1st Trimester
Options

When to ask for anti-nausea meds

So this is my 3rd pregnancy and I was so super lucky with my 1st and never experienced morning sickness. I had it with my second for a few weeks. This time around (I'm 7 weeks) I am so nauseous all day long and either nothing sounds good or makes me want to throw up just thinking about it. I force myself to eat because obviously the baby needs calories and nutrients, so I am getting enough calories. I'm also not throwing up ... yet ... just dry heaving. I'm like just at the level of nausea before you throw up most of the day. I'm pretty miserable and not functioning very well. Thankfully, my poor husband is picking up my slack. I just feel kind of guilty taking medicine if I'm not throwing up and losing weight. Are the rest of you just toughing it out or would you ask for meds?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: When to ask for anti-nausea meds

• Options
    It's a personal choice. I really wanted a medicine-free pregnancy as much as possible, and put up with a lot of symptoms for much longer than I probably would have have otherwise. I did, however, did take anti-nausea medication on one occasion because my work (and therefore livelihood) was starting to be affected. Have you tried some of the typical remedies, like eating saltines or ginger? If those things don't work for you, medicine is certainly an option, but in the end just a personal choice. If nausea is seriously negatively impacting your life beyond what you can handle, I would consider it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    There are plenty of pregnancy safe medications. Ask now, the only thing you risk by not taking it is prolonging your misery.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I put it off as long as I possibly could. Longer than I should have honestly. I ended up losing about 15 pounds and landed in the hospital for dehydration because I couldn't even keep water down. I'm now taking the meds daily (much to my distraught). I still have zero appetite and am hardly eating but at least when I can force myself to eat I'm not immediately getting sick.
  • Options
    I am on diclegis and it works very well. It's essentially a combination of Unisom & Vitamin B6 in prescription form, my doctor told me if I ever ran out of diclegis that the Unisom & B6 combo works just as well
  • Options
    I take Diclectin, which I think is the Canadian version of Diclegis. I decided to take it when I realized I felt like shit all day! I figured why suffer when there is something safe out there for me to take. I would normally take cold medicine when I have a cold, Tylenol when I have a headache, so I figured why be a martyr just because it's pregnancy? If something is safe, I will take it if I need/want to.
  • Options
    I just started on Diclectin today. I have really high pregnancy hormones which is causing extreme nausea, vomitting and dry-heaving.
    I'm 5weeks 2days from my LMP, the emergency doctor, did and ultrasound and it put me at 6weeks.
  • Options
    I started on Diclegis sometime around 7w-8w. I felt the same way, where the nausea lasted all day long and it was a chore to make myself eat anything. It was totally miserable. The medicine at least took the edge off, but I wasn't 100% normal or even close to it until well into 2nd tri. It definitely helped though.

Unfortunately, I still have to take it everyday (I'm almost to third tri). I accidentally missed my night time dosage at 23w and threw up the next morning. Hopefully you won't need it that long, but my doctor has told me it's perfectly safe to stay on Diclegis throughout the entire pregnancy if needed.
    LFAF Awards

me: 27 | husband: 35
    IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

married May 2015 --> started NTNP
    BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017
    BFP 12.30.17 - EDD 9.6.18

Fertility Friend Chart
  • Options
    I started diclegis this week at 6 weeks.  I had gone about 24 hours without being able to keep anything down and after a full week of feeling miserable.  I was hesitant at first, but am so glad I called.  I'm feeling 100% better.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    I don't know why anyone would want to suffer through constant nausea. Ask your doctor for meds. I've been on Diclegis since week 6, and I've never thrown up. However, it's just as debilitating to be constantly queasy.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Once I found out that Diclegis costs over $600 without insurance (which I do have), I just lost interest. Now I'm 13 weeks and not sure if I should bother but am still nauseous all day, much worse in pm, and every time I wake up the 90k times during the night. I called the pharmacy and they said that this drug is NOT commonly used which is totally untrue!
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Options

Once I found out that Diclegis costs over $600 without insurance (which I do have), I just lost interest. Now I'm 13 weeks and not sure if I should bother but am still nauseous all day, much worse in pm, and every time I wake up the 90k times during the night. I called the pharmacy and they said that this drug is NOT commonly used which is totally untrue!

