2nd Trimester
Options

Question from a lurking 1st trimester

Everyone keeps telling me how magical the 2nd trimester is and how you just feel so great! Are the rumours true!? Did you start feeling better? If you did start feeling better when? I have 4 1/2 weeks before I make it to my second trimester and I am so hopeful that I will no longer feel like I'm dying all the time.

Re: Question from a lurking 1st trimester

• Options
    Sorry to be a Debbie downer but I had NO morning sickness and felt great my first tri, I'm 15 (almost 16) weeks and the past few days, I've had waves of nausea and headaches way worse than I've ever felt. So bad that I just want to sleep it off. Moral of the story, every pregnancy is different. I hope yours gets better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had no morning sickness, just a couple weeks of feeling nauseous during my first tri. Now I'm 25 weeks and my biggest complaints would be headaches, lower back pain/sciatica, and heartburn. So while some first tri symptoms disappear, you may start to have new symptoms during your second tri that suck just as much in a different way. However, you'll start to pop out and you'll start to feel baby moving which is a wonderful thing :) I didn't really feel pregnant until my second tri, it was finally feeling baby move that has made me actually realize this is a little more real than I felt for a while!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    I was miserable and felt like death til 17 weeks. 17-26 I felt AMAZING. Like didn't know I was pregnant unless baby kicked amazing. It's different for everyone! Fingers crossed for relief soon!!!
  • Options
    I feel much better because I'm hardly ever nauseous... But still very tired. Not in the groggy hungover way that I was during first tri, but I'm always wanting more sleep!
  • Options
    msuzannah said:
    Everyone keeps telling me how magical the 2nd trimester is and how you just feel so great! Are the rumours true!? Did you start feeling better? If you did start feeling better when? I have 4 1/2 weeks before I make it to my second trimester and I am so hopeful that I will no longer feel like I'm dying all the time.
    I've honestly had a very easy pregnancy, so I honestly didn't have a 'bad' first trimester, and my 2nd trimester is treating me well.  But, I have 2 friends who are also pregnant at the same time and they swear their 2nd trimester is going much better than the first.

While every woman is different, I do think you will find the 2nd trimester to be a bit of a relief from the first.
  • Options

I find the biggest difference for me is improvement in energy level. I'm 25 weeks now and I feel more like myself where as in first trimester I felt like a zombie. Everything was a struggle and movement and heat made me gag which I think took even more of my energy because I was constantly afraid of what was coming next.

I still puke sometimes and during my second trimester is when I developed asthma which was terrifying because I didn't know what was going on. I would hands down rather re-live the second trimester than first, but it's still no walk in the park.

*Kate*

February 2016

• Options
    First tri was miserable. I was exhausted all day but staying up at night. Peeing constantly, couldn't eat like an adult (think mac & cheese, zero veggies), ALWAYS nauseated, puking from time to time.

About week 17 I started to feel good. And (knock on wood) have only had maybe 1 day of misery since then. I am back to exercising and eating a balanced diet, sleeping through the night :)

My advice is, while you are waiting to feel better, start trying to do light exercise. It is amazing how much better it made me feel!
  • Options
    The rumors for me were true! I started feeling slightly better around 11 weeks. I would still feel queasy from time to time around 12-13 weeks. By 14 weeks things definitely cleared up for me. It wasn't a magical wake up one day and I'm healed type of thing. It was definitely gradual. My constipation lessened around 9.5 weeks. Now I have about 2 BM a day. I don't have that many food aversions anymore, and my gag reflex has finally calmed tha fuck down. The migraines also seem to have dissipated for the time being *fingers crossed*
    I still get pretty exhausted but nothing like first trimester.

I am currently 16w4D and Hopefully I can continue to feel this way!
  • Options
    My nausea started getting better at 13 weeks.
    It's now entirely gone (I'm 15 weeks).
    I'm basically symptomless except for digestive symptoms. Colace is my friend.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    Everyone is different. I had headaches from weeks 14-17. Once I hit 18 weeks I have felt the best. So yes, for me the 2nd tri I have felt the best and not as tired. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

On average the second trimester is the one where you feel the best.  This was true for me when I was pregnant with DS. 

So far, it's not so true with this one - I am 19 weeks.  I am still throwing up and have the nausea and now my back hurts, hips hurt, and pelvic floor hurts.

