February 2016 Moms
Options

Laundry basket instead of bassinet for first few months

FTM mom here and just wondering if there is any reason NOT to use a laundry basket instead of a bassinet? Has anyone done this or something similar? I have a crib in LO's room ready to go but wanting him to sleep next to our bed for the first few months (crib doesn't fit into our room). Is there a safety or practical reason to invest in a bassinet instead of just using what I have on hand?

Also, if anyone has done this, what would be the safest way to pad the basket?

Yes I'm serious about this, and I'm not really interested in getting judged if your only reason is that you think it is trashy.

Re: Laundry basket instead of bassinet for first few months

• Options
    Babies will probably out grow a laundry basket quicker then a bassinet, is also hard and uncomfortable.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    heidiisa said:

FTM mom here and just wondering if there is any reason NOT to use a laundry basket instead of a bassinet? Has anyone done this or something similar? I have a crib in LO's room ready to go but wanting him to sleep next to our bed for the first few months (crib doesn't fit into our room). Is there a safety or practical reason to invest in a bassinet instead of just using what I have on hand?

Also, if anyone has done this, what would be the safest way to pad the basket?

Yes I'm serious about this, and I'm not really interested in getting judged if your only reason is that you think it is trashy.

QFP
  • Options
    Ive never thought about that and i have yet to get a bassinet as well, i would think using a crib bumper for the sides and a small pad covering the bottom would do fine. The more firm the better because the more soft and comfy it is the more of a risk of him suffocating/SIDS
  • Options
    If you can find something similar to the box new parents are given in Finland, I say go for it! It might be hard to make a straight-up laundry basket safe, but if you find a breathable mattress-type thing to fit inside tightly it could work. I live in Ireland, where most people use Moses baskets that are really not that different.
  • Options
    I've never heard of this but I suppose if you were able to find a firm "mattress" type thing that fit perfectly in the bottom of the basket it could probably work. Interesting to think about
  • Options
    Do not use a laundry basket. Yes safety issues are there... read about them. They say the crib is the safest for your baby with a proper fitted mattress. but we are using the halo bassinet for the first three months bc we don't have our own place yet and are living with my parents until summer. This is a very expensive but safe bassinet.
  • Options
    @Katty422 we are using the Bassinest as well.

OP- I believe SIDS is a good enough reason to look into purchasing a bassinet.
  • Options
    Yes me too. My cousin died at 9 months from sleeping in a crib that the mattress did not fit. These babies need a proper sleeping place.

@Katty422 we are using the Bassinest as well.

OP- I believe SIDS is a good enough reason to look into purchasing a bassinet.

• Options
    Finding a box and fitting a thick piece of foam in it would be better than a laundry basket. Make sure the foam is tight. I doubt anyone is judging as "trashy" but more on the safety side.
  • Options
    I don't think it's unreasonable to look for a different option, but you're going to be hard pressed to find something that is firm and tight fitting enough to be safe as a "mattress". You certainly wouldn't want to put blankets in the bottom or anything like that.

I'd recommend a rock n play (small, not too expensive), or perhaps a Moses basket type setup. Also, something like this would work in the bed or set on the floor: https://www.summerinfant.com/byyoursidesleeper

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    What if you just got a rock and play?  They are not too expensive. 
  • Options
    I have a similar question- can babies sleep through the night in a car seat? My husband and I are traveling to Uganda when our son will be about 2 months old, and the first night he will not have a crib. Could he sleep in his car seat?
  • Options
    I think investing in a pack n play (that has a newborn sleeper attachment) would be a much better choice than a laundry basket. Being able to nap and/or change the baby in something that's mobile, safe and off the floor I think you will find it to be worth it. Plus it can be broken down to travel with, easily moved around the house (even outside), and a safe play area when needed. You can buy basic models that don't cost a fortunate. Putting the baby on the floor (besides the questionable safety factor of the "bed/mattress" itself) doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Being close to the floor dust, the heater, or something falling on baby in the night (like a pillow), I think it's a much safer choice to find a different alternative.
  • Options
    VitaLuna said:
    I have a similar question- can babies sleep through the night in a car seat? My husband and I are traveling to Uganda when our son will be about 2 months old, and the first night he will not have a crib. Could he sleep in his car seat?
    No, it's not a good idea. The positioning is not good/safe for them for an extended period without moving. There's an article on it that was floating around when I was pregnant with DD that talked about why, but I don't have a link. ETA: here's a link to an article: https://www.parents.com/blogs/parents-news-now/2015/04/24/parenting-news/why-you-shouldnt-let-your-baby-sleep-in-a-car-seat-swing-or-bouncer/
    There was a baby here in Oklahoma a few months ago who died while at daycare because they allowed him to sleep in his car seat.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Karen249 said:

I think investing in a pack n play (that has a newborn sleeper attachment) would be a much better choice than a laundry basket. Being able to nap and/or change the baby in something that's mobile, safe and off the floor I think you will find it to be worth it. Plus it can be broken down to travel with, easily moved around the house (even outside), and a safe play area when needed. You can buy basic models that don't cost a fortunate. Putting the baby on the floor (besides the questionable safety factor of the "bed/mattress" itself) doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Being close to the floor dust, the heater, or something falling on baby in the night (like a pillow), I think it's a much safer choice to find a different alternative.

