April 2016 Moms

Baby Carriers/ Wearers : )

Re: Baby Carriers/ Wearers : )

• Is there anywhere/anyone with online, real-life reviews? I really like the idea of baby wearing but I don't want to get one that I hate and give up on it.

it's hard because there is the baby wearing community that is addicted and then there is the regular mom community that just wants a carrier for the grocery store. Do you have a feeling which "category" you may fall into?

Babywearing 102 is a great fb group with lots of info
    Probably for grocery runs, possibly around the house when LO is very young because I pace a lot. DH is stuck on a travel system stroller, which I don't really like, so if that's what we get he's going to be pushing it and I'll wear if I'm out with LO.
  • I wear my babies a lot, and plan on doing the same with this one. I've always used my ergo and loved it, but got a moby wrap when it was on sale to try it out.

DS 10/19/09

DD 3/14/11

BFP 8/8/12 EDD 4/20/13 MMC @ 9+ wks D&C 9/27/12

DS2 9/12/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • OkieMamaOkieMama member
    edited November 2015
    I had a moby wrap for mostly around the house use, and an ergo. I love both of them but am really wanting to add a ring sling to the mix this time around. I'm wanting to ask for one for Christmas but looking around on Amazon to find which one to wish list is making my head hurt.

I notice most of you say specific brand names of carriers but then just generically "ring sling"...are all ring slings created equal? I don't want to buy or ask for the "wrong" kind.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bought a K'tan from my local mom BST page yesterday, and spent like 20 minutes watching a youtube video and trying to wear my son's baby doll last night... ugh I fail at baby wearing! I'm sure I would be 100% hopeless with an actual wrap!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • @OkieMama Here's the one i put on my wish list:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KCTF9G4/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_3_15?colid=1OJJS2IJNDADS&coliid=I329C3SSZGPSHJ&vs=1

Ive tried it on (in a different color) and felt like it was comfortable and it seemed like it would be easy to use. I think it has pretty good padding in the part that goes over your shoulder to help keep your shoulder from getting sore. It felt easy to adjust to keep baby secured.

I havent actually tried it with a baby so dont know if they can wiggle enough to make it loose but it would be easy to tighten back up. This one also has a pocket in the end that hangs down so you could put your keys, phone, and wallet in there (major + if you ask me). And the lady that helped me said it also is pretty good for breastfeeding and still keeping things covered.

However, this is the only ring sling I have tried on so I have no idea how other ones would compare.
  • I did not like the k'tan at all. I used the Bjorn more before knowing it wasn't the best option. This time I am looking at the ergo and will be looking at some other brands mentioned as well.
  • @OkieMama I have a neobulle ring sling, it's made from a woven wrap. I LOVE IT and I highly recommend it.
  • OkieMama said:

I had a moby wrap for mostly around the house use, and an ergo. I love both of them but am really wanting to add a ring sling to the mix this time around. I'm wanting to ask for one for Christmas but looking around on Amazon to find which one to wish list is making my head hurt.

I notice most of you say specific brand names of carriers but then just generically "ring sling"...are all ring slings created equal? I don't want to buy or ask for the "wrong" kind.

I have been looking at this ring sling:

It's a Kuwaiti based company with very beautiful prints. Not sure what shipping to the US would cost. :)

https://desert-baby.com/collections/all?page=1

A friend of mine bought the one called Gray (that is currently sold out) and she loves it so much.

• Babywearer here. I have a bit of everything but not crazy about having to have brand specific stuff. I have a ring sling (my fav for a newborn and still use with my toddler on occasion), a mei tai (my fav carrier), a few wraps (moby... My first wrap, natibaby, DIY linen, traditional rebozos), and a buckle carrier (I have the Pikkolo) mostly for DH to use when hiking or when we are flying and it makes airports so much better!

I still wear my toddler 2y4m especially when we go to the farmers market on the weekends. Baby wearing is a necessity to most people around the world and I don't know how people do without it!

Don't get caught up in "name brands" look and try on, find a local lending library with a local group or a local store. I don't want a Tula simply because it's a "thing" that everyone wants. Lol. I personally like Buckle carriers (SSC) that cross in the back. So much easier on the back when you front carry (Beco, Pikkolo, Kinderpack and Lilibaby all do) Tula and Ergos do not. Also dual adjust buckles are really nice as well.

