March 2016 Moms
Options

Inducing Labor due to Holiday

So, several friends have been induced early due their due dates falling on or too close to holidays....

I'm due on Easter Sunday... I'm sure a lot of us are due around that time as well.

I'm a FTM and don't know how to navigate that inevitable discussion because I've found out my doctor is one of those kind of doctors and likes his holidays.

Has anyone had this happen to them or has to been brought up yet at any appointments? I'm going to ask on the 11th when we go again.

Re: Inducing Labor due to Holiday

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah apparently he's trying to force his own daughter in law into being induced so the baby won't come on Thanksgiving.

One friend delivered Wednesday and another today, both induced, both due on Thanksgiving. Both in different states with different doctors, so I know it's not just my doctor...

I'm not sure how to deal with this issue when it arises.
  • Options
    Here's the deal though: if your child decides to come on their due date, which is unlikely to say the least, SOMEONE will be able to deliver...it may not be him. You just have to ask yourself if that matters. If not, then tell him no.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My certified nurse midwives wanted to induce me with my last pregnancy, and I'm pretty sure it was because of the upcoming 4th of July. I wasn't even a week over my due date when they issued me a prescription for an induction and I was shocked. I really didn't expect that from midwives! Luckily I went into labor naturally the day before my scheduled induction, because otherwise I just planned to "forget" the appointment and wait till my body did its thing.
  • Options

Here's the deal though: if your child decides to come on their due date, which is unlikely to say the least, SOMEONE will be able to deliver...it may not be him. You just have to ask yourself if that matters. If not, then tell him no.

This ^ there will be a doctor to deliver your baby no matter what. This is my first baby but I'm pretty sure when the time comes the freaking janitor could catch my kid for all I care.
  • Options
    My first was born on Thanksgiving 2 weeks early.....

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    When my first daughter was born she was born at 1:52 AM and my doctor was leaving for vacation later that morning. I would have ended up with a strange doctor from a different practice. He tried to induce twice the day before in afternoon and evening. I ended up in labor for 18 hours. I was 18 when I had her and didn't know better than or I would have refused to let him to do it.
  • Options
    SparkE82SparkE82 member
    edited November 2015

My OB practice has SEVERAL doctors in it. They all take turns with who's on call. They have warned me EVERY visit that when its time to deliver, it may not be the doctor I usually see that delivers. It will be whoever is on call. I am perfectly ok with this as all the doctors at this practice are pretty darn awesome. None of them push for induction or C-sections unless its absolutely medically necessary.

I wouldn't induce just to avoid a holiday or my doctor leaving for vacation, etc... But that's just my opinion.

January siggy challenge - Pregnant lady problems

• Options
    Melodyags said:

When my first daughter was born she was born at 1:52 AM and my doctor was leaving for vacation later that morning. I would have ended up with a strange doctor from a different practice. He tried to induce twice the day before in afternoon and evening. I ended up in labor for 18 hours. I was 18 when I had her and didn't know better than or I would have refused to let him to do it.

My mom was induced with me early. She was also young and her doctor was also leaving for vacation. In hind sight she really regrets it because I had a lot of problems that could have been avoided if I'd just stayed in longer.
  • Options
    My dr mentioned being out for a week due to spring break. We didn't even talk dates, but I WILL NOT be getting a c section or pitocin just for this reason. No way. Someone else can catch my baby. I had pitocin at 41 weeks to get dd out and my number one delivery hope this time around is no pitocin.
  • Options
    In the UK we don't have a specific doctor... you see a team for antenatal including a community midwife that comes to your house before and after. When I go into labor I will go to the hospital and see who ever happens to be on that day.

So basically when in am pushing I will have someone by my side who does that exact thing multiple times a day and has seen everything... I have a written birthplan which was made in consultation with my community midwife and will be part of my file. I also live in a country where they try to use as little "medicine" as possible.and doesn't treat pregnancy like a disease but as a natural part of a woman's function. If I want gas&air or an epidural it is there for me.... but no one is talking induction unless you are in medical need, 42+ weeks or your waters broke without contractions 48+ hous before

LFAF- Best Olympic Moments...  Jackie Joyner-Kersee

• Options
    I would probably ask the OB now and see what his comments and preferences are.  You can still choose to have another OB if you want to.  I am not sure if I am ok with my OB inducing me so she can enjoy her day off.  If it is for medical reason that she has to induce me or speed up the process... I can totally accept that.  Maybe it turns out that he is not religious and wouldn't mind working on Easter Sunday.  
  • Options
    Here is my piece: I was a pre-holiday scheduled c-section.  My Mom was due with my older sister the first part of July and when she didn't come until the 7th, Mom's doctor was gone on vacation.  This led to a horrid birth experience (including forceps and vacuum) and ended in an emergency c-section because my sister turned and they just straight up couldn't get her out.  

