September 2015 Moms
Options

Hearing Loss

We found out our 10 week old has moderate to severe hearing loss. She will need hearing aids. It's permanent. Not what I wanted for her but we are on this journey together. My precious angel.

Re: Hearing Loss

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sending positive thoughts your way.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Options
    She's absolutely beautiful. How did that happen? Is it something she's just born with?
  • Options
    She's a beautiful baby! Stay strong mama :-)
  • Options
    Find a support group! Even if it's on Facebook. It will be a good resource
  • Options
    She is so adorable <3 Sorry for the news you received mama, but finding out early allows you to get her the best support possible and that will make a huge, positive difference in the long run. Did you notice and ask the doctor, or how did you all figure out that she was having trouble hearing? Do you know the cause? I agree with the pp suggesting a support group, it's always good to have support from others who truly understand what you are going through.
  • Options
    dgriffith74dgriffith74 member
    edited November 2015
    Thank you so much for sharing your stories and the encouraging words! Hannah failed her newborn hearing screening test 4 times. Then we had another test at 6 weeks that she failed. Then we had a comprehensive 2 hour test at 10 weeks. Moderate in left ear and severe in right ear. We never thought she had a problem. She can hear. I swear she reacts to different music. I want to know what she can hear, how clear, and how loud does it need to be for her. How do things sound for her? As a mom, you want to know everything about your kid and I don't know if I will ever really know how things sound for her. We go see a head/neck dr on the 21st. He has to clear her for hearing aids. We want to get those asap.
  • Options
    First I would like to say, you're daughter is such a beautiful little girl. This must be very difficult for you and I can't relate as a mother with a child of hearing loss, but I do know a lot people with who are hearing impaired. My friend is only 1 of the very few members of her family who has full hearing. 90% of her family has slight to full hearing loss and every single one of them lives a complete normal life and don't let this set them back with anything. She may struggle but don't let her feel any differebt then any other child. We all have our own things that we deal with and this is just hers. Teach her to be confident and she can't take on the world. I wish you and your family the best. Don't let this take you down, turn it around and celebrate her uniqueness and she will thrive in whatever she does <3
  • Options
    Thanks for the update, @dgriffith74. I'm glad you have an appointment with the doctor - he should be able to answer a lot of your questions. Also an audiologist can tell you about how much and what sounds your daughter can hear (not sure if you will meet with one at this appointment or not). I've actually heard simulations of what speech sounds like with different levels of hearing loss. That could be something to ask about if you want to hear what she hears. I'll be thinking of you, hang in there!
  • Options
    Sounds like you are doing everything right <3 Good luck in the process going forward. You will get through this and your baby girl will do well with all your love and support!
  • Options
    kat8844kat8844 member
    What a beautiful girl!
    How is she doing now?
    Time passed and I'm sure you have some experience to share. Please, do this if you can.
    My newborn nephew also has recently had a hearing test and he didn't pass it. He is supposed to have moderate hearing loss, but we are waiting for the second test in the hope the result will be better.
    It would be great to have information and a real story to calm my sister.
  • Options
    00kim0000kim00 member
    kat8844 said:
    What a beautiful girl!
    How is she doing now?
    Time passed and I'm sure you have some experience to share. Please, do this if you can.
    My newborn nephew also has recently had a hearing test and he didn't pass it. He is supposed to have moderate hearing loss, but we are waiting for the second test in the hope the result will be better.
    It would be great to have information and a real story to calm my sister.
    Most likely the OP is long gone and won't see this. Assuming you're in the US, if your nephew is confirmed to have moderate hearing levels, that will automatically start a process of getting his family support. They would hear within a week or so from early intervention, which may be a teacher of the deaf, who can help guide them on this journey. A fantastic resource that is in most states is an organization called Hands and Voices (https://www.handsandvoices.org/chapters/starts.htm). It's a parent organization of families who have a child with hearing differences. She can reach out to them now, and connect with a parent who has been at this same point in the waiting game, and who's familiar with your state's supports. If you want to reply with what state she lives in, I may be able to point you towards other resources.