Infertility
Options

Nervous about 5-day transfer

Hi!
I started IVF treatment and had my first aspiration. And boy did that hurt! Got some extra doses of morfin, which I'm very happy for.
I apparently was over stimulated which made it hurt more (not sure it was the ultrasound thingy or the needle I disliked most)
Had 18 follicles with 16 eggs!
Since I was over stimulated they recommended to wait 5 days instead of 3.
This morning they called and of the 16 eggs 13 got fertilised and I had 12 that started dividing. Which are good odds.
But now I'm scared I'll have none left by Tuesday!
Has anyone else transfers 5-day blastocyst?

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Nervous about 5-day transfer

• Options
    Trust me, with that many eggs I wouldn't worry. I did a 5 day transfer with only 4 fertilized eggs, and half of them made it to grade A, 5 day, blasts.
  • Options
    Thank you for replying.
    I never heard of this 5-day transfer so got worried when they suddenly mention it.
    Got told not to worry, but that they could not guarantee good eggs.
    I know that's to cover their butts when things go wrong, but my brain start panicking:)
    But with 5 keeping 4...I should be fine with my 12 :)
    Thank you for calming my nerves!

**********************************************************************************************************************************

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    5 day is the most common transfer at my clinic. I was told they don't do near as many 3 day transfers. Perfectly normal. :)
  • Options
    Both 3-day and 5-day transfers have high likelihood of a good outcome. I second your RE, don't worry! Make sure you rest in the meantime and day of. Enjoy the magic of the ET and GL! :)
  • Options
    5-day is good.  When they transfer at 3-days, it's because they're worried about whether they can make it to 5-days, and hope that the uterus is a better environment.  If they're recommending 5-days, it suggests very good quality.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    Thank you lovely ladies for your messages.
    I'm definitely less worried.
    My body stopped aching too, so feel much more relaxed.
    Even though I got told a lot, looked up information about IVF I still feel a complete newby!
    My mother left yesterday as she couldn't postpone her trip home, so I'm stuck in another country a few days extra...and boy is that mind a powerful organ!
    But I actually had a relaxing day, and am glad it's soon Tuesday!

Again, thanx for the replies. It means a lot!

x

• Options
    My RE likes to wait for the embryo to develop into a blast therefore he does a 5-day transfer when possible. 12 is a good number. You'll probably even have a couple left for freezing. The transfer doesn't hurt at all. It's similar to a Pap smear. The most uncomfortable part is having a full bladder. Try to relax, some RE's will give you Valium. Mine did not and I ws fine. Once you see your little embaby inside of you, you'll completely forget about the catheter and full bladder.

Good luck and FX for you!
  • Options
    Good to know it's like a Pap smear. I've been inseminated before, which was uncomfortable but not painful.
    The full bladder part...I'm a nervous pee-er, so it will be tough not to pee before leaving the hotel tomorrow :smiley:

• Options
    @tvh1982 good luck! Did you opt to do IVF in another country? How has the experience been, never mind the Q if I missunderstood.
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012
  • Options
    @vssbrm I'm indeed doing IVF in another country.
    I'm originally Dutch, but live in Norway.
    As I do not have a husband and use a donor, I'm not allowed to get IVF with donor in Norway. But in Denmark it is allowed. So a lot of single women, or couples that don't want to wait too long, travel to Denmark.
    Only the actual procedure is not allowed (taking out and putting back) the rest of the process, before and after, I'm allowed to do back home :)