November 2015 Moms
Options

Pees & Poops

So I tried BF in the hospital and it just wasn't working for us. So the first night home I caved and started feeding LO formula. He was having good pees and poops in the hospital but today (4 days old) he hasn't peed or pooped since this morning. I was thinking he might have just been dehydrated from the BF not going well and it's taking some time to catch up. I'm going to call the pediatrician tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone had any similar experience.

Re: Pees & Poops

• Options
    My pediatrician said that formula can block them up a little. We had to supplement the first few nights and LO was constipated for a few days. I would recommend calling your Dr first and see what they say. Our LO just needed some stimulation. After a rectal temp, he pooped later that day.
  • Options
    I would definitely call the doctor but my little wouldn't latch either and really didn't eat much of anything her first night and the next day she didn't pee until about 2 even though we started with formula that morning the nurse said because she hadn't gotten anything until then her body was probably holding into every little bit
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Formula is much harder for them to digest so it's pretty common to see s decrease or constipation if they change from breast to formula. My baby was constipated in the hospital because he was in the NICU for a week due to some issues with his jaw and mouth and therefore was being given formula through a tube. Thankfully, we have had him home for a week and I have been breast-feeding and his system seems to be back to normal.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. He had 2 more small pees tonight, which makes me feel a little better. Will call the MD in the morning! Thanks for the piece of mind! I'm so worried about everything he does I always wonder-is this an issue big enough for the ER?!?
  • Options
    Was that just 2 small pees in one day? If it was a darker color and just the 2 I would call someone. Has he been drinking all day with formula? Poops are normal to go without for a few days but there should be urine out put thought the day around 8 diaper changes is ideal
  • Options
    He had another pee that felt pretty heavy. It wasn't dark in color, he also had a poop with it. He's been eating his formula every 3 hrs. Sometimes he takes the whole 2 oz. sometimes he only takes 1 oz.
  • Options

He had another pee that felt pretty heavy. It wasn't dark in color, he also had a poop with it. He's been eating his formula every 3 hrs. Sometimes he takes the whole 2 oz. sometimes he only takes 1 oz.

Good! We were told she should have as many pees as she is days old. I would definitely not go to the ER over this, too many sick people this time of year, and they'll just tell you to talk to your ped. If it was multiple days of this or he wasn't eating, then I would be more worried.
  • Options
    Hmm.. How long has he been on that brand of formula? Maybe he needs something different. I hope your pedi can help you out!
  • Options
    Just started on formula Sat. night. Using the Enfamil newborn. My milk came in today so I want to try pumping and bottle feeding to see how that goes. I was getting almost no colostrum when I pumped when we got home so Im hoping I can get a good supply of milk going and I can at least bottle feed him that! Fingers crossed!

Called my pediatrician today, they didn't seem worried but his first appt. is tomorrow. They said as long as he's peeing and pooping no need to rush to the ER. So far today he's had either a poop/pee or both prior to each feeding. So I'm thinking his little body just needed hydration from not getting much colostrum in the hospital.