• OkieMama said:

People like different types of shoulders. There're gathered and pleated. They make a big difference but you need to try to see what you like best. I like pleated but with a short pleat vs a longer shoulder.

• Ok question - if I plan to not have assistance, what carriers should I avoid? Wraps like the Moby seem like they would be entirely too difficult to use by myself.
  • Ok question - if I plan to not have assistance, what carriers should I avoid? Wraps like the Moby seem like they would be entirely too difficult to use by myself.

I think the issue would be more with types of carries (back carries are hard to learn without a buddy) than actual carriers. They all have a learning curve, but I haven't found one I can't practice doing by myself.
    Anniversary 

I swear the moby isn't hard to put on by yourself. It definitely takes a few practice runs, but you totally get the hang of it.
  • Question for Tula peeps. Has anyone tried to wear a toddler in the regular Tula? If so, how comfortable is it? My daughter is 30 lbs and it says they go up to 45lbs?! That's amazing. 
  • Ring sings must have aluminum rings, not plastic. But two of my three ring slings are homemade ones. With a RS you want a fabric that's good for you. NO stretchy fabric. Linen blends are nice for warm weather. Gauze fabric is even nicer for warm weather but digs in after about 12-15 lb of baby. Sakura bloom and maya wrap are two popular ring sling companies, and you can also buy a "wcrs" wrap conversion ring sling - woven wrap that I has been converted to a RS. These are more expensive. Sleeping Baby productions has ring slings on etsy that are good quality as well.

My personal favorite is my Ima wcrs, it's like butter. But it's totally not necessary to spend what I did on it, you can get awesome ones for $50 or less.
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • I'm not a big wrapper but I love my ring sling, ergo and Mai tai. The mt is super for back carries when they are older.
  • allaire314allaire314 member
    edited November 2015
    Holy information overload batman!

So interested in carriers, and really need to reach out to local groups as PP have said... for all those FTMs that are as overwhelmed as I am with all this great info (thanks ladies!), here is a list of all the carriers mentioned so you can do your research!

-Tula -Ergo -Moby
    -Lillebaby -Boba -Solly Wrap
    -Beco (Gemini) -K'tan -Infantino Mei Tai
    -Sakura Bloom -Didymos -Girasol
    -Natibaby -Pavo -Kinderpack
    -Maya Wrap -Neobulle -Sleeping Baby Productions
    -Pikkolo -Rebozos -DIY

*Also mentioned was Desert Baby (not in the US - check shipping)
    and Bjorn... as in don't get one.

ETA: Formatting
  • @allaire314 I just spent 2 hours watching tutorials and reviews on YouTube. Insanely helpful, and seeing the way they're all used has really helped me narrow down my coices already. I'll be filling in/editing my spreadsheet as I research more :)
  • @AmadorRose spreadsheets help me with everything I do... they are amazing ::insert heart eyed emoji here::

Ps... what happened to the emojis?!?!??
  • I had an ergo with dd1 and as she got older my friend whose youngest was finally too big to be worn graciously gifted me her beco Gemini. Personally, I would go with the beco over the ergo for ftms looking to buy a carrier. Both are well made and I admit the sun shade on the ergo is superior, but even with the ergo 360 allowing you to face out I would still buy the beco because it is SO much more comfortable to wear. The ability to cross the straps in the back makes so much difference in your ability to carry your lo longer and more comfortably., especially once hey get bigger. I didn't think the difference would be so dramatic but it really was - enough so that I ended up selling my ergo.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @allaire314 my current spreadsheet has tabs for carriers, strollers, and car seats; cribs and other baby accessories to be added later.
  • I haven't won a baby in a few years (my youngest is almost 5) but I have a Moby, an Ergo, and a Maya ring sling. The May was the latest addition with my second and I loved how easy it was to use. The Moby had a slight learning curve but I din't mind- it felt very cozy. I'm looking forward to using it again. The Ergo was a two person task many times unless I was wearing an older baby on my back. I liked that my husband could (and wanted to) wear that one too. Buy second hand or heavily discounted if possible since it can be very difficult to find what works for you and your baby and you might want different carriers for different events/places. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @allaire314, if you're ever going to check out a local meeting, let me know. I totally want to go! And if you're not a member already, check out the Babywearing Intl of Phoenix group on facebook :)
  • In terms of SSCs (soft structured carriers), I 100% agree to get one where the straps cross in the back. I don't really get why ergo is the go to when beco and lillebaby are so much better and same price!

