Babies: 3 - 6 Months

working nights and keeping consistent routine

NurseRiegerNurseRieger member
edited November 2015 in Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Any working moms out there doing nightshift and keeping baby in routine? I go back to work this week and my husband and I both work nights. When we work the same night baby will be at my parents house. So like 1 night with grandma, 2 nights at home with daddy and 4 nights with mommy basically. I feel bad I can't keep every day consistent and I'm just getting into the swing of things at 12 weeks. Like my goal right now is a consistent afternoon nap which I'm barely getting. Just wondering if anyone had some tips.

Re: working nights and keeping consistent routine

• I work 12 hour night shifts and DH does 12 hour days on the same rotation, so basically he has her at night, I have her during the day, we hand her back and forth at crew change (huge money saver), and we have our days off together. DH has it pretty easy, DD pretty much falls asleep around 9-10 every night on her own. She's up all day for me though. I can't lie, it's tough. Worse for me than her lol.
  • Omg when do u sleep?
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey! Dh is on mids and I do the swing shift (one week of days one of Eve's). I thought going back to work was going to be harder on my lo but really it's just harder on me/dh.

I would ask your mom to come over for bedtime one night so she can see what you do. Since I normally put my DD down at night (because dh works mids) I had him go through everything with me before I went back to my evening shift. It all works out. Gl!
    SIGGY WARNING//TICKER WARNING//PAIF

Long of the Short:
     TTC since April 2013  DH 42 y/o I'm 30  Dh had vasectomy reversal Feb 2013 after 3 months developed scar tissue 
     First Re appt was September 2013 OOP for everything minus meds  
    DH's TESE surgery December 2013
    First cycle was February 2014 BFN none to freeze
     Second cycle was April 2014 BFP ending in Chemical Pregnancy none to freeze
     Third cycle June 2014 BFN none to freez
     Fourth cycle October 30th 28 retrieved, 13 mature and 12 fertilized
    PICSI, assisted hatching and fresh sperm from my DH's TESE surgery used
    5 FROZEN from a freeze all cycle! 
    FET completed on DECEMBER 9TH!!!
    Beta #1 13dp5dt BFP!! 800
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 
    First Scan January 5th! Everything looks great! Heart rate of 121!
    Second Scan January 20th. Baby Justone13 looks amazing. Heart rate of 175!
    Baby Girl is due August 27th
    Liv Annmarie born 8/25 7lbs 6oz 21 1/2 inches long 

• I think everything is working out. My mom does exactly what I do except for bath time. DH finally listened to my instructions and had a good night. As I told him what to do step by step at first he blew me off and did things his way... 2 grueling sleepless nights later...now we have a consistent bedtime routine. Daytime is a little tricky but he's doing a longer morning nap and that's when I'm taking my nap so I think everything is working itself out. Thanks everyone.
    Justone13
  • Ahhh husbands who think their way is better. Don't you love it? lol
    SIGGY WARNING//TICKER WARNING//PAIF

Long of the Short:
     TTC since April 2013  DH 42 y/o I'm 30  Dh had vasectomy reversal Feb 2013 after 3 months developed scar tissue 
     First Re appt was September 2013 OOP for everything minus meds  
    DH's TESE surgery December 2013
    First cycle was February 2014 BFN none to freeze
     Second cycle was April 2014 BFP ending in Chemical Pregnancy none to freeze
     Third cycle June 2014 BFN none to freez
     Fourth cycle October 30th 28 retrieved, 13 mature and 12 fertilized
    PICSI, assisted hatching and fresh sperm from my DH's TESE surgery used
    5 FROZEN from a freeze all cycle! 
    FET completed on DECEMBER 9TH!!!
    Beta #1 13dp5dt BFP!! 800
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 
    First Scan January 5th! Everything looks great! Heart rate of 121!
    Second Scan January 20th. Baby Justone13 looks amazing. Heart rate of 175!
    Baby Girl is due August 27th
    Liv Annmarie born 8/25 7lbs 6oz 21 1/2 inches long 

NurseRieger
  • Oh yeah you're married to a cop too! Probably the most difficult profession to be married to. So use to being in control of every situation they really don't do as well with what they can't fix or following someone else's direction. I just told him I've done 90% of everything for this baby from day 1 so consider me the expert. He is really good with him though I must say, he followed my routine while I was working the other night and LO got a 7 1/2 hour stretch of sleep! I've yet to have that...my boobs would explode by 7 hrs anyway lol
    Justone13
  • Lol I'll usually get her back to sleep for about 2-3 hrs when we get home. So that's it. Luckily I work a 2-2-3 schedule so I don't have to do it 5 days straight or anything like that.
    NurseRieger