November 2015 Moms
Options

Foods to increase lactation

So DS has been cluster feeding and my boobs will be soft and empty and he still wants more and fights and yells until he gets more. I have been drinking 1-2gallons of water a day and they never seem to get full again. I have been doing research about foods that can increase lactation but haven't started trying yet. Any suggestions or recipes for ways to increase? Anyone have success increasing their milk production

Re: Foods to increase lactation

• Options
    Homemade oatmeal cookies is the only I've tried... so far I'm waiting to see if it will make a difference

• Options
    Eating oatmeal daily helped me.
    Your boobs might not seem full but are likely producing. Maybe meet with an LC for some ideas?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oatmeal, almonds, peas, and mothers milk tea has helped me produce much better.
  • Options
    Inc protein in diet... A lot of folks are lacking. Don't cut fats. Have a beer ( Brewers yeast) and agree with oats!
  • Options
    Oats, flaxseed, wheat germ, Brewers yeast, dark beer, and fenugreek seed. You can buy mother's milk tea which has fenugreek. That and oatmeal always seemed to help me. If you are really concerned I would contact a lactation consultant. Like mention above just because they feel soft doesn't mean they are totally empty, and letting him nurse like that will increase your supply naturally.
  • Options
    I cooked with fenugreek seeds before I was ever thinking about getting pregnant because we love ethnic foods. You'll find a lot of Indian, Turkish, and Persian recipes that use them.
  • Options
    Mothers milk tea and fenugreek capsules is what I've heard works great (haven't tried, still pregnant FTM).
  • Options
    Oatmeal, homemade lactation cookies (check Pinterest!), fenugreek, blessed thistle, cooking with Brewers yeast and lots of water. Try not to stress as that can affect supply!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    As a few PP mentioned, your boobs are never actually empty. My LC explained that the "emptier" you get, the more efficient the milk gets (more days/proteins per oz), so baby is still getting what he needs. Unfortunately, he probably does have to work a little harder to get that milk which may be why he's fussing.

From what I understand, the best way to increase your supply is to allow them to get that empty feeling because it signals that you need more milk so your body makes more.
  • Options
    Keep feeding your baby. I've read that the sucking sends a signal to your body to keep producing!
  • Options
    Pineapple and mothers milk tea!
  • Options
    Any suggestions on what to put in the oatmeal to make it interesting? Its bland AF and I'm not a fan. So far I don't have a supply issue but want to make sure it stays that way.
  • Options
    @rubirubi89 I love baked oatmeal with some chocolate chips. Tastes like dessert!

Married DH December 2014
    Expecting DS#1 November 2015
  • Options
    I switch my breakfast or snacks throughout the day from baked oatmeal or Cracklin' Oat Bran- both delish!
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of overnight oatmeal, there are tons of recipes online. Basically, you put uncooked oats, milk (regular or soy/almond/coconut etc), a big spoonful of yogurt and flavorings (I like brown sugar and cinnamon, or maple syrup and frozen berries) in a jar and let it refrigerate overnight and in the morning, it is delicious oatmeal. You can eat it cold or microwave it, I like it both ways.

If I'm feeling lazy, I make the flavored Quaker instant oatmeal packets and use hot water from my keurig (2 packets to 8 oz water). Nature made protein granola bars are yummy, too, and easy to eat with one hand.

In other news, I tried mother's milk tea and was not a fan. I didn't realize it would basically taste like licorice, which is one of my least favorite flavors. No supply issues yet, so I'll hold off on the tea until I have to. And just keep drinking my Founder's Breakfast Stout :).
  • Options
    chelseaepleychelseaepley member
    edited November 2015
    I bought some fenugreek capsules from WalMart ($4.98 here in ky) and they helped tremendously. But I smell like maple syrup mixed with celery. But my milk supply has increased a lot. Also, when you feed, make sure you're comfortable and relaxed. LC told me that's a major factor in producing milk.

Also, take 6 capsules a day. 2 with each meal.
  • Options

Any suggestions on what to put in the oatmeal to make it interesting? Its bland AF and I'm not a fan. So far I don't have a supply issue but want to make sure it stays that way.

I like brown sugar and raisins. Or a few scoops of peanut butter.
  • Options
    I'm a new mom to a 10 day old.. I feel I had the same prob... my best friend bought me mothers milk from target and I drink gallons of water. . Try 100%pineapple juice as well... Milk is there just think positive and pump often..
  • Options
    Keep the healthy fats in your diet for sure. My midwife recommended fenugreek and blessed thistle capsules as well as A prescription for Domparadome to increase milk. Major results in 3 days.
  • Options

Pontot31 said:

I like brown sugar and raisins. Or a few scoops of peanut butter.
    Honey, any kind of fresh berries, maple syrup, dried cranberries, cinnamon
  • Options

I like brown sugar and a handful of craisins. Or a spoonful of peanut butter or Nutella.