February 2016 Moms
Options

Vasectomy/Tubal

shupertj09shupertj09 member
edited November 2015 in February 2016 Moms
This will be our last baby and I am going to attempt a VBAC. DH has already said regardless of whether or not I have a VBAC or RCS he is willing to get a vasectomy so I don't have to get a tubal.

The only thing I am torn about is if I have to have a RCS and they are already in there should I just go through with the tubal to save money? My deductible will be maxed out because of the delivery so a vasectomy for DH would be separate and an extra expensive.

I need opinions, no one I know personally has had a vasectomy or tubal...I assume recovery will pretty much be the same if I have a RCS...so tell me the good, bad, and ugly of each option.
Praying this is our take home baby. STICK TURKEY Mommy will miss you everyday my beautiful angel. We love you Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers M/C on 1/05/11 at 11 weeks.

Re: Vasectomy/Tubal

• Options
    I don't have any experience with this, but if you're going to be opened up already I'd go ahead and have the tubal.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My doctor suggested a c-section for us this time around. While I know I could fight her, the opportunity to have my tubal done while being in the OR has me okay with going for it. I always told DH I would never have him get a vasectomy that I was more than okay with being the one to go have surgery for prevention.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My husband offered to get a vasectomy. I personally would not get anything done myself. This is also our fourth and last baby.
  • Options
    If you will already be open, just get it done. If him getting snipped will cost extra why bother when you may have a RCS. I want my tubes tied because I am having a RCS but they told me I am to young :(
  • Options
    My best friend just had her 3rd baby @ he was breach so she had a c-section (her 1st one) so had her tubes tide, and her healing was longer & super painful. The dr said it was from having that procedure done too...
  • Options
    From what I've heard it's safer for a vasectomy, recovery and surgery wise. I haven't looked into it for myself but does it mess with hormones at all?
  • Options
    My BFF just had her 3rd c-section in August and they tied her tubes. I think she recovered the same. But her doctor(whose mine too) said the risk of it reversing is a lot higher when you do it during the c-section. I know her hubby is planning on a vasectomy as well because they want to be double covered.(She got pregnant on mirena)
    Like @Achae said the vasectomy is consider safer because there's less chance of complications. Personally DH will get one(we've already discussed it) when we decide we're done having kids
  • Options
    Achae said:

From what I've heard it's safer for a vasectomy, recovery and surgery wise. I haven't looked into it for myself but does it mess with hormones at all?

Some people get wacky hormones because it can send you into menopause.
  • Options
    I am having my third C/S this time. I know we are done after this baby and my plan had always been to have a tubal while I was already open. The hospital I deliver has recently stopped allowing doctors to do tubals. Now I think my H will get a vasectomy.

I heard as far as recovery from tubal during a C/S that you might have more cramping than normal.

MMC Aug 2010
    DS1 Jan 2012
    DS2 July 2013
    DS3 February 2016

• Options
    I am having a repeat CS and this will be our third and last child for sure so I am getting my tubes tied during the CS. With our insurance its completely covered and i'm the kind of person that I want to get it done and know myself it is taken care of. I talked to doc already and he said the only difference is about 10 extra mins during surgery and slight cramping but that's it so I am ok with my decision now