C-sections

Cost of c section w/o insurance?

I might have to have c section for my baby next April in New York. Considering Beth Israel or Mount Sainai but concerned abt how much the estimated cost would be... If anyone has experience w c section w/o insurance?

Re: Cost of c section w/o insurance?

• Thankfully I had insurance (Kaiser) but I have the bill which shows the "cost" before my insurance payments. I am in California so not sure how relevant it is but I'm happy to share that if you'd like to know. It's a big number and a bit daunting :(
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• The hospital billed my insurance for about $35,000. That doesn't include my delivery/doctor/surgeon, etc. those bills are separate.

We are currently in a period of open enrollment. Why not purchase insurance? My crappy $350 a month plan has a $6000 deductible. But that's way less than the $40000+ I'd have to pay otherwise.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Most hospitals offer a "cash pay" discount. We are part of a health share network, which is like insurance but technically isnt, so all of my pregnancy costs are viewed as a self pay patient. The total cost for my csection this go around is $7,337...that is the discounted price from my hospital and as long as my bill is paid in full before I leave the hospital, that is all I have to pay. I'm in Arizona so I don't know how different new York hospitals are, but call the hospital (not the billing department...the actual labor and delivery department will know more!), and see what discount they offer for self pay patients.
  • My insurance paid for mine, but I saw the totals on my portion of the bill. In northern VA, my cesareans were in the $30-40k range. Tack on my youngest's 2 week NICU stay and it was well over $100k.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My hospital stay (4 days total) was $15,000, not including LO's expenses
    Baby number 1 on the way!
  • For my c at a private hospital in Los Angeles, total cost was around $45k. Because we had insurance we only paid $500. Our hospital did offer a self-pay option for $6800 (not including doctors fees or any extras), so you could probably arrange something like that.