February 2016 Moms
Options

upset at test results + needle phobic.

Hi - I realize there are other gestational diabetes threads, but nothing very recent. I found out yesterday that I have GD. I do not have any of the warning signs (bad diet, no exercise, overweight, over 35) and I am so upset. Partly because I worry about the baby, partly because I have to be really careful now with what I eat, and partly because I am needle-phobic and I do not know how I am going to check my sugar levels multiple times a day. Any advice?? (Please don't just tell me it's "not that bad" because it is different for people who have panic attacks because of needles and blood. Thanks. 

Re: upset at test results + needle phobic.

• Options

The only "warning" I had was I'm over the age of 25 when I got pregnant. There's nothing you did or didn't do to cause it. It's all hormones from the placenta. Just keep telling yourself that and try not to beat yourself up about it.

As for suggestions on how to handle checking your sugar levels daily...Honestly? You suck it up. I'm terrified of needles and I just do it because it's what needs to be done for myself and my son.

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • Options
    I took my three hour tolerance  test yesterday  because I failed my first one hour test Friday. I was so upset about it at first and then when I got there it was not that bad. They said its not about your size, exercise or how you eat in most cases. Its how your body produces and filters insulin.  I am supposed to find out my results before end of business day today. All I know is that I did not have it with my first pregnancy, but this one has been different. Good luck and its really only a couple of months left, at least that is what I keep telling myself.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The correlations for GD aren't the same as type 2 diabetes. In fact, most people I've known with GD are very healthy and don't have any of the traditional diabetes risks.

As for needle phobia, like PP said, the unfortunate part is that you just have to suck it up at some point. Keep reminding yourself that it's for your baby (one of many uncomfortable sacrifices you'll have to make).

Most home-use finger pokers (lancets) are button activated, so you'll only see the needle when you go to change them out. If you end up needing insulin, your insurance may cover the insulin pens (same concept, they're button activated instead of using a needle to draw it from a bottle).

If it's too much at first, have your SO do it for you, but I really do think you'll get used to it quickly.

I don't personally have any GD experience, but I imagine it must be really hard to have to make such drastic changes in diet and monitoring. Use the resources available to you, and I hope it gets easier for you soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I had GD last time round and had to check my levels 5x a day. I hate needles and would get really light headed even thinking about having to do. We started with hubby doing it for me but the anticipation of him doing it would make it worse so I took over. Worst thing you can do is draw it out, set up the kit, swab your finger & do the prick really quickly then it's over and done with. It does get easier but I'm not gonna lie, I hated every damn prick.
  • Options
    You might be able to contact a diabetic educator. They should have some great tips for poking yourself. During my internship in nursing school I traveled with a home care nurse for a few weeks, and I remember a patient who passed out while we were teaching him to administer his insulin. He definitely got a referral;) Here's an example of what the department looks like near me: https://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/locations/eau-claire/medical-services/diabetes-education

Hypnobabies also has a track that helps relieve the fear of needles, if you are open to something like that. I know next to nothing about it because I don't personally have the fear, but I've had great success with the hypnobabies home study program in general. https://www.hypnobabies-store.com/New_Family_Tracks-Needles_Are_OK_MP3.html

Try to remember that this is very temporary. I downloaded a countdown app to remind me - 75 days, here! There are things that you can do to make the GD easier, but remember it will be over soon!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I hate pricking my finger and it looks like I will soon be put on insulin as well. The only thing that works for me is to just do it. Don't think about it, don't hesitate...just put it on automatic pilot and do it. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I also have GD and I cried and cried at the thought of having to prick myself 4x a day. What helps me is switching it up between me doing it and having my husband help when he is with me at those times. I actually didn't read the instructions all the way thru the first time and didn't know it was a button system and did it just by stabbing my finger with the lancet! My husband was home for the next one and showed me the correct way to do it and boy has that made a difference! We're almost at the end of it, and it will all be worth it when we see our babies!