TTC After a Loss

Struggling with HCG levels (Trigger warning Possible BFP mentioned)

My levels went down rapidly after my miscarriage and were at 81 last week, down from 398. This morning, though, I took a test and the test came back positive. I'm not sure if it's residual, because my levels dropped so rapidly - my doctor told me I should be negative by now and we would check again in a couple of days. I know we are technically TTC and I want to be happy but I'm just terrified that I'll go through this all over again in a couple months.
TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
MC #1 - 1/10/2014
MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Struggling with HCG levels (Trigger warning Possible BFP mentioned)

• Your doc should follow your hcg to zero for this reason exactly. Mine was 7 two weeks after my procedure. Then 12 at three weeks. Then 7 at four weeks. Then finally 4 at five weeks. My hpt was negative the first time it was 7. It is very possible this is residual hcg. Have your doc continue to run blood work.
  • @mrsmommya She has been really fantastic about following me, but my levels haven't been bouncing around. They dropped very rapidly, at consistent rates. I was hoping to get a retest earlier than next Monday to make sure they were still going down.
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • 81 is still high enough for a positive on some tests, and even if it went down by half to 40, that's still high enough for a positive HPT. I'm not really sure what's "normal" with regard to how quickly or slowly hcg levels drop (mine was already at 4 when I went to the ER with spotting at 5 weeks) but if you can't get in to see your doctor for a while, I'd just take another test in a few days. Though it sounds like it probably is just residual.
    Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
    BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
    BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
    BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • @1faceinacrowd it's actually been a week since my last lab. That's why I want another draw, because according to my doctor, at the rate my levels dropped I should be at 0. I think I'm just scared because I don't know what's going on in my own body right now. Hopefully I get some answers soon.
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• @1faceinacrowd it's actually been a week since my last lab. That's why I want another draw, because according to my doctor, at the rate my levels dropped I should be at 0. I think I'm just scared because I don't know what's going on in my own body right now. Hopefully I get some answers soon.
    Dang. So that's why you aren't sure if you're pregnant again or not... I hate not knowing what's going on with my body... That sounds frustrating. :( I hope you get some answers ASAP!

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill

• Dang. So that's why you aren't sure if you're pregnant again or not... I hate not knowing what's going on with my body... That sounds frustrating. :( I hope you get some answers ASAP!

Yeah, the doctor ordered another lab for me next week. I've got my fingers crossed, though I'm not sure what for yet. I'm trying not to symptom spot, because it's possible I will have pregnancy symptoms with AF - I've read a lot of women do after a loss. But I also haven't had any of my typical period symptoms, and it should be here any day now. I feel like tearing my hair out or drinking a whole bottle of wine! Can't do the latter just in case and the former won't really help. :/
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• tinypikachutinypikachu member
    edited November 2015
    I really hope that you are in fact pregnant again but, realistically, if they were at 80 a week ago, it's unfortunately very likely that it is residual. It really would not matter how fast they dropped in the beginning as that can vary significantly. Some women go from being in the thousands to double digits in a matter of days and have to deal with stubborn levels at 20, 30 or teens for weeks. Your doctor said they should be at zero because they were dropping fast and it is logical to think that the future is predicted by the patterns of the past. Doctors tend to assume the best until they prove the contrary, which is what they need to do to avoid disappointment and getting your hopes up. It's more than likely that this is residual HCG.

ETA: As an example, my HCG was 652 and dropped to 620 in four days. I got a BFN about ten days later. So the speed can vary greatly.

That being said, I really, really hope that this is not the case and that you have a beautiful baby in 8 months. FX!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Well, either way I still don't have answers. I do, however have symptoms that I'm trying to ignore and assuming they are associated with AF... I've heard that plenty of women have pregnancy symptoms with AF after a loss, and I'm telling myself that's what it is. It seems I won't get answers until next week.
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• I really hope you get good answers! I'm praying for a BFP for you. If you already missed AF, that would be an awesome sign. Keep us posted whether you get that BFP or not! FX for super high HCG!
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • So my levels had dropped from 81 and measured at 36.57 - which since my period was due yesterday and didn't come, could mean I'm going to have a BFP or it could mean I miscalculated O and it's residual HCG from the miscarriage. I go for another lab draw on Friday, so I guess we will see. I have been worked up about it for a while and now I feel it's just best to focus on other things. Can't speed up an answer just because I'm stressing about it!
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• So my levels had dropped from 81 and measured at 36.57 - which since my period was due yesterday and didn't come, could mean I'm going to have a BFP or it could mean I miscalculated O and it's residual HCG from the miscarriage. I go for another lab draw on Friday, so I guess we will see. I have been worked up about it for a while and now I feel it's just best to focus on other things. Can't speed up an answer just because I'm stressing about it!
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that the levels are much higher by Friday! I imagine it's super stressful being completely unsure of what's going on in your body. :\ Just a few more days! Hopefully Thanksgiving will be a good distraction to keep your mind off of the stress.

• edited November 2015
    It's residual. My doc decided to put me out of my misery before the holiday - I'm still down trending at 30.42, it's just gotten way slower. I'm thinking I might be ready to start temping again, so I can see when my period might be coming, or if I might ovulate. I clearly miscalculated before, or never even O'd in the first place; I'd have known if I'd been temping. I'll just be glad to see a period or negative lab result. Thanks to all the ladies who showed their support!

Edit because I forgot extra words.
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• I had a positive pregnancy test until 6 weeks post d and c . I posted on here going nuts about the test and symptoms. Then my tests kept getting lighter and lighter and I figured it was most likely hormones starting to stabilize . I had cramping for two weeks and intermittent nausea . Went to acupuncture last night to balance out hormones and got AF this morning ! It's pretty light but it's there. Either way keep us posted but try not to get your hopes up yet . I did a little more than I wanted and was really disappointed that it was leftover hormones .
  • Unfortunately I can't afford to get accupuncture :/ I just can't stand the waiting - will I ovulate, will AF come? When will my levels finally hit zero, or will I get a BFP? It's all very nerve wracking. And I can't figure out how to destress. I got my hopes up earlier this week because I was cramping and what not for the last couple weeks and getting other pregnancy symptoms, but now I think they're phantom/ in my head. I'd be happy to confirm O or to get AF - either way I wouldn't be in the dark anymore.
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• @FireInWonderland I'm sorry - I've been there twice before and I know how much that sucks. All the waiting and uncertainty is just awful. FX AF shows soon.
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• @ceclarlinetlo Thank you. I took another HPT yesterday, an FRER and it was really faint but the line was still there. I was hoping it would be negative to indicate my residual levels had dropped below 20 at least. Hopefully next week my dr will have some answers for me.
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker