2nd Trimester

when did you break down and start wearing/buying maternity clothing?

only 12 weeks but pants starting to get a bit snug.  I'm assuming in the next month or so i'm going to have to start looking for other options!

when did you start wearing maternity clothing and what kind of stuff did you buy?

Re: when did you break down and start wearing/buying maternity clothing?

• There's no set time to start wearing maternity clothes but if comfort is an issue for you in your regular clothes you should start! I began with a belly band but I didn't like it very much. I have one pair of maternity jeans, tons of leggings and a few dresses that I wear. I'm much more comfortable in maternity clothes and will almost be sad to leave them behind!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wanted/needed them weeks ago but held out until 13 weeks before I bought them. Will probably start wearing them tomorrow...but buying them is one thing, actually putting them on is another...still in denial about my weight gain...
  • Loading the player...
  • edited November 2015
    Im 16.5 weeks, my jeans are now too snug in the waist but leggings and my regular tops are still totally fine for me. I'm hoping, wishing, praying that I won't have to wear actual maternity stuff until the 3rd tri. It's just so expensive, I don't wanna spend the money
  • I think i need to buy some leggings. I've never owned any!  luckily i have a few pairs of pants with a good amount of stretch to them.  

what do you wear with leggings.  jeez i am clueless.
  • mmmmkay said:

I think i need to buy some leggings. I've never owned any!  luckily i have a few pairs of pants with a good amount of stretch to them.  

I wear a long tank top or long long sleeve tshirt (should cover your butt) and a cape or cardigan or long open sweater. Then I wear high boots and that's pretty much what I live in! Pinterest should have some good ideas!!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • 6 weeks for DS1 and 5 weeks for DSs 2 & 3.  I have no torso so everything goes out.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• havent bought any maternitt clothea yet. i pretty much just live in my leggings/yoga pants. they're suuper comfy. & cheaper than any pair of maternity pants I've looked at.
    as for shirts, most of them still fit me. my mom was kind enough to lend me some of her shirts which ao far are perfect for fitting over my little bump.
  • edited December 2015
    mmmmkay said:

I think i need to buy some leggings. I've never owned any!  luckily i have a few pairs of pants with a good amount of stretch to them.  

omg u are missing out! Definitely get yourself some leggings.. I've been living in mine! I wear boots or uggs and any top or sweater with them. Oh also now that I'm gaining a bit of weight I wear long vests over whatever top I'm wearing with the leggings-- it helps hide the hips and booty :-) Leggings are really versatile. I recommend getting the ones where the waist folds over- they are awesome for pregnant women because even when your belly gets really big u can just fold them under the belly
  • I started wearing some of the elastic waist type at 10 or 11 weeks on especially bloated days. I'm 18 weeks now and only recently started wearing full panel. I'm only just now feeling like I CAN'T wear some of my pants, even with the rubber band trick.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I started using a Bella Band at around 12 weeks. I moved to full on maternity pants for work at 17 weeks, but I still fit into most of my around the house lounge wear. 
      BabyFruit Ticker      image 
  • I started wearing maternity clothes somewhere around 20-23 weeks. I really could use some more tops for lounging around the house, but with only six weeks left I'll probably hold out. Honestly the earlier you buy, the more money's worth you'll get out of your clothes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Seriously, get yourself some leggings, stat. They are lovely :)

If you are looking for something a bit nicer, I love the side-panel pants from Old Navy (plus, they are on super sale today). Full panels suck if you don't have a belly yet and the side-panels are amazing for bloaty days.
  • Umm, 7 weeks. LOL. So much more comfortable. I hate feeling restricted in my clothes so it was a no brainer for me.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I couldn't button my jeans any more by 10 weeks (started wearing a Bella Band). By 14-15 weeks I needed actual maternity pants/jeans. I never could/can do low or side panels though. Full all the way! For the record, the Bella Band still worked/does work longer than the first trimester, but I find myself having to adjust it more often than I'd like at this point.