• Options
    RLVbabyRLVbaby member
    edited November 2015
    My 1st trimester was miserable and magically at week 12 it all disappeared. At first I was worried until I looked into it more and then I was excited to finally want to do things and being able to enjoy being pregnant. I'm 17 weeks now and I feel completely normal other than a few mild headaches. Everyone is different so I will definitely cross my fingers that you get magical 2nd trimester relief dust!
  • Options
    Miserable (incredibly happy though) the whole first tri and up until week 17 had awful nausea. The nausea is gone but I still have plenty of food aversions and now have heartburn. I do feel more energetic (but still tired) than I felt before.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I think this is an extremely irritating myth that is commonly accepted. I feel like crap, and I'm 21 weeks. It's different for everyone...but for me, the second trimester did not magically improve my symptoms. Sorry. :(
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Uhg! I will remain hopeful! This weekend I'm in the hospital for dehydration and blood pressure but my doctor thinks I might have a bladder infection that is making my symptoms worse. Hopefully that's what it is and I can go back to being nauseous but able to hold food down! Thank you!
  • Options
    lolol, i wouldn't call 2nd tri "magical"! i mean, i dont feel like puking my guts out anymore, & my boobs finally arent super sore anymore.
    however, at 23 weeks, i feel like I'm SERIOUSLY running out of room. everytime i eat i struggle to get a good, deep breath & my skin around my stomach feels like it's going to rip. sometimes i would honestly take the nausea over struggling to breathe daily.

hopefully your 2nd tri will be better for you!
  • Options
    I started to see a remarkable improvement in my nausea around 10-11 weeks. I get the occasional headache and am more tired than usual but feeling great at 14 weeks. I hope your bladder infection clears up and you feel better soon!
  • Options
    Its true I do feel much better  
  • Options
    I didn't have a horrible 1st tri, but can say 2nd is better so far (15 weeks). Not as tired, food aversions are gone, I can eat somewhat healthy again. But I do call this the "tri of pain"- having more cramping, RLP, and beginning of sciatica I believe. So its a trade off. But again, every PG is different...

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    I had morning sickness and fatigue until about 18 weeks. Once I got past that point I felt really great! Of course there are still annoyances like not being able to sit in one position for very long or get comfortable at night, but overall things have been much better. I wouldn't say it's the best I've felt in my life, but a thousand times better than 1st trimester. My biggest struggle lately is not moving enough during the day, so I try to get some exercise or go for a walk, but then I just end up ravenous and exhausted and go to bed super early. When I don't get a little exercise now and then I start to get anxiety and grumpy, so its necessary, but a lot more difficult to do these days.
  • Options
    I was vommitting more than once a day until 19 weeks. (Was hospitalised a couple times during this) I had two weeks from then I felt normal, but now I can't sleep, extreme back pain, have pretty bad heartburn and just generally exhausted. I'm 25+4 now!
    Everyone is different, I hope you start feeling better soon!
  • Options
    I actually felt rough into my second. But around 20 weeks, I started feeling great. And I have felt great since then. Third trimester now, 36 weeks and having pretty much constant braxton hicks. But even now, I'd much rather be here than back there in the first. 

You're in hell now. It DOES typically get a LOT better after 14 weeks-ish. 
    Everyone is different, 
    This. Keep in mind that your experience is not only going to be unique to you. It's going to be unique to this pregnancy. But typically, yeah. Expect to start feeling a lot better soon.
  • Options
    For me, the 2nd & even 3rd tri (until the last 4 weeks) are much, much better than the 1st.  Although it might not magically happen at 13 weeks, it does get better for most people.  I am super sick and tired during the first tri, and even as long as 17 weeks this time, but after that it's pretty smooth sailing for a while with the exception of some minor aches and pains and heartburn.  Thank goodness, or I would defnintely NOT be on baby #4.  
  • Options
    Everyone is different. I started feeling relief around 10 weeks and then all the bad stuff stopped completely for me by 14 weeks. However, just to be realistic don't count on a magical week number.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    First tri was awful for me. I was exhausted, sick, and my mood went way downhill (I ended up suicidal-thankfully my OB is awesome and got me into see someone ASAP). Emotionally I started to feel better around week 14, physically around week 17. Now at 22 weeks I have bad heartburn but I seem to have that under control and can't get comfortable in any position but just having energy again (even though I'm not at 100%) is great. My moods are still up and down but that's to be expected (I have a mood disorder which pregnancy just seems to exasperate).

Second is better for me, as the stuff I am dealing with seems easier than the first trimester issues.
    DD: Beatrix Louise aka BeeBop. April 2 2016. H.I.E Warrior <3
  • Options
    I'm 19 weeks. I have way more energy and am no longer crawling into bed as soon as I get off work. My nausea also went away.
  • Options
    The nausea stopped for me at about 13 weeks and was such a relief to feel hungry again! Second tri has been good to me (26 weeks now) shattered and skin feels very tight, but energy levels much better than they were. Different for everyone though!