December 2015 Moms
Options

Some assembly required rant

You would think manufacturers would make baby furniture, swings, bouncers and assorted things easy to assemble, but apparently I need an engineering degree and Channing Tatum's muscles to put together the freaking the rock and play.

Thanks for letting me vent. Feel free to add and GIF.

Re: Some assembly required rant

• Options
    Yeah, assembly is a beast. And the instruction diagrams...
  • Options
    I broke a sweat earlier today trying to put mine together.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My husband and I almost killed each other trying to put the stroller together. I know what you're saying. lol
  • Options
    I put the crib together backwards and proceeded to throw the biggest pregnant hissy fit regarding the situation. Sucked it up and fixed the issue, only to repeat this with the bassinet a few weeks later. I am so done with putting this baby stuff together, 
  • Options
    The reversible napper/diaper changer that came with my pack n play is sitting 1/2 assembled on the nursery floor after it sent me into tears last night. I'm just going to let my husband do it. He's just better than me at this shit.
  • Options
    Omg this! Is it a test to make sure we're smart enough to raise a child? Lol if you can't get the swing built you have to put your child up for adoption. Lmao sheesh.
  • Options
    My husband put ours together today and was super frustrated and cursing!
  • Options
    Ugh I totally feel for you. DH doesn't like reading directions and gets frustrated when I try to correct what he's doing by reading the directions.

Side note: if only we had Channing Tatum around to help us out at all times!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    I assembled the changing table while DH was gone this afternoon. When I was finished, I needed another shower and my forearm is really sore from the amount of elbow grease I had to put behind the screwdriver. Really looking forward to assembling the swing (insert sarcasm font).

We won't even discuss the directions. Purely pictorial, not a single word to help figure it out. I had to go back and undo quite a number of things once I realized that I had used the wrong piece in one spot or another, and now needed that piece for the part I was working on at that time. I could have skipped the gym today with the amount of effort I had to put into a simple changing table!
  • Options
    If it weren't for my DH, everything would still be in boxes. I did however assemble the bouncer/swing.. It only took 3 days because I became frustrated with it. I think it is a lot of work to take take tags off/get items out of packaging, for instance, baby socks. DH and I concluded its to prevent theft lol
  • Options
    I was able to purchase an unused Halo bassinest at a great price for this reason... in reverse.  
    The baby it was originally for wouldn't sleep in it.  Mom and Dad were basically traumatized by the assembly of the thing that the thought of taking it apart and getting back into the packaging to return to amazon was just too much.  It was priced to sell fast!
    So glad I did not have to assemble it.

Of all the things that gave me trouble during assembly... I am still the most pissed about the car seat!  I opened it and was immediately repulsed by all the stickers!  I immediately began to pick/peel them off!  I eventually realized that they were so hard to take off... gee I bet it's hard for a reason, I probably shouldn't be doing this.  LOL warranty voided.  I felt pretty stupid.
  • Options
    All of the above.. We got a day bed from IKEA to put in the nursery (used to be our guest room) and that was a special day in hell for our marriage.. The drawers stil don't slide like they are supposed too.
  • Options
    With DD, DH spent 2 hours assembling the pack n play in our living room. We were planning on putting it in our bedroom so I had suggested he assemble it In the bedroom but he didn't want to listen. Yes well we learned quickly that pack n plays and cribs are purposely made bigger than door frames so they can't go through doors. So 45 minutes late of deassembling to reassembling it was in our bedroom. DH was not happy and I tried not to say I told you so.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options

All of the above.. We got a day bed from IKEA to put in the nursery (used to be our guest room) and that was a special day in hell for our marriage.. The drawers stil don't slide like they are supposed too.

Yes, ikea assembly is its own special brand of torture.
  • Options
    Mags128 said:

With DD, DH spent 2 hours assembling the pack n play in our living room. We were planning on putting it in our bedroom so I had suggested he assemble it In the bedroom but he didn't want to listen. Yes well we learned quickly that pack n plays and cribs are purposely made bigger than door frames so they can't go through doors. So 45 minutes late of deassembling to reassembling it was in our bedroom. DH was not happy and I tried not to say I told you so.

What's the reason for them purposely not being able to go thru doors? Any idea? I thought the pack n plays were supposed to be easy to move around with and then my parents had the exact same issue with the one they got for their house.
  • Options
    haylierm said:
    What's the reason for them purposely not being able to go thru doors? Any idea? I thought the pack n plays were supposed to be easy to move around with and then my parents had the exact same issue with the one they got for their house.

I think it's so if the kids can figure out how to move the crib or pack n play on their own they won't be able to move it through the doorway so they can't go down the stairs. After 2 years we are much better with the pack n play but are struggling with the swing I thought DH was going to lose it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    Yes the swing! We got ours as a gift in the mail and I was too excited to wait for hubby to come home to put it together. I was so sore and uncomfortable after I had to lie down.

We got a high chair a week later and it's still in the box (waiting for hubby because I just can't!!)
  • Options
    My stroller and bassinet were extremely easy to set up (yay peg perego!!) but I'm anticipating my crib to be a nightmare. It is currently still in the box. My DH and dad are gonna work on it today. Please pray for us. :)
  • Options
    Beckah31 said:

Basically- this is me assembling the swing. SO found it so amusing to watch he went and got himself a beer and propped his feet up. He wasn't even mad I made us late to go to dinner and wouldn't let him help me.

Oh I'd be so mad!!!
  • Options
    amye02 said:

You would think manufacturers would make baby furniture, swings, bouncers and assorted things easy to assemble, but apparently I need an engineering degree and Channing Tatum's muscles to put together the freaking the rock and play.

Thanks for letting me vent. Feel free to add and GIF.

DH has an engineering degree. :smiley:

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Pack and play was easy for me as I have younger siblings and had to help out a lot. The crib is what I am dreading. Neither of us had ever put one together and we bought second had so there is no instructions. I can find the manual online but we are still waiting to move so I have time to figure it out. The stroller was almost easy. There was a button I could not find and the picture was not helpful but I got it after 10 minutes.

@Beckah31 that would have pissed me off so bad. I'm stubborn but I would have walked away from that.
  • Options
    Okay, so my UO is apparently: I LOVE putting together IKEA furniture. I actually didn't put together the crib because I felt like it was a rite of passage for DH but I (really) wanted to do it.

I don't enjoy putting things together that are made of plastic and metal because they typically have some part that requires enough muscle I think something is going to break. DH is really good at assembly if he slows down enough to check the directions and doesn't "over-muscle" the assembly.
  • Options
    My FB status yesterday literally said, "If parental ability was based solely on a couple's ability to put together a Pack n Play then DH and I are doomed. My sis handed down hers to us so it was mostly assembled but came with no directions. Trying to figure out how to use the bassinet portion and assemble the add ons was both comical and complete hell all at the same time. 
  • Options
    My DH has spent over 5 hours building a dresser today.  He's still in there! I'm staying away for the sake of our marriage.
  • Options
    I found YouTube video instructions! It was a life saver, since Channing must be busy and couldn't come help out