I first wore a few maternity tops at 13 weeks, but didn't absolutely need them until 16-17 weeks or so. At 20.5 weeks, I can still get away with a few of my super-long non maternity tops, but am wearing almost all maternity otherwise.
  • I haven't had to yet. I'm 20 weeks 4 days and am still down 16lbs from being so sick the first trimester. I'm still wearing jeans I wore before I got pregnant, except they're looser now. And my shirts all still fit. I've only had to go up in bra size so far. I've gone from a A cup to a C!
  • I bought full panel jeans around week 12 because I hate feeling constricted on my bump. I looooove my jeans so I sprung for 2 nice pairs from Motherhood Maternity on a buy 1, get 1 50% off sale and I think they'll last me the whole time. I honestly feel like they are so comfortable I'm going to hate to give them up!

I also have bought about 5 pairs of full panel leggings from Old Navy, all cheap and on sale and they are my absolute favorite! Most of my tops still fit, I just make sure my bum is covered either with a loose blouse or a long cardigan. I've gotten a couple of long maternity tees on clearance at old navy also for lounging. Never pay full price, there are sales all the time!
  • My mom bought me a whole wardrobe at 9w; told me to not stretch my pre-preggo clothes out. I didn't *need* them but ooohhhh it has been so much more comfortable and easy knowing it fits and fits well!

Best advice (TMI warning) - buy new underwear! It sounds silly but go through, trash anything old and revamp with new and soft undies. It helps SO MUCH!
  • I started having to wear the pants at around 21 weeks and the tops around 2 weeks later. Remember that you'll still be in them post pregnancy for a while - I am 15 days PP and I can wear some of my pre-pregnancy shirts but I don't even want to think about the muffin top that my jeans would give me. *shudder* To be more cost effective, if you plan on trying to breastfeed go ahead and buy some nursing tops. I wish I had more of those right now personally.

Also remember that it's not the weight gain (which is 98% baby in the end, I promise) that makes your clothes fit strange. Your uterus is now protruding, your hips might widen a bit, and as you go on baby makes their way up and out. You're all making little humans :)
  • Anyone want to post links to their favorite things they bought?  whether that be maternity specific wear or just leggings?
  • I actually brought maternity jeans at around 8 weeks (side panel ones not over the belly ones) becuase my bloat was sooo bad that my normal jeans really hurt my belly to do up. But around 10-14 weeks went back to normal clothes and back into full maternity at 20ish weeks. The fold over leggings are amazing, i just wear long tops that cover my butt. 2 pairs of those jeans and thats it! We are coming into summer here so im going to have to look at some maternity stuff soon becuase none of my stuff from last summer will fit me now!
  • yeah, this is an ivf baby and i was so bloated at the beginning.  it was horrible!  i believe my ovaries are finally back to a normal size, so my pants are actually a little LESS snug when they were in week 5.  Still limited to dresses and the stretchier pants though! 
  • I added leggings to my wardrobe almost immediately (the bands of every single pair of pants I owned bothered me tremendously by the end of the day), and am currently 18w but haven't added anything else. I'll probably purchase a holiday maternity dress from Pink Blush online though.
  • i've been rubberbanding my buttonlfly jeans for about two months now - started around 10/11 weeks or so, but i broke down a few weeks ago and bought some maternity leggings, and i bought a pair of maternity jeans and some cheap tops from the gap this weekend during the sales.  i can still fit in all my pants and tops - i just can't close the pants anymore.  

i also had to buy new bras and sports bras a month ago, and now i'm busting out of the freaking new ones, too.  i might as well just give up in that department.

