2nd Trimester
Options

Stomach sleepers - want to commiserate?

I'm 15 weeks and am still occasionally able to get comfortable sleeping on my stomach. At this point, my biggest issue is trying to get my sore boobs comfortable enough so I don't feel like I'm totally smooshing them. I'm a little worried about when I can no longer sleep comfortably on my stomach because right now, that's the only position that allows me to get decent sleep. I doze in and out all night when I'm on my side and have never been able to sleep on my back, which apparently isn't a desirable position when you're pregnant anyhow.  Anyone have any magical solutions for stomach sleepers?  I'm guessing I'm going to have to just suck it up eventually and sleep after the baby is born. *sigh*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me: 39 DH: 41
Met in HS, but lost touch for 12 years after graduation
1st Date: 5/27/06
Engaged: 9/16/13
Married: 6/20/15
BFP: 9/2/15
CVS: 11/3/15 (all good news - thank God!)
EDD: 5/11/16

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Stomach sleepers - want to commiserate?

• Options
    I too am a stomach sleeper and I found it hard to get completely comfortable at first. I'm now 25weeks.
    I have a body pillow and it's worked wonders! I sort of lift bump onto it and wedge myself into it, twist my hips and lift a leg up... If that makes any sense! Ha!
    It still kind of feels like I'm sleeping on my front but not squashing bump.
  • Options
    Same here with the pregnancy pillow. It prevents me from turning to my back, yet if I cuddle up to it on a bit of an angle, it almost feels like I'm sleeping on my stomach. DH got me the pillow around 12 weeks-ish, and it's been the best thing!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you, ladies - I've just got a body pillow, but it's not helping much.  Maybe I'll check out something a bit more substantial today while I'm out running errands. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me: 39 DH: 41
    Met in HS, but lost touch for 12 years after graduation
    1st Date: 5/27/06
    Engaged: 9/16/13
    Married: 6/20/15
    BFP: 9/2/15
    CVS: 11/3/15 (all good news - thank God!)
    EDD: 5/11/16

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I have never been able to sleep if I'm not on my stomach! It's been the hardest thing about this pregnancy. I tried to get used to side sleeping too when I was around 15 weeks and the body pillow didn't help. Now I'm 25 weeks and my bump has exploded and my body pillow is the best thing ever. I had actually given the pillow to the dog because I thought it was so uncomfortable. I'm used to a super soft squishy pillow and now I needed something more substantial because I was getting horrible neck aches and headaches from not having enough support. Now, my worst problems are painful hips. After sleeping on my side, it almost feels like I have a giant bruise on the side of my hip. It helps when I sleep with the pillow under both my knees instead of between them. To sum up: side sleeping is the worst!!!
  • Options
    I just got a regular pillow and kind of hug it while I sleep. I hate sleeping on my side (always have) and this is a bit of a struggle for me. I toss and turn a lot :(
  • Options
    36 weeks here and lurking/walking down memory lane. 

There will come a time when even just rolling from one side to another will be something you'll have to wake up to do. And it will require strategy and many noises. 

I didn't think i'd survive side-sleeping. Because typically i hate it. But the snoogle was completely miraculous and I would absolutely call this a must-have of pregnancy. (I call it the noodle, the sausage) I've only tried one, the one that rolls up like a pretzel. There are a ton of shapes. I think most of them are good. I know it doesn't sound like it would make a huge difference but it gives you that support that you lack sleeping on your side. That lack of support is what most non-side-sleepers hate about side sleeping. 

The first night or so, you might get strained muscles because it's new. Now i don't think i could live without it. I even plan to keep using it after pregnancy.
  • Options
    I wasn't able to go back to stomach sleeping after DD was born- even though the bump is gone if you are breastfeeding it can atill be really uncomfortable. I think it was about 6 months before I could get back on my stomach. I still miss it- my arms go to sleep when I'm on my side no matter what I do.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    36 weeks as well. What is this sleep you speak of?

Honestly side sleeping isn't as bad as it seems, I was a stomach sleeper pre pregnancy. You learn to live with it. Invest in a great pillow.
  • Options
    23 weeks and ive slept on my tummy my whole life. I have found the last week or so i am naturally falling asleep a bit on my side which is keeping the pressure off my tummy. I expect as i get bigger i will just jeep migrating to side sleeping, also a small cushion placed under my leg makes things really comfy
  • Options
    ehowa499 said:

I wasn't able to go back to stomach sleeping after DD was born- even though the bump is gone if you are breastfeeding it can atill be really uncomfortable. I think it was about 6 months before I could get back on my stomach. I still miss it- my arms go to sleep when I'm on my side no matter what I do.

If you sleep with your arm under your pillow and head like I do, I found placing a small soft pillow under my armpit lifts a lot of the pressure off and my hands don't fall asleep anymore.
  • Options
    JMarie1291JMarie1291 member
    edited November 2015
    28w4d i still wake up on my tummy every time just about! I also invested in 2 body pillows the S shape and U shape. Everytime I wake up its on the floor I hate them! I use my husband as a body pillow now and will put a pillow behind my back for support but still end up on my belly.
  • Options
    KtjennksKtjennks member
    edited November 2015
    I also hate the big pregnancy pillows. Mine stays on the floor. It hurts my neck and it just makes it that much harder to change positions at night bc I have this huge ass thing taking up so much room. I sleep better with one pillow under my head, keeping the bottom leg straight while the other is over lapping the bottom so the entire thing is on the bed,bent like a square (if that makes sense). I can then sleep like I'm on my stomach but I'm actually not at all.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a stomach sleeper and was miserable trying to use a body pillow. I just got the snoogle on Amazon for $44 and it's amazing!