November 2015 Moms
Options

Need advice...Full term and Dr. wants to induce

Hi everyone, 

I'm 40 weeks as of Tuesday and my Dr. is concerned that the baby is getting too big. Not just in weight, but her head is looking sizable and i'm very petite and narrow down there. I originally wanted a natural birth and am struggling with the thought of pitocin followed by an epidural. I don't love the idea of a c section ( longer and tougher recovery) however, if it's healthier for my baby than pumping all the pitocin in there to induce, i'll gladly take on the c section. 

I guess I'm wondering if giving my baby an extra week to come on her own and then just accepting the fact that i'll probably need a c section to get her out is better than being induced and having her vaginally? 

I'm a first time mom and just want to do what is best for my baby. 

Any advice would be so very welcome, thanks! 

Re: Need advice...Full term and Dr. wants to induce

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would take the induction first over choosing a c-section. Yes the contractions are going to be more painful on pictocin but that doesn't mean immediate epidural. I did choose one but that was my preference due to a long induction.
    I also second what @GoogleMD said being someone who had to be induced 3 times for medical reasons.
  • Options

Let me start by saying, I never meant to offend anyone. If my choice in words or phrasing has offended anyone I apologize. 

I was only inquiring about going from a natural state of mind to the complete opposite. I am not used to medications as I don't take any and never really have.  The one time I was on a major pain reliever post surgery I got violently ill from it and I'm scared about the pending induction. 

I merely wanted to know from those who have had induced labors and c sections what their experiences were like and if they preferred one from the other. Most of my friends have had natural home births, and are little to no help when it comes to pitocin, or epidurals or c sections. 

I hope this clears up any confusion over my original post. 
  • Options
    I delivered my baby by c section and I would recommend not throwing in recovering from a major surgery into the mix if it could be avoided. 15 days out and I'm just starting to feel like myself. Although everyone's experience is different.
  • Options

Let me start by saying, I never meant to offend anyone. If my choice in words or phrasing has offended anyone I apologize. 

I was only inquiring about going from a natural state of mind to the complete opposite. I am not used to medications as I don't take any and never really have.  The one time I was on a major pain reliever post surgery I got violently ill from it and I'm scared about the pending induction. 

I merely wanted to know from those who have had induced labors and c sections what their experiences were like and if they preferred one from the other. Most of my friends have had natural home births, and are little to no help when it comes to pitocin, or epidurals or c sections. 

I hope this clears up any confusion over my original post. 
    I originally planned an unmedicated water birth at a birth center. So I get changing your mindset is a little difficult. I was induced at 38 weeks due to pre-eclampsia. i was given multiple rounds of misoprostal, pitocin, had my water broken, and ended up getting an epidural (the only time mine and baby's heart rate dropped was right after the epi, we got oxygen and everything was fine, apparently it's normal). My epidural was awesome. I was able to relax enough to dilate 6 cm (in 45 minutes!) but I still had full use of my legs. I was able to stand and use the squat bar. I could also feel exactly when I needed to push. My baby girl handled labor and delivery like a champ. She actually had accelerations during pushing (which is unusual). She was totally alert and looking around before her head was out and once her head was out she was crying before I had finished delivering her. It was completely different than I had planned, I was induced and had a bunch of meds, but it was amazing, and I had a perfectly healthy baby.

I would opt for an induction than just giving into c-section. A section is a huge surgery and in the long run will probably require more meds (a spinal not just an epidural and potential pain meds for recovery). Talk to your OB about induction options. If I have to induce next time, I will ask if they can break my water before they do any meds. I didn't progress much until they broke my water.
  • Options
    OP - I'm in the same boat and have same question, but getting induced Monday due to AMA (= im old). I dont regularly take medicine and treat my health issues with supplements/diet/exercise unless all else fails. I would love to wait for another week, but im told that i can't. For what it's worth, i had a growth scan done Friday which, while maybe not accurate, made me feel a LOT better about my chances of vaginal birth if induction works. Im 5'2" and 90 lbs pre-pregnancy and also thought i was at risk due to size in vaginal delivery, and heard of issues that similar mini-size friends have had during their labor/delivery, but discussed with my doctor and she thinks my pelvis is normal size even if the rest of me is not. She's not worried at all about my pelvis working as long as my cervix does! So in the end, I'm starting with induction. Good luck with your decision, i don't think that it's an easy one.
  • Options
    Hey OP-I would recommend trusting your instincts and listening to what that little voice inside of you is saying. I didn't want to induce, as I didn't think my sons lateness (41 weeks) was a necessary reason to do so. I ultimately ended up getting bullied in to it by my OB, and even thought I knew my body wasn't ready (not dialated or effaced) I gave in. While ultimately it was all worth it, as my son is sleeping peacefully next to me, had I waited a few more days, I may not have had to have gone through 41 hours of labor and 2 hours of pushing only to end up with a c section in the end. With that being said, the end totally and a million percent justified the means, but maybe I wouldn't have had to put my body through all of that undue stress had I bucked doctors recommendations and waited things out a little more. I hope that this helps...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    At the university hospital where I'm delivering again, they have a pretty firm stance against induction unless medically necessary (and they are pretty up on current practice, research based decisions). I know they would not advocate for an induction at 40 weeks based only on the guess of a "big" baby. I'd wait it out and relook at options at 41-42 weeks if needed. Good luck!
  • Options
    As someone who had a macrosomic baby and a very difficult labor and delivery, take the induction. My DD almost didn't make it because she was stuck and no one realized until she had to be pulled out by 2 OBs, it was too late for CS. This time I'm being induced at 38+2 even tho baby is not projected to be big at all.
  • Options
    I am being induced Wednesday for multiple reasons. This is baby #3, and I had to have pitocin with both of my previous labors. My babies were both fine, and I avoided c sections. Because of my first two labors, I know I will more than likely have to have pitocin again anyways, so I am not freaking out about induction. Baby needs to get here safely, and that's all that matters to me. Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! 

I'm feeling so much better about possibly needing to be induced this week! 

Wishing us all well on our motherhood journey's!