When it came time for me to be born (due December 29th) my Mom went through an amnio at 36 weeks so that she could schedule a c-section with her doctor before he left for a Christmas vacation, thus my December 21st birthday.

Now, I am not saying that you should induce to avoid a holiday due date or let your doctor convince you to do something that you are not 110% comfortable with but I also totally understand the desire to be as sure as possible that it is your doctor that is delivering your baby and not "who ever is on call".
  • Options
    I go to a midwife and within the group of midwifes they trade shifts--- there's no expectation that a certain one will be there for delivery, but they offer chances to meet all of the midwives during the pregnancy. I'd much rather do it this way versus have one doctor and either be disappointed she's not the one there during delivery, or deal with her trying to make me labor on her schedule!

You might just want to go with the flow of whoever is on duty when you deliver... Or maybe look into hiring a doula who could be there no matter what and help you stick with your birth plan in case you end up with a doctor you are less comfortable with?
  • Options
    Doulas are awesome!
    My doctor (and many others) will still come to the hospital for their patients deliveries even when they aren't on call, but the on-call doctor covers for them when they are unable to come (out of town) or for a patient there for non-delivery situation (like being admitted for fluids bc of stomach virus, UTI, management of preterm contractions etc). In my case, I'd only be seeing the doctor on call in labor if my doctor was not in town; otherwise he comes to catch all his patients' babies regardless of who is on call.

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    That's not a good reason to induce! your baby needs to stay in as long as he needs and not be asked to work around a holiday and induction has lots of risks. Plus it hurts more and lowers your chances for a natural vaginal birth      
  • Options
    What if your baby very large? Ftm as well (so I'm kind of clueless, and I'm not advocating for early inductions) but under what circumstances would you be induced on or before your due date? My baby has been measuring 2 weeks ahead and my due date is 100% accurate, so he's just going to be a big.
  • Options
    My mom had my brother unmedicated, first child, and he weighed well over 10 lbs. It was also a quick labor/delivery. She watched what she ate better with me, but I was still 8lbs10oz, unmedicated birth and came extremely quickly.

Large babies aren't always a horrible experience for delivery. It really depends on the mother. Mine is 5'9" and just had big babies. We also both came over two weeks passed the due date she had been given, too.
  • Options
    kitteh81kitteh81 member
    edited November 2015
    My 9.5 pounder was an easier labor and less time pushing than her 7 lb 12 oz sister. Plus, they had estimated her weight/size via ultrasound a few days before I went into labor, and they were off by 2 lbs--they said she was going to be another 7 lb baby! I'm glad that I didn't know she was over 9 lbs going into it because I might have psyched myself out! But the labor and delivery were pretty great.
  • Options
    kynbar5 said:
    What if your baby very large? Ftm as well (so I'm kind of clueless, and I'm not advocating for early inductions) but under what circumstances would you be induced on or before your due date? My baby has been measuring 2 weeks ahead and my due date is 100% accurate, so he's just going to be a big.
    Scans that tell the size of the baby are notoriously off. Also, I've seen women birth some pretty large children (think 12-14 lbs) vaginally. I was told I was going to have a "very large" boy and he was about 9 1/2 when they were saying over 10. That's still the biggest one I've given birth to but it's amazing what our bodies can do! :)
    Yeah, measurements from scans seem like a joke, I've never heard of someone being given an accurate weight from one. A friend of mine had a scheduled c-section because her second baby was "going to be big." Ended up being her smallest baby by far and when she later had a VBAC, she had a 10 pound baby. I had a hard time delivering my 9.5 pound baby and I'd rather not go through that again, but I'm still not going to go for an induction or elective c-section "just in case." I know too many women who have been told that their baby is going to be big and gone on to have 6 or 7 pound babies.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My cousin was born on Easter Sunday-my aunt actually started labour on Good Friday but he waited. Depending on what measurement used I'm due around Easter-and my OB told me from the beginning he works with 9 other OBs who share various days at the hospital with their labour team. So depending on the day of the week it may not be him. And I won't let anyone talk me into induction (plus my best friend is a nurse in that hospital who used to work in L&D and speaks highly of this group so I'm okay with that).
    DD: Beatrix Louise aka BeeBop. April 2 2016. H.I.E Warrior <3
  • Options
    My due date for DS was the last week of June, and when I went for my next check up on July 1, Dr said July 4th was coming up so he scheduled an induction for that night. My body wasn't near ready and only by some miracle did I avoid a C-Section.* DS was 8 lbs, so it's not like he was growing massive or anything.
    *My nurse was terrible. I'm convinced that she was ready for her vacation, which is why she kept messing with my pitocin and epidural levels. She told me multiple times if I didn't have the baby soon, I'd be getting a c section. She left sometime during my 3 hours of pushing, and a different, more patient nurse came in.
    Just my experience with a holiday's-almost-here induction. Speak up for yourself and the baby and carefully weigh your options.
  • Options

kynbar5 said:

MNGrl24 said:

Scans that tell the size of the baby are notoriously off. Also, I've seen women birth some pretty large children (think 12-14 lbs) vaginally. I was told I was going to have a "very large" boy and he was about 9 1/2 when they were saying over 10. That's still the biggest one I've given birth to but it's amazing what our bodies can do! :)

Yeah, measurements from scans seem like a joke, I've never heard of someone being given an accurate weight from one. A friend of mine had a scheduled c-section because her second baby was "going to be big." Ended up being her smallest baby by far and when she later had a VBAC, she had a 10 pound baby. I had a hard time delivering my 9.5 pound baby and I'd rather not go through that again, but I'm still not going to go for an induction or elective c-section "just in case." I know too many women who have been told that their baby is going to be big and gone on to have 6 or 7 pound babies.

We were actually one of the few who were given a weight estimate that ended up being 100% accurate. When we were told 9lbs 7 oz I freaked out but the tech assured me it's never right and can go 20% either way (great, 11 lb possibility!). Come delivery time, they weigh our son and he was 9lbs 7oz. The doctor was so shocked she had to go call the tech while I was still recovering just to tell her the baby she scanned the day before was spot on for weight haha.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
  • Options

kynbar5 said:

MNGrl24 said:

We were actually one of the few who were given a weight estimate that ended up being 100% accurate. When we were told 9lbs 7 oz I freaked out but the tech assured me it's never right and can go 20% either way (great, 11 lb possibility!). Come delivery time, they weigh our son and he was 9lbs 7oz. The doctor was so shocked she had to go call the tech while I was still recovering just to tell her the baby she scanned the day before was spot on for weight haha.

The doctor was probably just as shocked as everyone because that's the very 1st time I've ever heard of that happening lol.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options
    My daughter was induced due to medical reasons i was in labor for two days due to more medical reason she was born on thanksgiving around dinner time by my awesome OB. You cant try and control everything giving life is a bit of a miracles and miracles follow thier own rules
  • Options
    kitteh81 said:
    My certified nurse midwives wanted to induce me with my last pregnancy, and I'm pretty sure it was because of the upcoming 4th of July. I wasn't even a week over my due date when they issued me a prescription for an induction and I was shocked. I really didn't expect that from midwives! Luckily I went into labor naturally the day before my scheduled induction, because otherwise I just planned to "forget" the appointment and wait till my body did its thing.
    How far along would you have been at the time of your induction? My midwifery practice schedules a non-stress test for 41 weeks, an ultrasound, and an induction at 42 weeks for every single woman. I haven't challenged it yet because I haven't reached 42 weeks, but I would not be happily going along with it if I reached that point and there was no evidence of anything being wrong. I don't blame you for planning to "forget." ;)
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MNGrl24 said:
    my friend was induced at 39w for a "big baby" (and then c-sectioned when she failed to progress bc her baby/body wasn't ready). her husband is 6'4" and she is 5'10" and they are both of very large build too. Her scans measured the baby at "almost 12 pounds" ... her baby at birth (after during L&D and all) was 8#12oz, (a mere 4oz heavier and the same length as my last unmedicated vaginal birth). 
    they told me during an ultrasound with my first baby that he was measuring smaller, around 7lbs, and he was 8#4oz at birth. i don't trust the sizing the give at those scans.

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    Yeah, my cousin is getting induced tomorrow. They were originally going to induce on Monday, but her doctor wasn't the one on duty. Everyone in mine and my doctor's families can get over it. I'm not getting induced just to avoid having her on a holiday.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker