May 2016 Moms

Snuza Movement Monitor

So I did not know this existed until today when I was working on my registry...a monitor that clips to the baby's diaper and alarms if the baby stops breathing.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  Does it work?

Side note: I had no idea how baby-gear-dumb I was until I started registering.  I don't remember who suggested scoping out Lucie's List, but whoever you are, you're pretty much my favorite person on this site at the moment :D

Re: Snuza Movement Monitor

• I haven't heard of the brand but heard that that kind can be inaccurate and cause you to have a heart attack. I know there are pads you put under the sheets in the crib that alarm you of their breathing etc. I think it's just your preference. I've just not heard of the brand which causes me pause. Is it on Lucie's List? I may be ok with it if it was on there. That site/emails are awesome!
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• I haven't heard of that exact one but I went to a training on safe sleep for my work (by far the scariest training for a pregnant girl) and the doctor presented said that they go off really easily which causes more panic and anxiety for the parents. They aren't super reliable and may just cause unnecessary panic hearing it go off frequently when there's nothing wrong
  • Loading the player...
  • A friend of mine had one and loved it but did say there were some false alarms. I thought I read about a new device that clips to the baby's toe like in the hospital that was supposedly more accurate? But like PP said, I'd go with Lucie's List.

Also if you get a good video monitor you'll be able to see baby breathing. And for what it's worth, DS is almost 21 months and sometimes I still check on him to just to make sure he's breathing. I feel like that worry just never goes away!
  • I forget the brand but someone I know got one of the ones with the pad they put under the sheets and they loved it. They have twins and had one or 2 false alarms, but honestly I'd rather have the false alarms than have something actually happening. I've also seen the one that clips to the toe. I think it's a sensor on a little sock or bootie and it reads similar to hospital readings. DH haven't picked which we want yet but we definitely plan on getting one.
  • We had the pad one and the snuza. I preferred the snuza because DS didn't often end up in the crib. He was in the rock n play after 2 months old and then co slept once he got too big for it. A couple times it would pop off his pants or diaper and then go off but generally was reliable. The pad one was annoying because when you wake up tired at 2 am it's hard to remember to turn it off and then the alarm goes off and is super loud.

I will use both again however. I enjoyed the sense of security. I was a mess in the beginning with worrying.
  • I haven't heard of the brand but heard that that kind can be inaccurate and cause you to have a heart attack. I know there are pads you put under the sheets in the crib that alarm you of their breathing etc. I think it's just your preference. I've just not heard of the brand which causes me pause. Is it on Lucie's List? I may be ok with it if it was on there. That site/emails are awesome!

Yes, that's where I saw it!!
  • I didn't have any of the movement monitors with DS, but a lot of the others on my BMB had the angelcare pad and possibly the Snuza. I remember stories of false alarms, but it's really personal preference. If it will give you peace of mind then it could be worth it.

Also, I hear you on the baby registry! It's so overwhelming to decide what is useful and what is over-marketed hype products. And, even some useful products may not be useful to everyone's baby. Even though I have a bunch of stuff from #1, it seems like the amount of baby items has multiplied over the past 3 years.

DS: 9/18/12 - 40w5d // DD: 05/17/16 - 40w

• I didn't know about this either until I was digging around on Amazon for stuff to add to my registry list. I specifically looked at the Souza Hero monitor. The reviews on this are very positive, some of them really powerful stories of lives being saved. There were a few negatives around co-sleeping but I don't plan on doing that. I think anything that gives me some piece of mind around SIDS is worth trying out. 
  • mhc13mhc13 member
    edited November 2015
    I used the Angel Care monitor (has a pad that goes under the mattress). We had 1 false alarm in the year that we used it when my daughter scrunched up into one of the corners of her crib.

The only complaint I've heard about the Snuza is it coming unclipped. Especially when the baby is older and starts moving around more.
    #1 Claire 12.17.13 & #2 EDD 5.11.16