May 2016 Moms

Nest Cam or Other Video Monitors..

I'm thinking since Black Friday is such a good time to order electronics, I should scoop up a video monitor.  I think I want something that I can use my phone or iPad to view the stream, so I'm looking at the Nest Cam.  Has anyone used this before?  I like the idea of just getting the wifi camera instead of a specific baby monitor product because of the versatility.  Any suggestions of other cameras/video monitors?

I'm not going to lie, I'll probably set it up early and creep on my dog during the day.
Me: 27    DH: 30
Married in 2011
Baby 1: Stillborn at 27 weeks (April 2014)
Baby 2: Due May 2016

Re: Nest Cam or Other Video Monitors..

• I'm thinking since Black Friday is such a good time to order electronics, I should scoop up a video monitor.  I think I want something that I can use my phone or iPad to view the stream, so I'm looking at the Nest Cam.  Has anyone used this before?  I like the idea of just getting the wifi camera instead of a specific baby monitor product because of the versatility.  Any suggestions of other cameras/video monitors?

I'm not going to lie, I'll probably set it up early and creep on my dog during the day.

I don't have reviews on this specific brand, but I definitely suggest one that connects to your wifi just for safety purposes. I've read stories of people hacking into baby video monitors and either stealing stuff, or freaking the parents out. You can google it, some may make you laugh and some is seriously disturbing. But yes, that's my 2 cents...make sure it's on a secure network!
  • I'm thinking since Black Friday is such a good time to order electronics, I should scoop up a video monitor.  I think I want something that I can use my phone or iPad to view the stream, so I'm looking at the Nest Cam.  Has anyone used this before?  I like the idea of just getting the wifi camera instead of a specific baby monitor product because of the versatility.  Any suggestions of other cameras/video monitors?

I don't have reviews on this specific brand, but I definitely suggest one that connects to your wifi just for safety purposes. I've read stories of people hacking into baby video monitors and either stealing stuff, or freaking the parents out. You can google it, some may make you laugh and some is seriously disturbing. But yes, that's my 2 cents...make sure it's on a secure network!
    This. We used a wifi cam for a short period of time before we started having issues with it. We use a Motorola video monitor and love it. Worth every penny.
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't researched too much yet, but know there are apps that let you use old iPhones or iPads as monitors that stream to your current device. I'm going to try this route since it will run on our wifi and be essentially free since we have old unused devices lying around.
  • @sunshinebins & @jenly17 Oh creepy!  Yeah, from what I've read the Nest is secure.  Man, that would scare me though!

@pascal86 That's interesting!  I've never heard of that before.  We have a couple of old iphones laying around, too.  I want something with night vision (I'm probably not using the correct terminology), so that wouldn't work.  I could use that for other things, though.
    Married in 2011

• First I bought the Babies R Us brand video monitor and I hated it.

Then I bought the VTech Safe & Sound video monitor and I really like this one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love my VTech one. I think in January a year ago there was a random sale where it was marked down from $150 to $65. Lucie's List is awesome for alerting you of last minute or pop up sales.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Question for this thread!

For our first we have an old video monitor from my sister that is about 10 yrs old. It's very bulky and only black and white, but hey, it works and we had so much other stuff to get the first time around. It basically just has a setting where the monitor is either on, or, you could turn off the monitor screen and just have the sound on (what we basically use now).

We want to get a new one this time because the one we have is on it's last leg. For the ones that stream on a device - how does that work? Like, I had the monitor screen turned on all night for her first, I don't know, year or so because I was so paranoid. Is that not an option for the kind that stream on devices? Do you constantly have to open an app to view the video in the middle of the night? If that's the case, I will never sleep :)

Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • @finnybooboo That's a good question.  From what I understand, I think you can just run the app as long as you want to watch the feed (with nest and other security cameras).  You might just have to change some settings in your phone to avoid the screen going to sleep.  I've researched Nest the most, and they also send notifications when there is unusual activity occurring.  I guess it ignores common sounds like grunts, but will alert you when there is crying.  However, our room is so close to where baby's will be, I'm sure I would hear the crying regardless.

I like hearing people's experiences with different video monitors.  Maybe they aren't entirely necessary, either.  I am leaning towards a camera like Nest, so then I can repurpose it after I don't need it for baby anymore.  You can get cases for outdoor mounts, so I could use it as an outdoor camera.
    Married in 2011

• Here's a link to one of the baby monitoring apps:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cloud-baby-monitor-unlimited/id432791399?mt=8

Like I said, I haven't done a lot of research into them, but for $6 or whatever, I'm definitely going to look into it and give it a try!
  • We've had two Motorola monitors and love them. We've also tried the Summer Infant one that paired with iPhone - I found it really hard to hear and see, but most likely because the Motorola resolution/night vision is much better and that's what I'm accustomed to. Video monitor is a must for us, DS makes all kinds of noise at night so it was helpful when he was little to see if he was just making noise or was legitimately awake. Less important now at 20 months but I still check on him regularly just to see his sleepy little face.
  • Reviving this thread!

I am not tech-savy and could use some help with baby monitors. 
    BIL got us this at our shower. https://us.dlink.com/products/home-solutions/pan-tilt-daynight-network-camera/

I've been worried about cameras after hearing how easily they can be hacked. Does anyone know if this type is more secure? I know it somehow uses our home wifi router to connect the video to our phones. I don't want to use something that someone could hack to look at our baby or target our home. 

I honestly was not going to get a monitor because our house is not huge. Do you all consider it a necessity so you can get things done in other parts of the house while LO is napping? 

Any advice would be a huge help! 
  • This is a creepy story of someone hacking the monitor and using the 2-way communication and speaking through the baby monitor.  https://www.sileo.com/baby-cam-hacked-what-you-can-do-to-protect-yourself-and-your-children/.  They offer tips to keep your device safe.  I think the biggest thing is making sure your wifi network is secure. 

Maybe someone a little more tech savvy can shed some light?

FYI -- I started this thread with my old account and I just ended up buying this Bayit camera.  It's on sale at Staples right now for $50 (originally $200).  https://www.staples.com/Bayit-Home-Automation-Wi-Fi-IP-Internet-HD-Surveillance-Camera/product_1928720

• js8812  thanks! I hate hearing these stories - but I know it can happen so I appreciate the tips! I'll need to recruit someone to make sure my wifi is secure because I literally have no idea how to change anything. I think the one we got is the digital type but I'm not sure. 

I'm still debating maybe not using it..? 
  • edited February 2016
    I am using mine right now for my toddler, the video has been a must for us.  The brand is Motorola.  We live rural so I am not worried about someone being close enough to hack it.  I don't use my phone or any apps with it. 
  • We have a Foscam brand camera. You can listen through it and talk through it and it has night vision. Currently use it to spy on our dog when we're not home - but it'll be moved into baby's room when she comes :)