June 2016 Moms
Options

Childbirth classes for FTMs

FTM here and I am a little overwhelmed about the variety of childbirth classes available (lamaze vs. hypnobirthing vs. bradley method vs. alexander technique).  Any opinions about each of these sets of classes? Would anyone recommend taking multiple types of classes?

Thanks!

Re: Childbirth classes for FTMs

• Options
    I only took the birthing class my hospital provided, and to be honest I found it pointless. It was much more informative for my husband than me, since I had already gone crazy and read everything available.

I think a more specialized class, like those you mentioned (particularly hypnobirthing), could be beneficial. You just need to decide which route you want to go with your birth plan! Don't stress yourself out too much with all the options. You'll be able to do it, with or without the classes. :)
  • Options
    Following this. There is also hypnobabies. I do plan on taking an infant CPR class with DH sometime next month.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your OB or midwife should have a list of local classes.

I highly suggest googling the different class types to see what suits you best. My midwife gave me a list of local classes and told me a summary of each of the types of classes. I was recommended Bradley classes by a friend but my midwife said that a lot of Bradley instructors act like natural, drug free is the only way to go and they frown on epidurals.

I plan to take my hospital classes which cover epidural and csection in addition to a few local classes. I'd like a natural and drug free birth, but I want to know about epidural and c sections in case I decide/need to go either route and I don't want to feel like a failure for getting an epidural. My friend who took Bradley classes beat herself up over getting an epidural. I believe that no matter how you get your baby out, you should be proud. Pregnancy is hard, and as a FTM, labor seems damn hard no matter what.
  • Options
    I, too, am a FTM but have heard wonderful things about hypnobirthing from someone I really respect-namely that it helps take a lot of fear out of labor and delivery, which I am definitely experiencing! She also mentioned she didn't feel pressured to deliver any which way (could have just been the instructor, though). I've already told my husband that we are investing in hypnobirthing classes.
  • Options
    I didn't take a class. I did the hospital tour to learn what my hospital offered in terms of options and support, and I did a bunch of reading and research on my own. I felt prepared and I don't regret te decision.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I took a Lamaze class that was offered through my OB's office with DH and I didn't learn much but DH did. She did a visual instruction of how the epidural works and is placed and we watched a video of a c-section (didn't show too much). The breathing techniques were kind of beneficial.

If you're planning to do it med free I think you'd be crazy to not take some sort of class and Lamaz will not cut it. If you're planning on getting an epidural I don't know that you really need to take any of the more specialized technique classes.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm with Kaiser and they offer a ton of classes. I'm dragging DH to one so we can talk about things, and I can help him figure out how to support me, especially through all the worst case scenarios. It will be a good way to start the conversation. I'm actually more concerned with the baby care classes they offer, as DH and I have very little experience with tiny babies.
  • Options
    A few friends of mine told me they looked on you tube for their baby classes. Maybe you could find a sample class for each, see which one resonates most for you and sign up for that.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    ICEA is also a good option too, it's a more generalized class. It depends on what type of birth you want to have and your personalitity. Birthing from within classes are a little more artsy. If you practice meditation or yoga, hypnobirthing might feel a little more natural. There's a little more information here on the differences of types of classes https://www.m.webmd.com/baby/guide/childbirth-class-options
    Don't stress to much about what class to take, any class is going to help make a difference in your birth experience and help you feel that much more prepared. There are classes that don't fall under any title as well, such as doula taught classes and other ones that can be just as good, if not better.
  • Options
    Depends on your goals/birth preferences. We did Bradley & loved it. But our instructor was a RN & viewed interventions as a toolbox, it's there if you need it & they all have a place & time. I personally did not care for hypnobirthing but I was offended by 1 line in particular in the book about high risk mothers. So I'm not an unbiased review on that one. Hypnobabies I enjoyed but can't speak to how effective it was. My birth was 2.5 total from water breaking to baby, 1/2 hour after arriving at the hospital. So I didn't really utilize it. Those are the 3 I have experience with personally. Our doula also covered a lot of what was in our Bradley class.

Pregnancy Ticker