October 2015 Moms
Options

Early Attachment?

DS will be 7 weeks tomorrow, and I'm curious if anyone knows whether it's possible for him to already have some sort of attachment issue. Anyone other than myself who tries to calm him down usually does so unsuccessfully. I am breastfeeding, so I understand when he's hungry he will need me. However, sometimes even when he isn't hungry and is crying he won't calm down for anyone else, even DH. DH and I left DS with my parents for a few hours over the weekend, and my mom said he screamed for at least half the time we were gone which is SO not like him. I assumed attachment didn't develop until later in life but am wondering if it's possible for DS to have a mild attachment "issue" with me. I just worry because I'll be going back to work in January and DS will stay with my mom; I just don't want to worry about him screaming and crying all day while I'm gone. Anyone else have babies this young who prefer one person over all others for comfort?

Re: Early Attachment?

• Options
    I'm definitely able to calm/comfort LO faster and better than anyone else- including DH. I thinks it a combination of nature (they know your scent/feel,etc) and the fact that I'm with him the most so I know what works, positions he likes etc. but they know mama from others early on. I would say do short visits with your mom watching him while you are there before you go back to work. That way he will get used to her without missing you.
  • Options
    basdenjn6 said:

I'm definitely able to calm/comfort LO faster and better than anyone else- including DH. I thinks it a combination of nature (they know your scent/feel,etc) and the fact that I'm with him the most so I know what works, positions he likes etc. but they know mama from others early on. I would say do short visits with your mom watching him while you are there before you go back to work. That way he will get used to her without missing you.

Same with me. I'm with him all the time so I think I just have an easier time reading what he wants. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You have had an extra 40 weeks of bonding time that others didn't get. It takes time to establish a bond.