December 2015 Moms
Options

Books

Now that we're getting close to meeting our little ones, does anyone have any good recommendations for books about taking care of a newborn? I know there's a lot of info on the internet, but I'd like to have a good general book to reference when I'm unsure. Thanks!

Re: Books

• Options
    My Mom has given me a few. For a general reference guide she likes the "what to expect in the first year" book. I honestly haven't read it, but my mother raised her kids and many many other children, so I tend to take her word for it.

In terms of a book more about the general way to care for a new baby, I really liked "secrets of a baby whisperer". It sounds silly but it is full of practical advice and a general plan for how to get your kid into a pattern that makes it easier for you to care for them. My kid isn't here yet though, so as much as I liked the book and plan on following it, I can't really say how well it works yet.
  • Options
    I liked the What to Expect The First Year as well (and the What to Expect The Toddler Years after that). I was fairly comfortable with babies in general, and anything I didn't know before DD1 was born, I asked about while I was in the hospital, so I mainly used it for reference. I still refer to them occasionally! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The pediatrician recommended Baby 411, and so far I'm enjoying it. It's a pretty easy read.
  • Options
    Dr Sears' big Baby Book!
  • Options
    I find that the "What to Expect" books are like a worst case scenario guide to parenting. It ended up freaking me out more than it helped. Happiest Baby and Happiest Toddler are great though.
  • Options
    Dr Sears! And we watched the happiest baby on the block dvd. Loved it :)
  • Options
    @mhwood said:
    I find that the "What to Expect" books are like a worst case scenario guide to parenting. It ended up freaking me out more than it helped. Happiest Baby and Happiest Toddler are great though.
    Really? I've never seen them in that light.

We also have the Baby411 book and got the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD. I have What to Expect in the First Year that someone gave me, but never really looked at it. I like the app for "The Wonder Weeks". I got the book, too, but most of the mothers on there complain too much and it takes away from the development part of the book, which the app goes over pretty well.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I love reading but have hated pregnancy/baby books. As a nurse I know most of the material from school and working in a maternity ward.

However, my DH knows NOTHING about babies. He also hasn't picked up a book at 15 or so years. So when I walked in on him reading a baby book for new dads I was completely blown away. I mean, he's studying this book hardcore. So if anyone needs a book for new dads, this is the one to get.

My DH actually read this too!! I've never seen him read a book before, so this was a shocker. We ended up reading a lot of it together & it's really good!
  • Options
    I second happiest baby on the block. It's really good and was recommended to me by many moms
  • Options
    Whovian84Whovian84 member
    edited December 2015

My husband and I LOVED 'Be Prepared!' It isn't condescending like other dad books can be and is really great for all the basics (as well as some reality checks). My husband feels really empowered to help out now!

We've read Happiest Baby (as repetitive as it is) and can't wait to try out the techniques--although really, our child won't be fussy at all so it probably won't be needed :P

I have a bit of a beef with the Sears books as he's not a developmental psychologist and much of his interpretation and rebranding of decades of attachment psychology research is inaccurate, reductionist, and misleading. It's tone can also be very mom shaming (Moms should take out personal loans so that they will not damage their children neurologically and psychologically from time away working the duration of a normal work day?).

Oh, and @groovylocks, I love your suggestion to go back to the childhood classics! We so often forget the importance of play and imagination--it's the "work" of childhood as Mr. Rogers said!