• Still in my regular pants and tops at almost 19w. Waist bands are getting a little anug, so I'm sure in the next two weeks I'll be in maternity pants all the way.
  • Switched to maternity pants at about 14 weeks. I may never go back, these things are great. Still doing fine in my pre pregnancy tops though, I think because I typically wear skinny pants with loose shirts, so I prob won't need maternity shirts for a while yet.
  • I had a lot of bloating but no weight gain so my regular pants that still fit felt uncomfortable in the middle. Around 9 weeks, I said "screw this shit" and bought maternity leggings. I also bought loose tunics to hide the bloat. And a few empire waist dresses (both mat and non mat)

To this day (37 weeks) i am only partially in maternity clothing. I found a store near my home called "Layers" and it's basically stretchy layers, bodycon dresses that are "one size" and actually fit one size, big tunics and seamless leggings. And that store is a lot cheaper. A LOT cheaper. I have a few maternity staples, yes of course. But i recommend looking for cheap yoga pants (they stretch out better and constrict less), seamless leggings and that sort of thing if you can. And the bonus is that after you give birth, these clothes will spring back with you. Belly panel clothing, particularly jeans, are not very useful without the belly to hold them up.
  • the key? Elastic waists and shirts that hold the growing boobs in. Buttons anywhere on the torso are a pain in the arse and their days are numbered. (Even in maternity wear - your boobs are going to shock you silly) 
  • I went to Target and bought 3 maternity Ts as kind of a staple. I'm almost out of the first tri. The pants, I am waiting on. I def do not fit into my regular clothes. I had lost a bunch of weight and had been holding onto my "big girl clothes"...well the next size up (or 2!) isn't so big anymore. My biggest issue is bras. My reg size doesn't fit and the next size up (that I still had) is too big. I spent $50 at Soma and $15 at Target for something I could grow into, but they don't have underwire. I hate that. I need to feel locked in--so I am still uncomfortable. I think the boob growth is just uncomfortable.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • During the summer I bought three pairs of maternity shorts and a bunch of size L soffee shorts. Life savers. As for tops I bought three t shirts from motherhood as a staple. 37 weeks now and I live in leggings. Buy maternity clothes whenever you want. There is no certain time frame.
  • I pulled out the belly band and pants at 10 weeks. At 18 weeks, it's all maternity pants or leggings and maternity shirts. I popped this week.

Best leggings ever (expensive but worth it) are lululemon wonder under roll down waist. My pre pregnancy ones still fit, and when rolled down will last the pregnancy. They are life changing.
  • Bella band at 12 weeks
    I'm bringing my maternity pants on my work trip next week as well as my bella band
    I can still wear my regular stuff, but for loooong days, I prefer not to.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Sometime in the 2nd tri... Maybe around 18wks?

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I recommend looking into Earthbound Trading Co. for clothes to wear throughout pregnancy. It's a bit of a hippie style, but they sell lots of pants with elastic waistlines and flowy tops/tunics. They have great sales, and the clothes will also fit post-pregnancy if the flowy look is your style ;)
  • I gain weight in my stomach before anywhere else. I was in belly bands at 6 weeks and maternity pants at 10. I probably could have stuck with regular pants and belly bands for a few weeks but honesty, maternity pants are so much more comfortable.

cat fail animated GIF

• I went to target and bought some leggings and longer shirts, sweaters.

Pretty sure i just wore pajamas to work...
  • I am a fuller figured girl, second pregnancy. I haven't gained any weight (just entered second trimester) but I've been wearing maternity pants interchanged with yoga pants (I'm a SAHM) since about 9 weeks. It wasn't that I popped (I likely won't), but that the extra pressure from a growing uterus just made pressure on my tummy uncomfortable. And made me have to pee every 5 minutes. :) 

I don't think it is wrong to start wearing maternity clothes early on. It's about being comfortable at first, later it is about fitting over your baby bump. 
  • 14+5 and just brought my first maternity shirt today. Not because my bump is big. Nope. Not at all. Because my boobs have gone up two sizes. Fml.
  • So I lied.
    I can't wear my maternity pants yet.
    I live in leggings.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• haven't bought any yet but did buy some leggings at target!  Wore them to work and was sure someone was going to call me out for wearing pjs.

Where do you ladies buy your leggings?  they are out of stock on the black ones!  

I may need to stop trying to hide this though soon.  14 weeks and already had TWO people offer me their seat on the bus.
    guess the belly is getting noticeable!

also getting strange looks at work no matter how much i suck in.  SO TIRED OF SUCKING IN. Thankful for a baggy sweater today.