1st Trimester

First Scan at 6weeks 4days

So we are officially pregnant after our 2nd IUI!! Our First ultrasound is December 10th which will be about 6 weeks 4 days after LMP. (Our IUI was November 9th) what did you see on your first ultrasound? Will they be able to see how many babies? Possibly a flicker of a heartbeat? What are your experiences? TIA!

Re: First Scan at 6weeks 4days

• We saw the heartbeat at 7 weeks. I had an earlier scan due to previous discovery of an ovarian cyst.

By 6w4d you will most likely see the heartbeat, though it will have just started beating so it's possible it might be a touch slow. You'll be able to see a gestational sac containing a yolk sac and a fetal pole as well.

Yes, the ultrasound tech/doctor should be able to see how many babies are present at that time.

Good luck!
  • I had my first ultrasound at 6w 4d and saw a heartbeat of 163bpm! Although I have read other stories where the heartbeat wasn't that strong at 6w4d so I wouldn't worry if you aren't able to hear it. I certainly wasn't expecting it, so it was a pleasant surprise!

As far as the baby, I just saw a white blob. Nothing that looked like a baby. I'm going back tomorrow at 8w2d so hopefully I'll see a lot more!
  • Loading the player...
  • My baby looked like a blob at 7w4d, but we were able to hear a solid heart beat and even see it flickering in the US which was awesome. They were able to tell the baby was in the right spot and that there was only one.
  • I had my 2nd ultrasound at 6w4d today and we saw a little heartbeat just flickering away!
  • This was my first US scan, at EXACTLY 6w, 4d! We could see the little heart fluttering, where the head and torso were forming, and not much else. The baby is still considered an embryo, and there really are no limbs to see yet. At 9 weeks, the baby is an actual fetus, so you'll be able to see a hair more. My second scan was at 9w, 2d and the heartbeat was a lot more noticeable, but it was still hard to detect much else. You actually see less in this photo, because it was a topical scan. The first was trans-vaginal, so be ready for that. Good luck and congratulations!
    Me: 32, DH: 35
    Married to DH: 11-13-10
    DS #1: EDD: 9/25/12, Born 10-9-12
    DS #2: EDD: 6-19-16, Born 6-14-16
  • Congrads! Hopefuly you will get to see your LOs heartbeat! I had my scan at 6w2d and it wasnt there yet, but the sac and pole were there. But they ordered a follow up scan and there it was beating away! It can happen if the egg implants a bit late (or if you ovulate late but with iui you shouldnt need to worry so much about that) so try not to worry if ypu dont get to see it yet. They should be able to see how many there are too!