June 2016 Moms

Need help with announcement

Hi ladies,

I could use some help deciding when and how to tell my sister that I'm pregnant. We won't be telling the rest of our families until Christmas. I am 12w today.

December 19 is my sister's 21st birthday. Her boyfriend and I have been planning a night out for her for the past few months. With her birthday being before Christmas I obviously can't wait until Christmas to tell her. There is no way she would buy any excuse I tried to feed her about why I wasn't drinking with her on her 21st. Now here is my dilemma....... Do I tell her on her birthday or before? Part of my wants to give her a card on her birthday that basically says "sorry Auntie but mommy can't drink with you tonight. See you in June". The other part of me is worried that it will take away from her birthday if I tell her that night. I'm torn! Help!

Any suggestions? Thanks :)

Re: Need help with announcement

• If my sister told me she was pregnant on my birthday, I'd be ecstatic!!!!!

The way I'm announcing to my fam is by giving my grandma a little wooden plaque that says "only the best grandmas get promoted to great grandma" and I'm going to have enough space to add a clip and a picture of my ultrasound. You could do something similar for her except use "sister" and "aunt" in place of the grandma words.
  • @CopperLane that's cute!

I forgot to add that 99% of our families are going to be in shock.... This was not planned at all and hubby and I have not been in the best place in our relationship recently. So that adds to the nerves of telling people.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would get her a "world's best auntie" card and give it to her in private (since you're not announcing to everyone else). She'll be excited for you and it won't steal her thunder because it's just a secret between you and her, not a big announcement that puts the spotlight on you. She'll feel special for getting to know the news first anyway :)
  • I can definitely get where you are coming from. My SIL was in an awful relationship (he said he didn't want to commit his life to her and she left him), but turns out she was pregnant. They secretly eloped then told the family they were expecting. People were in disbelief, denial, shock, there were different reactions from everyone. But everyone ended up excited for them! As long as you are happy, that's all that matters. My SIL had a hard time mostly because her parents are die hard Christians. But if they could come around and be happy, then anyone will and you have nothing to worry about :)
  • DH did the best sisters get promoted to aunt thing and she liked it. I would tell her before in person, and then let the rest of the night be about her since it's her 21 birthday.
  • Love the idea of the card and shared secret. Plus she gets a built in designated driver and someone to keep watch over her the whole night. Just remind her the next morning that it is still a secret or she might wonder if she dreamed it and blab. Congrats!
  • Agree with above about secret card and playing up being her DD etc. I hope she's thrilled for you! I'm sure she will be :)
  • We were just a a restaurant last night and this very thing happened. A pregnant couple was telling one of their sisters via a gift. She opened this flaming pink coffee mug that said 'my aunt is a HOTTIE!'
    It was decorated with silver writing and fake rhinestones. Total bling. The sister burst out crying and the whole place knew what was going on within a few minutes. Someone even paid for their dinner ;)
    Momma to be said she ordered it from cafepress.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think it's really cute- but if you are worried about taking her thunder (so to speak) than maybe you can tell her earlier in the day vs right before going out to celebrate or even the night before.  

I'm thinking of all the December babies I know that hate sharing their birthday with Christmas- and she might not want to share her day with your announcement.  I would let her know when she's not in party mode yet- and preferably when it's just the two of you.  
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18