Babies: 9 - 12 Months

9 month old still refusing anything but the breast

I am still breastfeeding my 9mo son in addition to feeding him solids 3x a day.  For months I have been trying the bottle and he always refused it so I switched to sippy cups....still refusing.  I have tried Platex, Nuby, Tommy Tippe, and even am trying to get him to sip from a straw which he does very rarely.  Obviously I have never left him for more than a few hours (which honestly doesn't bother me) but I am more worried I am doing something wrong in terms of his development.

How can I encourage him to drink from a sippy cup/bottle?  I plan to wean around 1 year so I need this kid to not rely on the breast.  HELP.  

Re: 9 month old still refusing anything but the breast

• I'm having a similar issue with solids. For sippy cups I use these disposable ones that are dishwasher safe. When they get ugly from teeth marks I toss them. Have you tried just leaving it by your son, letting him discover it and try drinking? If not will he want to sip from your cup if he sees you with one?
  • The only one mine has done well with is munchkin brand with the straw. This is for 6m + at first he just chewed on it and it took him a while to get the hang of drinking from it but now he likes it a lot. I have tried other but he can't get the hang of tipping them up. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Im having the same issue! Of course my son will be one in 3 weeks and so far he will drink from the munchkin weighted straw cup but he takes a few sips and looses interest. I've tried nuby, dr brown, take and toss, tomy tippee. Im running out of ideas and its frustrating. I will leave the cup at his reach and only once did he finish it. Small progress i guess. I was really hoping to wean at 1.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lurker here!

Can you try just a regular cup? My ten month old drinks from them. (he struggles with sippys tbh)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • tots325tots325 member
    edited February 2016
    Have the same issue with my little one now, I finally found a bottle called the joovy boob (I use the glass) it's supposed to help the transition from breastfeeding to bottle. She took it after chewing on it for a couple of minutes and I was shocked. This is the only bottle she likes, now to work on sippy cups.
  • My LO is 9 MO now and for the past couple days he is refusing the bottles at daycare. He will suck a couple times and then outright refuse. He is eating his solids at lunch time and nursing like crazy at home and through the night now (doc says making up for milk not getting during the day). I brought him in yesterday to the doc to check for ear infection but there is none and he is getting molars right now (EARLY) and so he chalked it up to teething and recommended Tylenol or IB profin before eating. Is this him just not wanting a bottle? Is he just being a busy body? I am so upset over him not eating. He is hydrated (normal/great diaper output) but just not drinking during the day. I don't know what to do. Any other mamas on here breastfeed and have their LO drink milk from a sippycup during the day? Does it affect the LO wanting to nurse at night/mornings?