July 2015 Moms
Options

Rock n play transition plus 4 month sleep regression

First off, I've let my LO enjoy the rock n play for too long. At 20 weeks I'm trying to transition him to the crib and it is not working! I'm hoping there is someone else who is either going through the same thing or has successfully transitioned their LO and has some advice!

On top of this he went from sleeping through the night for 2.5 months to waking up at 4 for a week and now for the last couple of weeks he has been up at 11:30,3 and 5ish.

Also, he has never had a problem going down to sleep until now. We do bath time then I feed him and put him to bed every night. He has always gone right to sleep even if he is still awake when I put him down. Now he cries as soon as I put him down (crib or rock n play). I can eventually get him down in the rock n play but bedtime went from a 30 min process to a 1.5 hr process. Ilol let him cry for a little but but once he gets really worked up I go in. I don't know if I can commit to cry it out yet! He seems too little to me still!

I'm basically lost! Thought I hit the jackpot and had a perfect sleeping baby! Now I feel like I have no clue what I'm doing!

Sorry for the long post if you made it through this thanks for listening! I'd love to hear what has worked for you!!

Re: Rock n play transition plus 4 month sleep regression

• Options
    Nothing has worked for me yet and I ak in the same boat as you. Baby is 18 weeks, sleeps in the RNP, and has gone from sleeping 5-6 hours straight to up every 2 hours all night long.
  • Options
    Ugh sorry your going through it too!! Hopefully it won't last long! I just feel like I'm falling him right now because I can't give him what he needs to get a good nights sleep!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are going through the same thing. Our daughter used to sleep in her bedroom crib from 9:00ish pm until 5:30 am when I got her up for feeding, and back to sleep until 8:00 am. She had been like this since week 6. I thought we had it made...Last Saturday she started waking up an hour after we put her to bed and now it's gotten to the point that she falls asleep in my arms and freaks out the second I put her in the crib. Can't figure out!

Sorry, I know that I'm not offering any advice but knowing that my husband and I weren't alone gave me some consolation. Please post an update if you find something that works for you!!!
  • Options
    We transitioned from the RnP to crib about 3-4 weeks ago. It definitely wasn't a fun process. Before we started the transition I started putting him down for naps in the crib, cold turkey. He either napped in the crib or didn't nap at all. We had about 2 rough days with that struggle but eventually was napping well in the crib. Then we started nights... The first night he woke up about every 10 min. I think the longest stretch he did that night was maybe an hour. We would just go in and comfort him, hold his hand and give him his pacifier. DH and I were exhausted but we didn't give in. Second night LO did a bit better (I think out of pure exhaustion from the previous night). And third night he was sleeping 3-5 hr stretches. My LO has only slept through the night a handful of times yet, but we are working on that. Good luck, mama. And be strong!

Ps. DH and I disagreed on the cry it out method. I said "no way". But at his 4 month appt I asked his pediatrician what she thought. She said that it's the best thing you can do for them. That she sees too many moms waiting til later to try to sleep train them at an older age and it is 10x harder. It's been rough, but try to stay strong!
  • Options
    18 weeks and we tried to transition from RnP to crib last night. Success! She fell asleep right away!

Fast forward 15 minutes. Wide awake and unhappy. Picked her up, got her back to sleep. Walked away. Repeat that process for the next 2 hours. Finally gave in and put her in the RnP where she promptly fell asleep. Slept thru the night.

I would have toughed it out for the night but today is thanksgiving and I didn't want her (and me) to be sleep deprived and miserable today. So we will try again tonight
  • Options
    Right there with you ladies. Exhausted and frustrated (with myself) over sleeping and napping. Yesterday I literally cried for most of the morning after Lo waking up at 530 and shrieking Everytime I tried to lay her down for a nap.
  • Options
    This is exactly why I've been avoiding crib transition at night. Baby girl just turned 19 weeks and she still sleeps in her glider swing at night. She will nap in her crib easily though and she has slept on a flat pack in play at night at my folks. I'm just not looking forward to being up and down the first crib night since daddy doesn't help with night duty unless he just got home from a closing shift.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I don't wish sleepless nights on anyone but glad to know I'm not alone! Happy Thanksgiving to all! So thankful this year! Sleep deprived but thankful!!
  • Options
    We raised her matress slightly at an angle and had her in a 'Love to dream' 50/50 sleep sac when we transitioned to crib. She can roll over now so we have her arms out, but both those things helped her sleep. The 4 month sleep regression is no joke tho! She's finally, at 20 weeks, starting to get back into a sleep groove again, wakes up only twice now- and even sometimes once a night! It gets better ladies. (Ha watch, now that I said that she'll be up like 5 times tonight)
  • Options
    Look into the Ferber method. It's working for us on the sleep regression. It's not as "cruel" as CIO (I'm fine with it though!) and has helped our LO learn to self soothe when he wakes up during the night. It also helped us because we have a plan in place and aren't trying to figure out what to do when it's 1am and we're exhausted and can't think straight.

As for the RNP, have you tried a swaddle sack maybe? Give her that cozy feeling she's used to.

BabyFetus Ticker 
    Little dude will be here before we know it!

• Options
    We were in the same spot a week ago and my friend recommended Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit so I ordered it out of desperation. I went from having a perfect sleeper to having a son who wouldn't sleep. It was awful and we were both a mess. We ordered the sleeper and I'll tell ya what...it works! It looks ridiculous,but works. Good luck!
  • Options
    I Second the magic sleep suit!
  • Options
    My twin boys are 23 weeks and have been waking up constantly through the night for about a month. I transitioned them from the rock n play by buying a wedge to put under the matteresses and having them nap in the cribs for about a week. The transition wasn't too bad but now they keep "waking"' up--I say "waking" but they aren't actually awake, just half awake and crying. Between the two of them I was getting like no sleep. Last night one actually kind of slept throught the night, went back to sleep when I made shushing noises from my bed (the three of us are sharing a room at my parents' house because a seriously unfortunate incident happened when they were newborns that forced me to leave their dad--so I'm the ony one up at night usually). The other one wouldn't let me put him down so I brought him into bed with me and nursed him until we both fell asleep. I am praying that this is the end of the sleep regression and they are getting back to being the decent sleepers they once were.

Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    Okay I bit the bullet and tonight we are trying the crib. So far 4 hours in so good. She's woke once cried a little went back to sleep. Fx she stays sleeping till at least her usual time.
  • Options
    Happy to say my peanut slept over 11 hours in the crib last night. She woke me up with some babbling I see her in the monitor playing with her feet. She did wake up once and cry for maybe a minute then went right back to sleep once she rolled to her side. I am feeling very relieved that she wasn't up and down all night though mommy stayed up till 2am doing my to do list because I was so anxious that she was gonna wake up. At least I got to spend a little alone time with the hubby, which we rarely get any time together anymore just 30 mins here and there because of work schedules and the baby