September 2015 Moms
Options

Baby eats five times a day

Does any bodies baby only eat five times a day?

Ava is 10 weeks and eats at 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4.30pm and 7.30pm and sometimes has a small top-up at 9pmish before going to bed at 10pm. We are so lucky that she sleeps 10-7 and has done so for a couple of weeks now. I offer her the breast multiple times a day but she only wants to eat as above.

She's gaining weight fine - I just want to know if anyone else's baby doesn't seem to eat as much as other babies? Perhaps it's something in my milk or she can eat a lot at once - she only really feeds for 5-10mins at a time.

Re: Baby eats five times a day

• Options
    I'm totally jealous. I wish my LO was on a schedule like that. She's more of a snacker, and we're working on getting her to go longer between feedings and take more each time. It would probably help her napping if she did that.
  • Options
    My boy does 4 sometimes and it terrifies me. Every sound he makes I'm like, "He's hungry!" But no...and DH gets grumpy about the wasted formula...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe you can go to an lc and weigh a feed. I'd be curious as to how much she's taking in at each feed. Breastfed babies fake about 19-30 oz in a day on avg.
  • Options
    Mine eats 5 times a day, most days also. 7,11, 2, 5 and 630. I wake up and nurse, then she usually takes 2 bottles during the day and then nurses again when I get home and then gets a bottle plus a little nursing before bed. Growing right on target, sleeping like a champ, and I don't spend all my days feeding. She's hitting a bit of a growth spurt now and wants to snack on the weekends when she can nurse, but I'm happy with her little schedule!
  • Options
    My breastfed baby eats only 6 times per day and I mentioned this at his 2 month appointment. Our pedi wasn't concerend because he is gaining weight appropriately and has plenty of wet and dirty diapers. His routine is similar to your baby's schedule @Livvyloo87. He usually eats every 3 hours or so during the day starting between 6-7am with last feed between 7-8pm and has an overnight feeding in addition to that. There are rare days he eats more often but mostly he's every 3 hours which always adds up to only 6 feedings. He's also a quick nurser! My first son was as well so I'm assuming it's my overactive let down? Maybe they can get quite a bit rather quickly? My first definitely ate more often though. I guess bottom line is if they are gaining, peeing and pooping and meeting milestones then this is probably their "normal."
  • Options
    TabulaRasa25TabulaRasa25 member
    edited December 2015
    Mine eats pretty much every three hours, but has basically dropped a middle of the night feeding.  So the nighttime stretch is longer.  

An average day for us looks like 

6 a.m. feed
    9 a.m. feed
    noon feed
    3 p.m. feed
    Bottle of expressed milk between 6-7 while I'm at class, usually 3-5 oz. 
    9 p.m. feed
    Midnight feed if he wakes up and wants it. 

So, 6-7 feeding times on average a day.  

He used to always wake up around 3-4 a.m., but that's been mostly dropped the past couple of weeks and he's been sleeping for six-ish hours straight in the night. 

When he breastfeeds, he tends to do about 10-15 min. per side per feeding.  So a feeding lasts about a half hour.  He's kind of a leisurely sipper. Weight gain is steady, diaper output is regular.  
  • Options
    My son is bottle fed but eats a ton.
    8 am, 11am, 2:30 pm, 5pm, 7-8pm, 11:30 pm, 1-2 am and sometimes 1 other bottle during the night but not always. He also eats 6-7 oz bottles each time. He's 12 weeks
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses! We did a weighted feeding and she had 8oz the one feed so I think she must be tanking up the few times she does eat!
  • Options
    Holy crap. She's got a big tummy lol. My lo would be spitting most of that up. Good for her!
  • Options
    NirolosaNirolosa member
    edited December 2015
    We're currently: 7 or8am, 10/11, 1/2pm, 5/6, 8/9 with the occasional night feed all 6 to 8oz (bf, pumped) and we're also 12 weeks :)
  • Options
    DD does 5 feeds a day as well. She takes 8 oz. each feeding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker