Baby Names
Options

Hattie Elizabeth

Thoughts on this name? We are at 32 weeks and haven't settled between that, Evelyn Rose?(maybe), and Emily Something. The issue now is we have both been sick, not in the mood to discuss, but I've been so stressed out about it I mentioned some names to my sister. Hattie is the only name she couldn't stand and when she said that I got SO upset, which made me realize it's probably my favorite. I mentioned Evelyn again to DH (I like it better than he does) and he said he had been leaning toward Hattie Elizabeth and then I felt reallyyyy bad about mentioning it to my sister and her not liking it. He got super mad at me too for involving her, because now we'd feel weird naming the baby something we know now at least one family member doesn't like. And he said I put her in a bad position if we DO name the baby that because she will feel like she has to act like she likes it but we already know she doesn't. Or she will just feel bad that she said she doesn't like the name we picked. Then it's like we are both fine with Emily but we also don't like the popularity and how - for lack of a better word - plain/boring/overused it is. I had thought Hattie sounded kind of like a nickname but it is an older legitimate name on the social security list in the early 1900's. It's also a family name on DH side way back.(That was Hattie Olivia) he doesn't like any longer names Hattie could come from. I also wondered about the "resume test" but figure there are so many babies being named things that aren't exactly professional sounding, but the time she is 20 it should be fine against some names being used now. It's a real given name anyhow. I am afraid if we pick Emily because I'm afraid to use Hattie now knowing my sister doesn't like it, I will regret it. I just don't know that I want it to be Emily just because it's easier to swallow. And if DH is leaning away from Evelyn, that leaves us with nothing! We've been through so many lists and it's either something he doesn't like but I do, too popular or trendy, or just doesn't feel like "us." 5 year old DS is pushing for Emmeline, which DH was into until he realized the popularity of Ems in general; and I've tried warming up to it but while pretty, it just doesn't feel like a name for my kid if that makes any sense. And of course my sister thinks Emmeline is great ugh! One year old DD is Anna Catherine and everyone lovvvvvved her name, so I guess I'm just worried. My sister said Anna and Hattie don't go but I thought they did? Anyway I'm sorry this is so long to total strangers and bless you for reading it all and offering any advice. I don't know that waiting until birth would help with these particular issues and I do like to get a hat with name ahead of time as the way to announce. Thanks SO MUCH for any thoughts. :-)

Re: Hattie Elizabeth

• Options
    I guess iPads make paragraphs go away. I'm sorry!
  • Options
    I think Hattie Elizabeth is great! Even if your sister isn't the biggest fan I think you can still use it. I have a close family member that I discuss baby names with (neither of us are TTC now, we just love chatting about baby names) and we have totally different styles. She knows that many of her picks are nms and the ones i adore are not hers, but thats ok. It's more important that you and your husband agree! At least you know that your sister won't use your names/very similar names :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Personally I find Hattie to be too nicknamey for a given name. So I would suggest doing Harriet or Henrietta nn Hattie (it is a diminutive of Harriet specifically ). Both because it gives her more options when she grows up, and because numerically Hattie is trend city.

In 2011, 255 girls were named Hattie and it came back into the top 1000 at 992. The last time it was in the top 1000 was 1967. In 2014 it jumped to 590 with 497 girls named Hattie. Emily might be common, but it's not trendy.

That said, I wouldn’t worry about you sister not liking it. She doesn't have to like it, it's not her kid, and it's not an offensive name or one that would likely hinder her in life.
  • Options
    jeanbug12jeanbug12 member
    edited November 2015
    Don't worry about what your sister thinks.

Personally, I think Hattie is better as a nn for Harriet. Emily is my favorite from your list!
  • Options
    I don't like Hattie. It's just nms.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about how your sister feels, but I do agree with her. I don't like Hattie. Anna is lovely. Hattie seems like a nn and doesn't compare to Anna.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Options
    I like Hattie. I don't think it's too nicknamey. Evelyn is really nice too.
  • Options
    I think Hattie is a beautiful name. Who cares what your sister thinks, it is you and your husbands child, not hers.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    What about Haddie Elizabeth? Or Hadley? Hattie is my favorite of all your choices. But if you want to modernize it a touch.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about what your sister said. It's not her baby, y'know. That said, my favorite is Evelyn and I think it goes better with Anna.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Options
    Go with what you and your husband like and pretend that you never told your sister because she's not the one who gets to decide the name. We don't discuss names with anyone until it's on the birth certificate, but I know our tastes are different from other family members and that's okay. :) No need for you or your husband or your sister to feel bad about it! I think Hattie Elizabeth is very pretty and refreshingly different. If she feels like Hattie is too nicknamey later in life, she can always go by Elizabeth.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I Love Hattie Elizabeth! I wouldn't worry about your sister not liking it. I know that my dad doesn't like my favourite girl name, but that won't stop me from using it. Once the baby is here he will love her and her name no matter what!
  • Options
    I love Hattie! Great choice. 
  • Options
    I like it but it lends itself too easily to the nickname Fatty. If the poor girl ever had a chubby stage, it could be bad.

• Options
    Hattie is a sweet name. I do prefer it as a nn, but I also like it as a standalone the best out of your options. I would hate for you to take your sister's opinion into account and regret not using a name you love

• Options
    I hate hattie
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @Magsugar13 your comment is not constructive. If it's not your style NMS is an appropriate expression of that. It's an opinion. Ones taste isn't another's or we'd all have the same name. Unless there's an actual reason you don't care for the name why bother commenting?!
  • Options
    magsugar13magsugar13 member
    edited November 2015
    Baby'smom said:
    @Magsugar13 your comment is not constructive. If it's not your style NMS is an appropriate expression of that. It's an opinion. Ones taste isn't another's or we'd all have the same name. Unless there's an actual reason you don't care for the name why bother commenting?!
    Maybe because OP said "Thoughts on this name?"

My thoughts are i hate the name.
    but thanks so much  sweetie for letting me know what is an "appropriate expression" 
    and i'll continue to comment exactly  how i feel when someone asks my opinion.
    maybe i should get your opinion next time i want to respond so you can give me permission?
    thanks for sharing you are so cute

• Options
    kmb0806kmb0806 member
    edited November 2015
    I love that this thread is apparently about to devolve into drama for no good reason!
  • Options
    I love Hattie Elizabeth. My mil told us she hated our son's name after he was born. Idgaf. It makes no difference what your sisters opinion is because it will most likely grow on her anyway.
  • Options
    groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited November 2015
    kmb0806 said:
    I guess iPads make paragraphs go away. I'm sorry!
    They do. The ipad only lets you edit in HTML mode. Copy this: <br><br> and just paste it wherever you want the paragraph to break.

That'll do the trick. :)

Oh also, your name, Hattie Elizabeth? It's great! Hattie is NMS personally but i have no issue with it. 

I knew a Hattie once. But her name was Heather. She shortened it. Whether as a nn or standalone name though, it works.
  • Options
    Hattie is NMS as a stand alone name. All I can think of is hats. (Such imagination!) That said, it does trace its roots to a nn for Harriet if you need a fuller name. Elizabeth is hands down one of my favorite names ever. You'll always win my vote with that one!

EDD for #1: 3/19/17