Baby Names
Options

Caroline - Nickname Kit?

I've posted about this before, but I'm narrowing it down.

My husband and I want to name our baby Kit Lillian. We both adore the nickname Kit and it goes with the somewhat "theme" we have going with our other 2 girls (older 1920s-1940s nickname type names)

However, the more I sit with it the more I think it needs a longer name tied to it for future use. It's just TOO short and nicknamey. 

We will not use Katherine (long story there...but personal reasons) and I'm not a huge fan of Kathleen....but I do like Caroline. However, my husband says you cannot shorten Caroline to Kit. I think you certainly can.

What say you?

Re: Caroline - Nickname Kit?

• Options
    Caroline is a beautiful name that will age well. Kit is an adorable nn. I say go for it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's fine. Also consider Christine or Christina.
  • Options
    I think it's fine if you both really like Caroline and not just trying to find any name just to call her Kit.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Options
    I think it's a little weird since there's no k or t in Caroline, but nns are weird sometimes (James-Jimmy, John-Jack).
  • Options
    I think Caroline goes well with the nn Kit!
  • Options
    I think it works. I also agree that Kit is too short and nicknamey.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Options
    I love Caroline. And Kit is a great nn.

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Sure.
    LFAF Awards

me: 27 | husband: 35
    IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

married May 2015 --> started NTNP
    BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017
    BFP 12.30.17 - EDD 9.6.18

Fertility Friend Chart
  • Options
    Love Caroline, and i think Kit works well!!
  • Options
    I definitely think it works. And if she gets older and doesn't want to use the nickname, Caroline and it's nicknames are great options.

• Options
    I love Caroline!

I agree with PP that kids can really have nicknames based on anything, they don't have to be directly related to their given first name.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Yes it works! I love Kirsten too. I would loooove to use this name especially Kitty but my husbands childhood pet was named kitty so alas no :(
  • Options
    I guess I'm in the minority but I think if I were trying to pick a name that would lend itself to the nn Kit I probably wouldn't go with Caroline. In that case I would say you might as well just name her Kit since that's what you really want to call her and there's really no connection between the two names. But again, looks like I'm in the minority which is fine!

What about
    Kristen/Kristin (not sure which is the "proper" spelling)
    Kirsten
    Katrina
    Katerina
    Kristina
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Sure. I think i've only ever heard Kit as a nn for Catherine/Katherine. But it can absolutely branch off of Caroline too.
  • Options
    Love this! Kit does read really young, so it would be nice for her to have a Caroline as a back up for professional life. That said, Kit is an adorable name for little girl. Go for it.

EDD for #1: 3/19/17