Tula is super popular but more expensive and don't cross, but I know moms who basically just use them for back carries, and get obsessed with all the wrap conversion prints.

Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • @AEG84 Just put in my request for the group! Unfortunately going to be out of town for their next weekend meeting, but I'll let you know if I hit one up when they add more dates!
  • I tried on a Moby wrap in a maternity store and really liked it, but heard they can get hot, and with our spring / summer babies coming, I was a little unsure. I registered for a Solly Baby wrap and the LILLEbaby Complete Airflow 6-in-1 and feel like we'll have our bases covered with those.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • In terms of SSCs (soft structured carriers), I 100% agree to get one where the straps cross in the back. I don't really get why ergo is the go to when beco and lillebaby are so much better and same price! Tula is super popular but more expensive and don't cross, but I know moms who basically just use them for back carries, and get obsessed with all the wrap conversion prints.

I had registered for the ergo but the cross-back makes so much more sense! 
  • emgee27 said:

In terms of SSCs (soft structured carriers), I 100% agree to get one where the straps cross in the back. I don't really get why ergo is the go to when beco and lillebaby are so much better and same price!

Tula is super popular but more expensive and don't cross, but I know moms who basically just use them for back carries, and get obsessed with all the wrap conversion prints.

I had registered for the ergo but the cross-back makes so much more sense! 

Yeah I'd get the lillebaby or beco Gemini instead! Same price.

• Ring sling

• @NachosAndPeaches you can't see me, but I'm doing the heart-eyes emoji at your ring sling. Tula?
  • Here's the natibaby (size 6) wrap
    I want to devour your child. Is that weird? :D
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • AEG84 said:

@NachosAndPeaches you can't see me, but I'm doing the heart-eyes emoji at your ring sling. Tula?

Yes! And thank you. It's like butter. Not good for heat, but I mostly wore him at target or malls, never for walks. This is my obsession print. I want the wrap conversion buckle carrier but I don't want to spend a grand. Lol!

• I got a ring sling so she will be cozy during football games.

I've worn the moby and hated it b/c I was so hot. Friend told me about the k'tan and I found one at a second hand store and I love it.

I used to use an ergo and liked it and had registered for the lillebaby until I saw my friends beco Gemini and I lovvvvved it so we registered for that one.

Our local cloth diaper store had a baby wearing group that sells carriers on consignment and for like $30 you can rent a carrier to see if you like it and return and try a different one. I'd Google your area.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not sure if anyone else has posted comparison links, but this thread has gotten me thinking the past few days. I read a comparison on the Tula vs Ergo, but this one compares several more options of carriers. I think in all honesty, I'll be happy with either a Tula or Beco Gemini, whichever I can convince DH we need (so long as this kiddo likes being held!).
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @imrachellea oh that comparison is fantastic! Thank you!!
  • Not sure if anyone else has posted comparison links, but this thread has gotten me thinking the past few days. I read a comparison on the Tula vs Ergo, but this one compares several more options of carriers. I think in all honesty, I'll be happy with either a Tula or Beco Gemini, whichever I can convince DH we need (so long as this kiddo likes being held!).

Why is lillebaby not on there? Weird! I feel like it away more popular than pikkolo! It's greatly loved in the babywearing community.

• kalanieileenkalanieileen member
    edited December 2015
    I know this thread is old but I am reviving it because I didn't want to start a new one. I lightly skimmed the responses for the specific wrap I am looking for and I didn't see it.

Has anyone heard of and/or tried the solly baby wrap? I would like to know how their quality is, and how weight distribution for pack pain went.

Watching their tutorials online seem to be fairly easy.

This tutorial is for their newborn wrap.
  • This thread is making me confused. So many options! AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!