Multiples

Third Trimester Twin Growth Rate

I am reading conflicting information on what to expect growth wise in the third trimester for twins.  One article says that twins mimic single pregnancy growth rates until 30/32 weeks, at which point they slow down due to restricted space. Other sources suggest that 0.5 lbs a week from 32 weeks on can be expected, as with a single pregnancy.

Can any twin moms remember their babies' measurements from growth scans and then birth weights to give some insight?  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Third Trimester Twin Growth Rate

• @happyandhopeful3 I'm in the hospital now (I know you know that) and I'm 32 weeks, they told me 1/2 of a Pound a week until they're born. At 31 weeks my little guy was 4 pounds 1 oz and my little girl was 3 pounds 11 oz. Just for a reference, but the doctors and nurses told me that was really "good size" for twins! Hope this helps!
  • @jdbtwinmama such a help- thank you! Glad to hear those babies are growing well so far. I am so focused on getting these two as big as possible.

• Loading the player...
  • I am 37 weeks with twins boys and one is 7lb 11oz and the other is 6lbs 5oz. They said they will gain half a pound a week intilbi deliver at 39 weeks. I know these are estimates...but for twins i am very happy woth these estimates.
  • At 29 weeks and my boys were 2 lbs 11 and 2lbs 13, at 31 weeks they were 3,7 and 3,9. That was the last growth estimates they could get because they were too squashed and baby As head was way too low. when they were born at 38 weeks they were 6lb 2 and 6lbs 3. Not sure if that really Helps! Also sometimes the ultrasounds estimates can be a pound or so off. I think as long as your dr says you are measuring fine then no worries!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Goodsuri wowza! Good for you!! I cannot imagine carrying around that much baby!  Are you mobile?  What is their rationale for waiting until 39 weeks?

• I know two twin moms who gave birth this year to healthy "regular" sized babies. One set was about 6.5lbs each and the other set were 7.5lbs each! Both sets delivered at 38 weeks with no complications beforehand. So I'm guessing it's definitely possible they grow just like singletons would!

I just had a growth scan at 32 weeks and both of my girls are nearly 5lbs each - my OB hasn't said anything about their growth slowing down, and actually told me to expect a lot more belly stretching and soreness from carrying two healthy babies in the coming weeks :)
  • @happyandhopeful3 believe it or not..i have only gained 40 lbs and i am still pretty mobile. The only reason i am going at 39 weeks is bc of the holiday and scheduling issues. But went to the doctors today and they are hoping someone scheduled the day after Thanksgiving goes into labor so i can deliver then. I am very blessed with a healthy pregnancy and so dar healthy big baby boys.