May 2016 Moms
Options

Maternity Pants won't stay up- need advice

So I bought my maternity pants almost 2 months ago with a little give room because I was told that my thighs and hips would likely get bigger and need the extra space.

Well, so far all growth is in my tummy and as I have worn in my maternity pants a bit, they are starting to fall down quite frequently. Just walking my pup from the parking lot to the pet store is enough to end up with my rear end partially exposed.

I can't fit into mynormal jeans because of my belly, but this is getting old fast. Ladies, do you have any ideas what I can do?

Re: Maternity Pants won't stay up- need advice

• Options
    Are you able to fold them down?
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    bellaband
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm guessing these aren't full belly pants? Mine are all full belly, and they stay up nicely. Maybe that would help!
  • Options
    Maybe wash them in a hot cycle and run them through the dryer? Works to shrink normal pants by accident...
  • Options
    I wear tank tops under all my shirts and sweaters, helps hold them up a bit!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    Wat brand are they target pants did that to I got some at motherhood
  • Options
    The sales rep at pea in the pod told me to buy my pre pregnancy size in maternity clothes. I thought she was crazy when I put on a pair of skinny jeans that fit perfect, but she assured me they'll stretch with wear and plus they are more spandex-y thank regular jeans. I wore them for the first time today after buying them 3-4 weeks ago, and she was so right! Maybe by the third trimester, I'll need to buy a bigger size, but so far they are growing with me.
  • Options
    I have the same issue except that my pants fit my butt and thighs...they still slip down though. I ordered some clips that are specifically for maternity Jean slippage. They look like little suspenders clips that you attach to the top of the maternity pants and the bottom of your bra on the sides. Very stoked to try them out when they arrive!
  • Options

Kurrant said:
    I have the same issue except that my pants fit my butt and thighs...they still slip down though. I ordered some clips that are specifically for maternity Jean slippage. They look like little suspenders clips that you attach to the top of the maternity pants and the bottom of your bra on the sides. Very stoked to try them out when they arrive!

Do you have a link for these things?  I'm super interested. 

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! They are from Destination Maternity- jean material to low rise and then full belly panel of the spandex type material. I bought in my prepregnancy size but there was at least a half to full inch of extra material on either side that I could pinch when I tried them on in store, which the associate said was correct. I should note that I have always been a bit more top heavy and probably could have been 1-2 normal sizes smaller if not for zipping the pants over my tummy.

I typically only wear the maternity pants once or twice between washes to try shrinking, but the effect doesn't last very long.

Ooo, the suspenders look awesome! I'm pretty tall with a long trunk, so those would probably be the most invisible option (there's very little overlap between the jean material and maternity shirts).
  • Options
    amscapeamscape member
    edited November 2015
    I just bought a pair of maternity jeans on Sat & am having the same issue. I'm hoping it goes away as I get bigger because it's not going to work out to wear them to work otherwise!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! They are from Destination Maternity- jean material to low rise and then full belly panel of the spandex type material. I bought in my prepregnancy size but there was at least a half to full inch of extra material on either side that I could pinch when I tried them on in store, which the associate said was correct.

That's so weird! That's the exact opposite of what the sales rep who helped me said. I told her there feels like no extra room around my hips. She stuck her hand in the pockets of the jeans when I had them all, and told me no, they are the perfect fit. She said I didn't want to buy jeans with extra room with the expectation I'll get bigger when it comes to maternity jeans because they are made with the intention that your stomach and hips will expand. I was extra paranoid because I have larger thighs, but I trusted her and like I said, a month later, they still fit great. Plus she was spot on when I wore them for the first time yesterday they strecthed. I wasn't pulling them up while walking, but I did have to readjust after standing up.
  • Options
    I agree not to buy big in maternity jeans. Can you go buy some that fit your hips and thighs better? I still have to pull my maternity pants up all the time even though they fit around the hips and thighs, but that gets better once the bump gets bigger.
  • Options
    It sounds counterintuitive but I wear a belt with my side panel jeans. I'm able to wear it low enough that it totally goes below the bump and holds everything up. Fortunately I had a belt around that I normally wore on one of the smallest holes; now that I'm wearing it so much lower I wear it on the largest.
  • Options
    Maybe a large stitch (that you could easily get scissors under and remove later) will help? I also wear tanks under my shirts and they help hold up my slightly too big maternity pants.
    #1 Claire 12.17.13 & #2 EDD 5.11.16

• Options
    I always buy the full panel maternity pants in my normal size. I like the full panel so I can attempt to tuck them under the band of my bra, then wear a fitted tank and that helps to hold them up 
  • Options
    Ha, eat more cake. Its helping me fit into my too big pants ;) Can you return for a smaller size?

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    missnc77 said:
    The sales rep at pea in the pod told me to buy my pre pregnancy size in maternity clothes. I thought she was crazy when I put on a pair of skinny jeans that fit perfect, but she assured me they'll stretch with wear and plus they are more spandex-y thank regular jeans. I wore them for the first time today after buying them 3-4 weeks ago, and she was so right! Maybe by the third trimester, I'll need to buy a bigger size, but so far they are growing with me.

I went shopping at pea in the pod today and they told me the same thing--buy your pre-pregnancy size.
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    I added a strip of elastic to mine that I can easily remove later.
  • Options
    yogahh said:

Ha, eat more cake. Its helping me fit into my too big pants ;) Can you return for a smaller size?

I wish! Unfortunately I waited too long. I asked my husband about buying a size down and he gave my crazy eyes. I like your cake idea though and doubt my husband would object to homemade baked goods!
  • Options
    If you go to a true maternity clothing store they are pretty good at helping with sizes. I used to work at Motherhood and that's one thing they drilled in our heads, buy your normal size, they should fit like regular pants and stretch/grow with you. Unless you gain an excessive amount of weight you should not need a bigger size.
  • Options
    I've bought jeans from both Kohls & Old Navy and they both kept falling down. Then I bought one from Motherhood Maternity and those work great. Sorry I'm no help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker