was born August 24, 2011.
    Little brother was born October 1, 2012.
    Brother #3 due 5/4/16; born 5/2/16.

• I had an appointment this morning, and my doctor asked if I had felt any movement yet (I'm 15w 2d). I told her I hadn't, and she said that, while some women feel movement this early, is not unusual if you don't feel anything until around 20 weeks.
  • Sorry to be blunt, but are you a little on the chubby side? I myself began my pregnancy overweight, so no judgement here if you are! But I am 18w and carry ALL my extra weight in my abdominal area (funnnnn) and I barely feel anything. Sometimes I feel a little something that feels like "ok I think that's it" but my smaller friends definitely seem to have felt it much sooner along.
    If it helps, you can HEAR the kicking in the Doppler (it's like a little interruption in the heartbeat, they usually identify it YouTube tutorials), and see if you match that up with any unusual sensations you're feeling so you can know what to look out for.
  • I am 18 weeks now, and I haven't felt anything to date. I think its perfectly ok! My midwife told me some women don't feel anything until 20+ weeks! It's hard not to get nervous about this, but every woman is different!
  • I'm 19+3 today...had my anatomy ultrasound today and found out I have an anterior placenta...so I won't be feeling any movements for many more weeks yet. I'm dying to feel a little kick!!!
  • I'm a 3rd time mom and just started feeling movement today. I'm 18+3. With my other 2 it was well past 20 weeks before I felt anything, so it was a pleasant surprise!
  • Everyone is different. I'm sure you're fine!
  • I have felt a few little bumps and doctor tried pointing then out during my last Doppler but I can't identify between bubbles moving in my stomach (not gas) apart from baby. If you have found the heart beat you should be good :)
  • I *think* I've felt the baby move sometimes when I'm quietly laying on my side and not doing much of anything else. But I'm still not sure if it really is the baby or not. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I had an anterior placenta with my first and my doctor was very surprised when I told her I felt the first kick at 18w6d. Don't fret! It will come!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DS I definitely didn't feel any definite movement until 22 weeks. Even at my 20 week u/s, the tech would tell me the baby was kicking me right now and I still could not feel anything! I'm hoping to feel something earlier with this baby.
  • I have an anterior placenta. Yesterday we went for the AS and my little boy was moving so much! I could see him, but not feel him at the time. 19 weeks 3 days. Lately I'm pretty sure I've been feeling him, very lightly though.
  • I'm definitely feeling your frustration.
    18 weeks and the most I've felt is uterus stretching and gas. I know it will likely be another couple of weeks before I feel anything but when I look down and see my belly and know I have a child that's already named but still feel nothing from her twisting and twirling it's a little frustrating. The belly keeps growing and I have to keep reminding myself it's not just from the big lunches I've been eating.
  • Like all of you I am also getting impatient and want to feel baby move so badly! At my 16wk early scan the tech told us my placenta was anterior so it would be awhile :( but with each day I grow more hopeful to feel it soon. I just get lovely aches and crampy pain... and after I eat a big meal... all sorts of stuff feels like it moves in there! lol.
  • I have an anterior placenta too but I've been feeling baby for several weeks. I'm 19.5 now. The baby is also breech right now so I feel her kick really low....like my bladder. My doctor said she is the most active baby he's ever seen. So I'm in for a real treat!
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • So glad you posted this because I am driving my husband nuts with worry about not feeling anything. I just really want to feel those first kicks ; )  Also coworker is 2 weeks further along than me and I have to keep reminding myself I'm not going to experience everything along with her. 
  • Thank you for posting this bc I wake up every day Hoping my belly popped! I am 17wks and feel normal and have no movement; ( won't see him or feel heartbeat until jan14th ahhhhh;( I heard his heartbeat Dec.14 but I'm just a worrier;( I do workout a lot so I don't know If that is the case.. Thank you ladies have a good day!
  • I am now 20 weeks and just don't really feel pregnant. I am a healthy weight and have always been on the small side. I haven't gained much weight, maybe 4lbs even though I eat plenty! I haven't felt movement and only some days does my belly resemble a bump (more so at night after eating all day). My last appt was 4 weeks ago, and my next one is in 2 weeks. So long to wait! I am scared something happened and I won't know. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks! :blush:
  • Sorry to be blunt, but are you a little on the chubby side? I myself began my pregnancy overweight, so no judgement here if you are! But I am 18w and carry ALL my extra weight in my abdominal area (funnnnn) and I barely feel anything.

