October 2015 Moms

Nighttime Burping

Anyone else struggle with this? I can't seem to get my LO to burp after nighttime feedings. I try sitting him in my lap and patting him on the back and on my shoulder while patting his back, but he just falls back asleep. I usually try for about 5 minutes before giving up. He sleeps for about 3 hour stretches, but the last hour seems to be really restless due to gas. I'm thinking that if he burped, this might not happen. Any suggestions?

Re: Nighttime Burping

• I have the same issue! During the day she butps fine, but will not burp at night.
    No advice, but following incase you find some helpful tips!
  • After five minutes with no burp I'll lay him down, belly up, and pat on his chest for about 30 seconds. Then sit him up and try his back again for a minute. Sometimes it works.
  • Loading the player...
  • Try sitting him up on your lap and patting him... that is an instant hit for me. If that doesn't work try laying him face up or down and rubbing
  • I've found that changing positions frequently helps to get a burp. Also, maybe try using some gas relief drops right before eating?
  • indylardelliindylardelli member
    edited November 2015
    I find leaning baby back a little bit then leaning him forward a few times while sitting him on my lap helps push the wind up

that's what I did myself anyway when I was pregnant and had acid reflux and needed to burp and it seems to do the same for baby hahah
  • You could also try forcefully rubbing his back in an upward motion.
  • i try bouncing to get a burp out
  • I pat for a little bit and then rub her back for a while. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Usually she's asleep by that point so I'll just put her down and listen for a few minutes to see if she spits up. If not, I go to sleep.
  • Oh my goodness!! My mother in law who has 4 children of her own showed me the BEST trick for burping. My girl wouldn't burp while asleep until I did this and I will try my best to explain it.

You sit the baby on your lap (let's say facing to the right for this example) with her legs like she is sitting in a chair (butt on your right thigh and calfs/feet dangling over your right leg). You place your left hand at the nape of her neck supporting her head with your index finger just below or on her ear and your thumb below or on the other ear and you put your right hand the same way on her front. So both left and right hand are holding the baby's head and supporting her up (your right and left index fingers and thumbs should be able to touch respectively). Your palms should support the top of her collar bone and back. Then you gently rock her upper body from your front to back - so away from you and toward you - think of a rocking chair (side to side from her perspective). Her head and body should move together and be aligned. If needed, you can transition easily from this to a more traditional burp (supporting her head with your right hand and patting her on the back with the left.) but I never need to!

This has made my life so much better because she burps within a minute and most of the time less! She is way less gassy and fussy now! I hope this helps you too!
  • @lmetters88 this method totally worked!!! Thanks so much for the suggestion!
  • My pediatrician said to try and burp for a minute and if they don't burp then they will just "fart it out." Hope this helps!
  • Going to give that technique a try
  • @lmetters88 this works so good. I feel like I need to tell everyone I know about this.
  • My daughter takes 4oz burps after 2oz and at night I usually slip in some gas drops when she's got one oz left, that seems to help. She's a stubborn burper at all times of the day lol but at night it's worse. She has reflux so I try everything I can to get her to burp before laying her down.
  • @lmetters88 your technique works like a charm every time! Even when LO is sleeping! Thanks for sharing.