Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

I'm about to cry

So I know that at least one response will be that I should check with breastfeeding board, but the majority of those currently posting are new mom's struggling.  Not second time mom with 9.5 month old.  Son got teeth really really early, and a lot of them.  8 before 6 months.  We struggled with breast feeding for a bit but seemed to recover.  Now for the last couple of days all he is doing is biting.  he is cranky like he wants to nurse but is not covering his teeth with his tongue.  I am so frustrated and about to cry.  besides just keep trying does anyone have any tips?

Re: I'm about to cry

• Options

Paging @KateLouise

I think she might be helpful with this.

• Options
    I'll try and be helpful :)

When LO bites on you do you un-latch him and get him to re-latch? I'm a big believer that a hungry baby will drink and that if they're biting or playing on the breast then they're not really hungry, so I don't have a problem with latching and re-latching. If they lose interest then so be it. That way he learns not to bite, in the same way when you have a new baby and they latch badly, then you re-latch them so they learn to do it right.

What have you tried for the teething because it seems like he's using you as a chew toy. Have you tried those chew toys that have water in them and you can chill in the fridge, so are nice and numbing for LO, or chilling  a wet face cloth in the freezer is nice too. Obviously there are gels and ointments, but some people prefer not to use those.

Best wishes.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  I do think that he is often just playing.  I do stop and try to have him re-latch and we've been making some little progress.  he will now at least nurse for a few seconds before biting :)  and this evening instead of crying himself to sleep on my chest, he nursed on both sides!!  slow and steady and we will win the race!
  • Options
    That's good news. Hang in there!!
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old