Natural Birth

Intro

Hello, I am currently 15 weeks pregnant with my third baby and am interested in learning as much as I can about having a natural birth. I was induced (with epidural) with my two children and although I had an easy time I want to experience a med-free birth. I'm not really sure where to start in regards to preparing myself. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Re: Intro

• Welcome!  I just had my 3rd baby med free after two prior easy epidural births.  You can do it!!  Both H and I read the Bradley Method and it really helped me prepare.  Have your H ready to know how to deal with you in transition with counter pressure and hip presses, it saved me during transition for sure.  I also switched to a midwife around 20 weeks (she was within my OB practice) and it was the BEST decision ever.  She knew how much I wanted a med free birth and even at the end when I was miserable and wanting to be induced, she was going to do a gentle induction to allow me to achieve an epidural free birth.  In the end, I went into labor on my own and didn't need any drugs, but still having her support was invaluable.  Also talk to your hospital about med free birth, find out how often they support med free moms and what their policies are to make sure you will be in good hands and not be pressured.  My hospital and nurse were amazing.  They were actually excited to have a med free birth (they said all the moms that week I had Eleanor had been medicated and they look forward to med free births!)  Ask for a med free friendly nurse for sure.  My nurse was my rock.  The word epidural or even drugs was never even mentioned.  She rubbed my back, my feet, my hips, she was more like a doula.  After Ellie was born, my midwife and nursed high fived each other, that is how excited they were about the birth.  It was awesome.  Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Welcome!  I just had my 3rd baby med free after two prior easy epidural births.  You can do it!!  Both H and I read the Bradley Method and it really helped me prepare.  Have your H ready to know how to deal with you in transition with counter pressure and hip presses, it saved me during transition for sure.  I also switched to a midwife around 20 weeks (she was within my OB practice) and it was the BEST decision ever.  She knew how much I wanted a med free birth and even at the end when I was miserable and wanting to be induced, she was going to do a gentle induction to allow me to achieve an epidural free birth.  In the end, I went into labor on my own and didn't need any drugs, but still having her support was invaluable.  Also talk to your hospital about med free birth, find out how often they support med free moms and what their policies are to make sure you will be in good hands and not be pressured.  My hospital and nurse were amazing.  They were actually excited to have a med free birth (they said all the moms that week I had Eleanor had been medicated and they look forward to med free births!)  Ask for a med free friendly nurse for sure.  My nurse was my rock.  The word epidural or even drugs was never even mentioned.  She rubbed my back, my feet, my hips, she was more like a doula.  After Ellie was born, my midwife and nursed high fived each other, that is how excited they were about the birth.  It was awesome.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you so much for the encouragement and advice. I asked my OB about a med-free birth and she said she will be supportive but I know it's the nurses who really matter during labor. I think I will start by researching the Bradley Method. I am excited to do something different!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm in the same boat as you...2 successful inductions w/ epi but this time I am trying to achieve a non-medicated, water birth.  I made the transition to a practice that has both midwives and OBs which I really like.  The OBs are very supportive and the one OB even started the only birthing center w/in a hospital in OH.  I feel a lot of support.

I've been researching and practicing a lot of relaxation techniques but nothing formal.  I am really hoping for a water birth.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker