May 2016 Moms
Options

Travel recommendations

I am 15 wks and 3 days and tonight after work we are driving home which is about an 8.5 hour trip. I have never driven or been in a car this long while pregnant and just praying if I hold off on water I won't have to pee every 20 minutes. Do any of you ladies have suggestions or tips to make long drives more comfortable while traveling, etc?

Re: Travel recommendations

• Options
    I'd just try to pace your water with the rest stops-- don't cut back if you can help it because it's better for circulation, etc. if you're well-hydrated. I tend to travel in a comfortable dress, or yoga/sweat pants so that I don't have the feeling of something cutting into my waist after sitting for so long. Be sure to stretch and walk at rest stops and flex/points your toes off and on throughout the trip to keep your legs from cramping. Really, a long trip this early-on shouldn't be too bad. Have fun!
  • Options
    I'm driving 3-4 hours today, longer if the traffic is bad. I did this drive a few times in the 1st tri, now that I'm not having nausea and MS I expect this one to be easier. Anyway, my biggest recommendation is to try your best to relax on the trip. If you have to stop more than usual to pee, so be it (please don't dehydrate yourself!!). If you have to stop for food when you normally wouldn't, do it. Listen to some good music and enjoy the QT with your SO. Also, bring healthy snacks to munch on like almonds & dried fruit. 

I'm currently trying to get zen myself because there is no way we won't hit traffic, my H doesn't drive, one of our dogs hates the car, and I'm just so excited to see my family I want to get there now!!

Happy safe travels!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bring snacks. That's what I learned on a 3hr drive in the first trimester!
  • Options
    While I haven't done this while pregnant, H and I make a 12 hour drive at least once a year back to his home town. I recommend stopping at a rest stop every couple of hours even if you don't need to do anything. It is good to get out and stretch even if it is just for a few minutes!
  • Options
    Stretching and walking around was key for me! Agree about pacing your water intake, maybe just drink a decent amount when you know a rest stop is within 30 min? All of the discomforts you're trying to avoid will be more likely to happen if you don't hydrate!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Those tips will be helpful. I'll take some water and pace myself. But I swear anytime I drink water it hits me out of nowhere that I have to pee and pee now! I don't even get a courtesy heads up, lol.
  • Options
    DH and I did a 10 hour drive about a month ago. We made a point to stop more often (about every 2-2.5 hours or so unless I had to pee ;) ) and I would get out, walk around and stretch my legs. That really seemed to help. If I didn't do that my back would start to hurt and I would just get uncomfortable which usually doesn't happen for me.

Now a month later a 2.5 hour car ride is long for me and we have to do that tomorrow to see family. Yay. :|