Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Grunting noises while sleep

edited November 2015 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Does anyone else's baby make loud grunting noises while sleeping at night? My baby is breast fed and 5 mins after I lay him down he makes these awful grunting noises. He seems uncomfortable and to me seems like trying to pass gas. He will do this again when it's time to wake up for a feeding. No crying! Just grunting and movement of his arms . I feel so bad for him! Anyone else have this?

I told my pediatrician and she assured me it wasn't a food allergy (like I thought) and normal for newborn/ to still be figuring out there digestive systems!

Anyone else have this going on? He's almost a month old
Megan

Re: Grunting noises while sleep

• Options
    Ha! Yea. Ask your pedi first, but we give our daughter the Gerber Soothe probiotics. You only give them five little drops, so it's not bad.
  • Options
    If his arms are moving try swaddling.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He bates being in a swaddle and breaks out of it everytime

I did some research on the probiotic and going to try it tonight!
    Megan
  • Options
    My daughter hates being swaddled, too. She hates anything over her arms, even my wrap.

Our pedi, then a G.I. recommended the probiotics to us. My daughter seemed to be in actual pain..but I gave up dairy and that improved her symptoms tremendously. Probiotics are never a bad idea, though, so as long as your pedi is ok with them I'd give them a shot. The Gerber taste like sunflower oil and we give them while we're changing her through a syringe since we BF, too and can't mix it into a bottle.
  • Options
    My LO always did this at night, I'm pretty sure it was gas. I have given up dairy( which was clearing making her gassy and spit up a ton) and she doesn't do it anymore!
  • Options
    My LO also does this every night and the same timing that you mentioned. However, I just let him let it out and he falls fast alseep. I have been told it is perfectly normal and babies make all sorts of noises this young.
  • Options
    Our pedi told us to expect a lot of noises and that it was totally normal. Babies are loud.