My doctor was willing to give me the directions to "make" it at home using OTC meds if my insurance wouldn't cover it. It's just unisom and vitamin b6. It may be worth talking with your doc about that if the prescription is too expensive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options

my dr offered nausea medicine to me, but it also advised that you should avoid driving while taking it and at the time I was in an outside sales position and was in my car 4-5 hours a day so it wasn't really an option for me.

I figured out my triggers, tried to avoid them as best as possible, and accepted that I was going to be throwing up.

My doctor also said that if I hadn't been puking she wouldn't have offered it, She said nausea is part of pregnancy and it's just one of the first uncomfortable things you are going to be living with. It felt a bit like a slap in the face but now at 28 weeks I know what she was saying,

*Kate*

February 2016

• Options
    You can get an online coupon for Diclegis that will reduce your copay to $30.
  • Options
    I think it is a personal choice. Some ladies prefer not to use medicine and others do. I stuck it out and used the all natural methods of nausea relief. Sea bands and ginger gum worked for me. What works for one doesn't work for another though. What does your doctor suggest?
  • Options
    fwtx5815 said:

I started on Diclegis sometime around 7w-8w. I felt the same way, where the nausea lasted all day long and it was a chore to make myself eat anything. It was totally miserable. The medicine at least took the edge off, but I wasn't 100% normal or even close to it until well into 2nd tri. It definitely helped though.

Unfortunately, I still have to take it everyday (I'm almost to third tri). I accidentally missed my night time dosage at 23w and threw up the next morning. Hopefully you won't need it that long, but my doctor has told me it's perfectly safe to stay on Diclegis throughout the entire pregnancy if needed.
    This is 100% me. Started it early and still need it at 25 weeks.
  • Options
    NOW!!!!  Don't suffer.  Your OB/Midwife will tell you don't suffer.  Unisom/B6 is a life saver (plus you sleep really well).
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options
    cmerriburycmerribury member
    edited December 2015
    peregrinefalconx said: Once I found out that Diclegis costs over $600 without insurance (which I do have), I just lost interest. Now I'm 13 weeks and not sure if I should bother but am still nauseous all day, much worse in pm, and every time I wake up the 90k times during the night. I called the pharmacy and they said that this drug is NOT commonly used which is totally untrue!
    If you have insurance, I don't know why the cost of the drug
    without insurance would bother you. However, if you have a moral objection to paying a discounted price for a drug with a high cost to others (which you are doing with every other drug you fill through your insurance), you can make this yourself by combining B6 and Unison, that's essentially all it is.

Edited because block quotes weren't working. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm nauseous 24/7...My midwife also put me on Diclegis. It's definitely better than taking nothing, but I'm still sick constantly; though I think without it I'd be throwing up rather than just queasy. A girl at work recommended Preggie Pop's from Babies R Us...These are AMAZING!!! Between them and the meds, I'm doing a LOT better!! 
  • Options
    I had horrible morning sickness and I work in a surgical OR which made it that much worse (think bodily fluid smells). I tried everything non-medicinal and the best thing I found is a protein bar called an "anchor bar". I kept one by my bed and ate it before I got up (at 4;30 am), and it gave me about 4 hours of nausea relief. If you search "anchor nutrition bars" on Amazon you can order a trial pack of 3.

I also noticed that for some reason putting Vicks vapor rub on my chest so I could smell it make the odors much better and I was less sensitive to them. Oh and also Popsicles- you can get some healthy fruit ones at the store now that are not awful for you. For some reason the coconut water Popsicles were awesome for me.

Unfortunately I just lost my pregnancy, but I'm planning to try again and I'll use all the same things.

Good luck ladies.
  • Options
    Jellybelly119Jellybelly119 member
    edited December 2015

In fact, it's not commonly used, so I'm not entirely sure what your issue is with the pharmacy saying that. I work in a pharmacy that fills 3400+ prescriptions a week, and I've dispensed it exactly twice. It's not an obscure drug, but there are many other options and it's available in the separate components OTC.

I don't know why this statement bothered me, but it did! Moving on...

Edit: words are hard
  • Options
    If you feel that bad all day and in ANY other situation you would have already taken something take what is safe.   As for the meds other people are listing below diclegis is Benadryl.   For whatever reason nausea and histamine reactions are closely linked so you can try 25mg to 50mg of Benadryl. fit that is of no help Ask your Dr. for  Zofran.  If you feel as bad as it sounds I dought you are eating a well balanced diet as it is hard just to eat in the first place.