I'm the same way, a little chubby especially in the abdomen, and haven't felt a thing at 18w. I don't mind though, am trying to just enjoy each stage of pregnancy as it happens. It will be wonderful when baby is active, but not so wonderful when baby is active when I'm trying to sleep!
  • @jacksdarlene I'm 17 and 3 days and I also don't feel pregnant. Have only gained about 2kgs as well.

I had an appointment last Thursday and baby boy was doing really well and doc told me the sex (even though it wasn't my AS appointment). He also told me that I might only feel something from 22 weeks.

Apparently we are the lucky ones for not feeling horrible all the time.

Don't worry too much! The days will fly by with Christmas and New Years! GL.

• I'm thankful for this post. It is making me feel a little better. I am 19+4 and have maybe felt tiny mmovements, but it could have been gas. My AS is Wednesday and I'm just so anxious because I never know if everything is alright. I'm looking forward to those kidney punches so I know everything is going well.
  • I am with you EErin86. I am 20 weeks and I really haven't felt anything. So reading these posts have made me calm down a bit!
  • edited December 2015
    I'm in the anterior placenta club, and as I posted on that board, there was something at 16-17 weeks for three days really really low (likely below the placenta, I figure) that just HAD to be the baby. Then a whole lot of nothing, and I'm 20w tomorrow. Except GUYS! I think I just felt something down low again while writing!!! Aaaaah! But... Maybe just my imagination and wishful thinking? Every time I really try to feel something, though, all I get is my heartbeat. Oh well. I'll keep watching and waiting. I just hope I'll have kicks to count when my doctor wants me to start kick counts (soon, it seemed.)

Edit, later that night: busy evening, but finally sitting still. There are little thumps (down low again, of course). Different than what I felt 3 weeks back (more of a vibration like a phone or a cat purr, in little irregular bursts) but in that time I'm sure he's gotten stronger so I'm not surprised. I think a felt some turns or something too, like weird gurgles, but wrong location. I'm not 100% positive, but... I don't think I'm imagining this!

There's hope!
  • I have an anterior placenta, I recently learned. I started feeling kicks about 19 weeks but it's very infrequent.
  • I'm over 19 weeks and I just the past few days started feeling movement. I only feel it when I'm laying on my back usually, but it's pretty regular :) I felt the same way at 18 weeks. You will feel it soon I promise
  • 21 weeks today and STILL no discernible movement. I know I shouldn't be freaking out, but I am freaking out.

I feel like if I had an anterior placenta somebody would have mentioned it to me by now? But I guess I haven't asked...
  • I think I started feeling some movement at 16 weeks but not sure if it was baby kick or muscle stretching also it was very infrequently. I am 18 weeks 1 day today but no definite/clear kick yet.
  • I am 19 weeks today and still no movement. I feel flutters (usually just before I fall asleep) and heard the heartbeat at my last appointment. I'm a FTM. I'm also kind of concerned because I haven't really "popped" yet either. I have my 20 week US in 10 days so I'm praying that everything is ok and I'm just one of those that doesnt show for a while.

• I am 20 weeks tomorrow and have my ultrasound and have felt absolutely nothing. Except normal bodily things I've always felt? I have heard the heartbeat almost daily but I just wish I felt movement :( seems like everyone has felt something by now and it's nerve racking.
  • OP here - just found out that I have an anterior placenta, so that's probably why I haven't felt much. Fingers crossed for the next week!
  • I am 18 weeks as of today and a FTM and havent felt anything yet either but heard the heartbeat at my 17ish week appointment!
  • @kp90 - what do you use to listen to heartbeat? Doppler? I am little worried since I m 18 weeks 4 days but haven't felt definite movement yet.
  • @prayingformybaby yes I bought a Doppler online and honestly it has been the best thing for me even though I read good and bad about having one such as it causing more stress if you cannot find the heartbeat.. But luckily I never had that issue and it has been comforting to be able to hear it when I need to because I don't feel movement yet. So it's a personal decision but for myself, I'm glad I made the purchase. 20 weeks and no movement due to placenta. Hopefully soon though. Thoughts and prayers.