This is what we are doing! It sits perfectly level with our bed too, our apartment is a one bedroom, so obviously not that big, and it doesn't take up much room, has wheels, has all the safety requirements and a safety guarantee, and is actually REALLY cozy. Plus the sleeper attachment can come off and stand on its own wherever you want it to.
  • Options
    pettycrockerpettycrocker member
    edited December 2015
    Lol I think it's fine, you can probably buy a firm pillow to use as padding in the bottom. It wasn't too long ago babies slept in dresser drawers, you don't really have to spend money on a bassinet esp. if it's not in your budget. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Babies will probably out grow a laundry basket quicker then a bassinet, is also hard and uncomfortable.

That^^

We used a laundry basket when we went back home the first time and put a blanket folded under her but she was too long for it the next time.
    I wouldn't make it a regular thing anyways we did it because we literally spaced completely on grabbing the pack and play.
  • Options
    Mamacat316Mamacat316 member
    edited December 2015

I think in bed with you is better than a car seat.

I feel like this might be "controversial" in that it's not in line with what the APA recommends, but I'm just going to say it. We coslept (like baby right in bed with us) 80% of the time when my son was tiny. ESPECIALLY when traveling. We took tons of trips and never brought a car seat, pack'n'play or anything really but a sling. I know this terrifies a lot of Americans.
  • Options
    We did this once when we forgot the pack n play. We lined it with a pillow and it worked just fine for one night. She couldn't roll over yet (3 months old) and we rolled the corners of the pillow underneath to make kind of a dip in the middle. So she sat in the little dip and didn't move. I'm not sure I would choose this for a long-term solution, but it definitely worked in a pinch.

*Don't worry we removed the toy and blanket after she fell asleep. They were to help soothe her to sleep. She was supervised the entire time all of that was in there.
  • Options
    If you don't have a safe place for baby in your room, but you have a crib, just put them in there and skip the headache of trying to figure out how to sleep them in a laundry basket.  that's my vote.
    My Baby Penguins
    DD1: 9/19/11
    DS: 1/1/14
    DD2: 1/31/16

• Options
    JMarie1291JMarie1291 member
    edited December 2015
    Be careful using a laundry basket.... SIDS comes to mind.... Theres no way to really pad it safely for a daily use. I've seen it before were you put a firm pillow at bottom and drape a blanket in it so the blanket hangs over the sides. But why risk it when you can go to Wal-Mart and purchase a bassinet or pack and play for cheap. I be nervous using laundry basket.... What if the padding isn't firm enough and baby is on their back but turns head to side and blanket or pillow ends up covering up over their little nose just enough so they suffocate.
  • Options
    I definitely let my son lay in a laundry basket lined with a towel while I was getting dressed in the morning when he was probably 4-6 months old. I wouldn't have let him sleep in it over night but it was a good contained space to put him down while I got ready a few feet away. We also used a laundry basket in the bathtub when he outgrew his baby tub but wasn't quite sturdy enough for the big tub. Again, it kept him and the toys contained!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Please don't consider letting your baby sleep overnight in a car seat. Young babies can and do suffocate when they sleep in a position that isn't flat. Read sidsforkids for info you really need to know as a new parent. If you are really stuck and they can't roll yet a blanket on the floor would be safer than a car seat. As for laundry basket should be fine if you can find a firm tightly fitted mattress. If you can't find a mattress then it won't be fine. If you are getting a crib then babies are totally 100% fine in the crib from day 1 and that would be by far the best option. They don't need a smaller sleeping option for any reason other than parent preference.
  • Options
    Ps if crib doesn't fit in your room could you put it just outside with the door open? Our just suck up crawling down the bed to get out of bed in order to cram it in?
  • Options
    **lurker here**
    What about buying a foam topper and cutting it to size? That way it would fit the laundry basket perfectly.
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • Options
    I havent thought about using a laundry basket, but thats an ingenious money saving idea! We will be using the pack n play.
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • Options
    Lol I think it's fine, you can probably buy a firm pillow to use as padding in the bottom. It wasn't too long ago babies slept in dresser drawers, you don't really have to spend money on a bassinet esp. if it's not in your budget. 
    I agree with this. And I'll also say that we used a RnP but my life got a million times better when I figured out how to nurse him while lying down and he started sleeping with us in our bed. We did it safely and it was wonderful. He still sleeps with us a lot at 2 years old, actually. I think you should do what works for your family, as long as you're being safe! :)
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    I may use my sisters halo bassinet but we would have to ship it. However I did receive a graco pack n play that has a bassinet option which I will probably use since I have it. I would invest in a pack n play, they are great. You can travel with them and use them for a ton of functions.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If its plastic, you know about BPA right, the cancer causing agent in most plastics?
  • Options
    Anaelsea said:
    If its plastic, you know about BPA right, the cancer causing agent in most plastics?
    oh yes, please make sure to put your newborn in a glass jar instead of a plastic one.

bwahahahahahaha, best response ever

*Kate*

February 2016

• Options
    I think the basket is a great idea. We won't be using a bassinet. There is no point spending money on something the baby will only fit for a few weeks anyway. It's cot/co-sleeping then straight into a kids bed when they outgrow the cot. Our cot is in our bedroom though and we pull it straight up to the side of the bed so we can reach through the side and offer comfort to baby without the need of pulling them out of the cot.
  • Options
    Putting the baby is a basket just sounds like a bad idea. Sure, people did all sorts of things back in the day. My sister slept in a drawer! But that was before people knew better and before there was thorough research on SIDS. I'm sure you can get a secondhand or borrowed bassinet for a reasonable price.