1st Trimester
Options

Trying to conceive. Is it possible to have a negative home pregnancy test but be pregnant?

I am having symptoms that I haven't experienced before, I am trying to conceive but afraid that this is either all in my mind or it may be my PCOS/Period symptoms.
This year has been the only year I've ever had a period every single month.. but on a different day each month, as usual- I don't really know when to expect it! 
I had a bit of spotting last month! and last month is when I last had sex, but I don't believe it was a period as such as it only lasted 3 days and was bleeding only every few hours, lightly. 
I have a feeling that because I want a baby so bad this may all just be in my mind.
I've not yet had a period this month but could be expecting it within the next week or so. 
I just wondered if it was possible to test negative on a home pregnancy test but still be pregnant? I have taken many tests mostly clearblue some were done too early but some were also done at the right time. All came up negative. My breasts are sore and looking the tiniest bit bigger which is unusual as I am genuinely flat chested! And I have been feeling very sick on a daily basis, like I've wanted to heave/gag and bring up vomit. May all just be in my head but I haven't experienced this before. I had no symptoms last month but I do now. I have a gut feeling that I may be pregnant but I could be completely wrong and will be gutted if I am not. Would you say its worth going for a blood test at the doctors if this continues? Just wondered if its possible to test negative on a home pregnancy test and positive with a blood test? Any responses would be greatly appreciated! Thank you ladies! 

Re: Trying to conceive. Is it possible to have a negative home pregnancy test but be pregnant?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't put to much hope in the "symptoms"
    The months I wasn't pregnant I was full of symptoms and definitely not pregnant. The month I got my BFP I had barely any symptoms and 2 weeks after my BFP, my symptoms are slowly starting
  • Options
    The only way you can test negative and still end up being pregnant is if you were to test too early. This does not sound like the case for you, as it has been over a month since you've had sex. I lurk the TTGP board, and agree with PPs that you'll find lots of great info there! My only other suggestion is to be sure to read the Newbie Guide posted there, as well ;) you will thank yourself for doing so.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You didn't say in your post how many dpo you are.... But in general, most women seem to get their BFP by 10dpo (when using early hcg detector HPTs). Yes, there are a few women out there who tested negative until 14+dpo but those women are the exception-not the rule. More importantly, "Pregnancy symptoms" are only pregnancy symptoms if you have a positive hpt.. If you have these symptoms with a negative hpt then they are not pregnancy symptoms.
  • Options
    Start tracking your period and ovulation times. Then you will know when it's too early to test. Typically negative test = not pregnant. Like pp said the month I actually was pregnant I didn't have the "symptoms I usually did" I was positive I was not pregnant. Test again in a week or so to find out though! Good luck!
  • Options

Unfortunately PCOS can mimic many pregnancy symptoms.  It also mimics period symptoms without it actually showing.  I suggest you start temping if you haven't done so already, to try and track.  I would also see a doctor on a regular basis- I saw my ob every 10 weeks to track progress and refill prescriptions. 

I have PCOS, and had been TTC for 4 years- 18 months of that was without an ob because every other doc I went to said I was fine, just a lazy fat person who needed to lose weight. I found my ob and he diagnosed me just by looking at me. I've done the whole metformin, losing 50ish pounds, tracking cycles, letrozole, estradiol, prometrium, and even provera when the prometrium didn't work!  I had ovarian drilling done, and hormone suppression with BC before I found out I was pregnant this past July.  And I got my first period back the end of May/beginning of June, then I never got it again.  I was upset because I figured all the work we did was for nothing- no period, but all the symptoms, just like I got every other month on medication.  I tested positive at 8 weeks and the only reason I tested was because I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me (my heart was beating faster than usual, and I was sleeping after EVERY meal).   

Like I said, if you haven't started tracking, start as soon as your next period shows up. And find a good doctor who will work with you to get your body to where it needs to be.

February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Not much point in taking a test until you're about 10 dpo- I did at 13 and it was still pretty faint. Another good reason to track. You can't just guess based on the length of your cycle as you could have just ovulated later than usual. Also clearblues are some of the least sensitive tests. Pick up some pink ones and keep testing with first morning urine until either you get a positive or your period. 

Also TTGP has excellent information, though I don't suggest starting threads like this one. Lurk there and you will learn a ton. 
  • Options
    If your hpt is negative then you're not pregnant at this time. Maybe you're testing too early. Fwiw I was also diagnosed as PCOS and had more "symptoms" all my bfn cycles than when I actually got my BFP.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had no symptoms when I got my BFP either. I wasn't naseous for almost 2 weeks, boobs didn't ache for almost 3. If the test is negative, you aren't pregnant. PP had some great suggestions for things to do in the future to make sure you know if you're late in the future.

