Pregnant after a Loss

Update : I have MTHFR A1298C

Hey ladies!  I thought I may as well start a new thread with this...

As I posted on the MTHFR thread, I was being tested for MTHFR mutation because my Aunt is heterozygous for C667T and A1298C, and my mom is heterozygous for A1298C.  When I originally posted, I had the wrong info-- my mom mistakenly thought she had C667T, which made me think I had it, which made me extra nervous!!  Turns out she was mistaken, and has heterozygous A1298C as I noted above. 

SO now I've gotten my test back, and found I have the same thing as my mom, heterozygous A1298C, and I'm relieved, as that means I didn't get anything surprise gene mutations from my dad that were previously unknown.  So I feel kind of ok. 

My only real problem now is, I'm still not sure what to do re: my liver and folic acid. I've had elevated liver enzyme numbers for a year, and I've been on prenatals with folic acid for a year.  It stands to reason that my body's difficulty in processing synthetic folic acid might be causing the liver damage, but it's hard to tell!! Finding out I have the least bad combo of MTHFR mutations doesn't further the argument as well as it would've have, if I had a worse gene combo.
I would go on natural folate or methylfolate just to be safe, but it's not yet available in Australia, where I'm living. 

Anyone else with heterozygous A1298C doing anything different?  Are you still taking regular prenatals with folic acid? 
1st Pregnancy: EDD 12/31/15; Diagnosed Turner's with terminal cystic hygroma 13wks; induced at 14wks, +3 d+c's.
2nd Pregnancy: BFP 10/8/15; EDD 6/21/16

Re: Update : I have MTHFR A1298C

• Whoops!  I meant to post this on my birth month, but if any of your ladies have any MTHFR info, it would be greatly appreciated.

1st Pregnancy: EDD 12/31/15; Diagnosed Turner's with terminal cystic hygroma 13wks; induced at 14wks, +3 d+c's.

• I have MTHFR and take rx folic acid in the form of Fab Tab twice a day. I had a healthy baby girl in September. I've never had my liver checked, though.. Yikes!
  • Loading the player...
  • edited November 2015
    I have what you have. What the doctor told me, the lab told me and my research has told me, is that it is very common and does not cause any complications. You can google it, if you haven't. The MHTFR website talks about it. That being said, I have been on the Prena1 Pearl  that has their patented Folmax in it. I called the company and they told me it is designed for people with MHTFR. I've not been told of any issues of mine with my liver.

If your doc has told you it is not an issue, I would tend to go with that. I have not found anything to the contrary and, although I anxiously called the company to try and cover any possible base to get to the route of my issue, it is only one copy and not the bad kind.

EDIT: I will add that no doctor ever said that any of my MCs had to do with this and I truly believe that. It was all egg quality issue supposedly. I think you're good!
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • It definitely did not have anything to do with my loss. We had the Anora test fine and our baby had trisomy 13.
  • Thanks ladies-- clearly anxious about everything over here!!! I would really like to be on a natural folate if possible, so I'll have to keep searching for what I can have shipped to me.

Next, to do further investigations as to what the hell is going on with my liver...

• I've had 2 losses at 7w5d due to MTHFR. I'm now taking a prescribed prenatal with DHA, tl gard, baby aspirin and a shot of lovenox once a day. I'm 9 weeks today!
  • My OB informed me to get Folinic Acid since I cannot metabolise folic acid. I live in Australia too and actually got it from Go Vita in Sydney. 

Plus my OB suggested 2 types of prenatals but they need to be ordered, so the naturopath at the health food store suggested an alternative that contains additional folinic acid as well as a small amount of folic acid. My OB said it was okay to take the folinic acid along with the prenatal. 

She has me on a dozen pills right now. 
  • YES! Someone dealing with this in Australia!  There's a Go vita right near me, so I will definitely check it out.

I ordered a prenatal online that's all natural folate, in the hopes that that helps.