As far as getting a bloos test, I don't know your insurance situation but mine didn't cover my hCG blood tests at all. Before adjusting to the "insurance rate", it would have been $120 per test which isn't cheap.
  • Options
    Yes you can have a false negative. I did. I just knew I was pregnant from different symptoms. It was a few days before my period was due and took a test and it was false (plus I would've been only two weeks along and that's too early to tell) so I waited about a couple of weeks after my period was due and made a doctors appointment for two weeks later because we thought I would've been 8 weeks along with the dates that I gave for the first day of my last period, turns out I was actually six weeks.
  • Options
    ecwk said:

Yes you can have a false negative. I did. I just knew I was pregnant from different symptoms. It was a few days before my period was due and took a test and it was false (plus I would've been only two weeks along and that's too early to tell) so I waited about a couple of weeks after my period was due and made a doctors appointment for two weeks later because we thought I would've been 8 weeks along with the dates that I gave for the first day of my last period, turns out I was actually six weeks.

Wait, you made a doctor's appointment without even having a BFP? Also, you couldn't have had any symptoms at two weeks pregnant.
    Yes, if it turns out you were only 6 weeks along when you thought you were 8, doesn't that mean when you first tested, you were not, in fact, pregnant?
  • Options
    I'm not sure what BFP means. My ob/gyn doesn't do conformation tests, you have to wait until you're 8 weeks or at least think you're 8 weeks. That's why they ask you for the first day of your last period, mine was march 22nd. That would make my due date December 26 or 27 but instead it's January 10th. When I went to my doctors appointment they did an ultrasound and I was really 6 weeks instead of 8.
    You could even ask my husband if you wanted to, he thought I was crazy saying I was pregnant before my period was due but I just knew.
    They say there's no way you can tell you're pregnant at two weeks but they're full of crap. You just know because it's your body, you just have a weird feeling like something is off because it is. You just know, especially if you've been pregnant before.
    Scientists have these technologies that they can sort of see how the brain works and all of that crap but they don't know exactly what's in your head and what and how you're really feeling. And there's a lot of other women who agree with me.
    They say the very first symptom of pregnancy is fatigue besides a missed period. Which I believe is true. It's hard to notice it especially if you feel tired all of the time anyways but you just have to pay attention to your body.
    I was pregnant four months before I conceived this time but I miscarried. So I knew what to look for with symptoms or anything. So please don't try to argue with me when I know what was going on at that time.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what BFP means. My ob/gyn doesn't do conformation tests, you have to wait until you're 8 weeks or at least think you're 8 weeks. That's why they ask you for the first day of your last period, mine was march 22nd. That would make my due date December 26 or 27 but instead it's January 10th. When I went to my doctors appointment they did an ultrasound and I was really 6 weeks instead of 8. You could even ask my husband if you wanted to, he thought I was crazy saying I was pregnant before my period was due but I just knew. They say there's no way you can tell you're pregnant at two weeks but they're full of crap. You just know because it's your body, you just have a weird feeling like something is off because it is. You just know, especially if you've been pregnant before. Scientists have these technologies that they can sort of see how the brain works and all of that crap but they don't know exactly what's in your head and what and how you're really feeling. And there's a lot of other women who agree with me. They say the very first symptom of pregnancy is fatigue besides a missed period. Which I believe is true. It's hard to notice it especially if you feel tired all of the time anyways but you just have to pay attention to your body. I was pregnant four months before I conceived this time but I miscarried. So I knew what to look for with symptoms or anything. So please don't try to argue with me when I know what was going on at that time.

Not trying to be rude here but I think you might be a little confused. I do believe that some women "just know" that they are pregnant prior to taking a test but you wouldn't be having ANY type of symptoms at 2 weeks because you aren't even pregnant then. Fertilization doesn't even happen until sometime in week three. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

The only way you can test negative and still end up being pregnant is if you were to test too early. This does not sound like the case for you, as it has been over a month since you've had sex. I lurk the TTGP board, and agree with PPs that you'll find lots of great info there! My only other suggestion is to be sure to read the Newbie Guide posted there, as well ;) you will thank yourself for doing so.

Although this sounds right and logical, it is possible to have false neg. With hpts. I had 5 and a dr office urine test. All neg. I was about 10 weeks pg with twins. Didn't know at the time (obviously ) so rushed to a dr, scared I had cancer or worse. In all the blood work she did a pg test. It was positive, no idea why all the tests were neg. It is unlikely, but does happen. So if you really think you are pg. Go to your dr.
  • Options
    JenWi15 said:
    Although this sounds right and logical, it is possible to have false neg. With hpts. I had 5 and a dr office urine test. All neg. I was about 10 weeks pg with twins. Didn't know at the time (obviously ) so rushed to a dr, scared I had cancer or worse. In all the blood work she did a pg test. It was positive, no idea why all the tests were neg. It is unlikely, but does happen. So if you really think you are pg. Go to your dr.
    You may have had the Hook Effect, it is very rare though.

Btw at 2 weeks pregnant a person is just ovulating.
  • Options
    Yes, I didn't see she was only 2 weeks
  • Options
    If you test too early yes, i got a negative result in this pregnancy because i took it too early. Best to wait until around the time you are due for your period
  • Options
    I'm kind of going through the same...I have had positive tests but I've also had negative tests. I can't seem to confirm pregnancy... In the mean time I had to go buy a belly band today because the hairties are starting to bust trying to keep my pants on lol. I have considered ovarian cancer because the symptoms are similar. I just keep bugging my doctors. I'll figure it out one day
  • Options

I'm kind of going through the same...I have had positive tests but I've also had negative tests. I can't seem to confirm pregnancy... In the mean time I had to go buy a belly band today because the hairties are starting to bust trying to keep my pants on lol. I have considered ovarian cancer because the symptoms are similar. I just keep bugging my doctors. I'll figure it out one day

They won't do a blood test or transvaginal ultrasound? That would square things away pretty easily.
  • Options
    Yes I got 2 negative ones due to medication I was on. Woke up next day & went to dr to find I was 4 weeks pregnant with their urine test but they even had a hard time telling.
  • Options

Yes I got 2 negative ones due to medication I was on. Woke up next day & went to dr to find I was 4 weeks pregnant with their urine test but they even had a hard time telling.

Never heard of medication causing this.....
    Sounds like it wasn't a false negative but that you tested too early.
    How did the doctor know you were four weeks just from a urine test?

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had two negative home pregnant tests and found out I was pregnant when I went to see a nurse! I'm 13w4d now. You have to take the home test first thing in the morning, or it won't be accurate. Or if you are very early on in your pregnancy, it'll be false negative as well! Good luck.
  • Options
    Oh and I took the home pregnancy tests when my period was already 2 weeks overdue. Sometimes you don't ovulate on time. If you drink too much water, your urine will be dilute and the test will also show negative early on.
  • Options
    I agree with pugsandkisses on every point except the LP. Not everyone is perfectly regular, so it can vary when you ovulate. But, as she said, temperature (and also, LH home tests) can predict when you actually are ovulating.

Also, early pregnancy symptoms can vary. With my first, I had almost none, whatsoever, yet I always know for certain when I'm ovulating by the terrible back cramps and mucous I encounter. With this pregnancy, I had crazy sore breasts from day one to now (at 11 weeks), nausea, and every other symptom under the sun. The only symptom that always tells me (I've actually been pregnant 4 times, with 2 miscarriages) is my super-strong sense of smell. Most women I know have encountered this for all pregnancies, as well. It starts up around the first week of pregnancy, and continues throughout most of the first trimester.

I wish you all the best of luck and hope you get a positive soon!
    Me: 32, DH: 35
    Married to DH: 11-13-10
    DS #1: EDD: 9/25/12, Born 10-9-12
    DS #2: EDD: 6-19-16, Born 6-14-16
  • Options
    purplefan1purplefan1 member
    edited December 2015
    I think I'm having trouble with the term "false negatives". I've heard of false positives, where the pregnancy test indicates pregnancy but when you go for a follow up nothing is present on a scan or additional tests. This has been linked typically to chemical pregnancies where the pregnancy fails to progress from the very early stages but stuck around long enough to turn a test positive. As for false negatives, typically you will get a negative if

1) you aren't pregnant

2) you tested too earlier and the amount of hcg needed to turn the test hasn't built up in your system yet

3) you performed the test incorrectly

4) you used diluted urine

5) you are testing fairly early and didn't use FMU, which has been shown to typically be higher in concentration and therefore have a higher amount of hcg to turn the test.

So I don't know that I would call these "false" negatives. I do know some women have had situations where they have no turned a pregnancy tests for weeks after when they should have, but this is uncommon and would be the only time the term "false negative" would apply.

I agree, go to the TTC board and learn some more information. It definitely helps to lurk a lot too and just read info. I lurked on site and others for the past year and a half while TTC to learn about info before I even joined and started sharing/asking.

And for the girl who got in to see the doc without a positive pregnancy test-kudos. My doc would have refused to see me until the pregnancy test turned positive and wouldn't do confirmation blood tests/beta tests until after the at home pregnancy test either.

Edited because words are hard late at night
  • Options
    I have never heard of a medication inhibiting the conversion of HCG into your urine. Please, I am curious, what medication were you on?
  • Options
    In my case I had gotten a few negative urine tests. Two of them were at home so I was concerned bc my body never really got back on a normal cycle after my MC so I made a Drs appt. they did a urine test at the office which was negative and then did an hcg blood test which came back at 38 (positive). Nurse told me it has to start somewhere and I just happened to catch my pregnancy super early. She also said urine tests generally don't turn a positive until hcg is at least 100. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    purplefan1purplefan1 member
    edited December 2015
    It would seem again every person is different which is why it is difficult to compare stories. I took a test when I thought I was 12dpo based on a positive OPK and my cycles, which I have been tracking for two years. No temping though, so can't be sure. (According to initial scan, it was closer to around 9-10 dpo). I took either a Walmart $.88 one or a $tree one, I can't recall and got a faint positive. I took a digital about an hour later with whatever urine I could get out and that said pregnant. I went to the doctor that day to get a beta done and check progesterone and came back with an hcg level of 29.97.

Edited because bump keeps kicking me off and telling me I don't have permission to do stuff.