March 2016 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding vs formula

Re: Breastfeeding vs formula

• Options
    yodapup said:
    Thank you @cmerribury. Everything about DD was so easy (her temperament, bf, sleeping) I'm actually terrified this one is going to be the complete opposite!
    Don't be worried...I'm sure you'll be fine! I think people just say that to terrify pregnant ladies. :) I thought my son was really easy, but looking back on it, he had his challenges. For instance, getting him to sleep was a nightmare...lots of tip-toeing out of rooms, resting a hand on him for a solid minute while leaned over at an uncomfortable angle, screams just as the door closed, etc. Once he was asleep he'd sleep for 12 hours. But, he's still like this...now he's old enough to regulate himself, though. I'm hoping this one is an easy sleeper. I'd take all the BFing challenges in the world for an easy sleeper. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @skruhmin every damn day! Lol
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My supply was low. I faithfully latched her every two hours around the clock and at the first check up( 3 days post hospital or something) she has lost weight still. My milk didn't start until day 5. She ended up losing 12% of birth weight within the first week or two. Dr checked my latch and we talked about my diet and she reviewed the log of feelings I kept since day 1. Dr didn't initially suggest formula, but rather weight checks every 3 days, so we were there a lot the first 2-3 weeks. I felt like a huge failure. Lots of breakdowns in front of the dr. Baby literally didn't poop until she was 10 days old (except during birth). Dr said she was consuming every last drop I was feeding her. We ended up doing 2-3 ounces of formula a day and I was taught how to properly weigh her at home. Once weight started to rebound we cut the formula mostly. I don't know that we ever went more than a week or two without adding some formula here and there, but I was dedicated to make it work. (I think failure comes here a lot because women quit because they don't make enough, or dr suggests too much formula, or bottle confusion causes baby to deny latch). At four weeks I had to start pumping to return to work, so then it was feed baby, get her settled, attempt to pump, and get nothing or 1 ounce. And then store it, clean the pump, and then it was nearly time to nurse again. Baby ended up basically needed to eat what I pumped in the beginning, until I switched to just pumping when I went back to work. Working and continuing to latch never worked, my timing of being "full" never aligned her with feeding times that she needed in the evenings and I just would thaw milk for her. I pumped until 5 months maybe. Pumping at work enough was just impossible. I pumped mid morning and mid afternoon. Not enough, but what I could do. She got 75% my milk until 6-7 months. Somewhere in there I took the medication to increase my supply, although I don't think it did anything. I lost my baby weight (60 of the 80 pounds) very quickly. Not on purpose, I was just so consumed with nursing and then adding in pumping, I probably wasn't eating/ drinking enough. Something I will focus on more this time. Also, it hurt. Nursing hurt every latch every feeding, every time. Drs and lc never found a reason. I was mentally a little overboard probably- if we were at the mall and baby's two hour feeding time slot was in 12 minutes, I was on the hunt for a quiet location to do it. I would lock myself in rooms at family events to nurse. I struggled every single feeding. Baby wouldn't wake or stay awake or latch right, etc. naked baby, crying baby, calm baby, nothing helped. Baby was very good- slept through the night starting at 7 weeks but feeding was so stressful. I actually told myself to just use formula next time around so I could just enjoy baby more. But here I am and This time around I will nurse again, if at all possible. I'm trying to think of ways to improve the process, looking for insights also. So far what I plan to do differently: have more time off work to focus and not intoduce bottle as early( first time around I didn't get fmla, this time I get 16 weeks at a better job). Use bottles specifically recognized for nursing moms when time comes to need them, I've been looking at como tomo. Eat better/drink more. Be more relaxed. Get the best pump I can. Keep my schedule book this time again- I think it helped my confidence that I was doing enough for baby. I've found a local nursing moms group. I saw lc in hospital last time, and will again. Also meeting with lc from hospital during 8month of pregnancy to talk about bras,
    Pumping, and support programs. Any other advice? Anyone get bad advice before? Maybe that's what in getting too and don't know it.
  • Options
    @alligreer88 holy cow that sounds stressful but major props for sticking it out as long as you did.  I found second time around was so much easier than first - DS2 was way more efficient than DS1.  I had a better pump second time around.  I definitely kept up my calories and drank a ton of water - that is so key to have a great attempt at being successful.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options
    I do have a different dr this time around as well- different ped for the kids I should say. But I will add, she didn't suggest the formula until about 2 weeks old, when the birth weight still wasn't moving - and poops were basically non existent. I think the 1-2 of oz formula was also reassurance that bowels were working correctly. Baby was born at almost 10 lbs, 22 inches, so the 12% was even more weight that what a 7-8lb baby would have been. I think my dr did so well at telling if NOT to rely on formula or think it replaces a feeding, and increase latches if anything. I'm feeling really nervous about supplementing and then wanting to quit this time around, if it's needed.
  • Options
    I do think that there are misconceptions about low supply. I remember worrying with my first after a few weeks that my supply was dropping and was so stressed about it. Then I did some research and realized I was worrying because I wasn't feeling a strong let down and re filling sensation like I was at first, which is totally normal and not a sign of low supply.

I also think, like others have mentioned, that sometimes people worry that their baby is hungry and not getting enough to eat because they are crying and fussing. And sometimes there is an issue, and sometimes they are just babies being babies. They have fussy times or want to cluster feed or whatever, and it doesn't mean your starving them.

I understand that it can be hard when you don't know for sure how much your baby is eating (my grandma has asked me so many times how many ounces the baby is eating, even though every time I tell her I don't know) but unless your baby is not gaining weight or not having enough wet diapers, low supply is probably not the issue.

There are plenty of reasons to stop breastfeeding and none of them are wrong. Do what works for you and your family.

• Options
    yodapup said:
    I never had supply issues with DD but I always wondered what makes some ladies think they have low supply? Are your babies losing weight and not thriving? Serious question. How do you know you need to supplement or switch completely to formula?

I had to start supplementing when DS had lost right at 10% of his body weight and was not getting satisfied after feedings. It is very obvious when they are not getting what they need. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @jess9802 I definitely agree with you to an extent I have a feeling the 5% or 1 out of 20 is likely women who can't without serious intervention by just low supply. I know other women who had other mitigating factors (nipples, breast shape) that also couldn't make it work. When those factors are added together I'm sure it makes the incidence higher. Don't forget you and I are hearing anecdotal evidence and I absolutely believe living in Canada we likely have higher BF rates because supply can be established before going back to work. While BFing worked for me without too much issue other than low weight (which was just my son's body type). I could NOT have done it going back to work 6 weeks later - no way in hell.

I also not a fan of lactating using drugs like domperidone - my SIL took it when she went back to work and was pumping (her supply took a dive because pumping is hard!) and one of the symptoms is death. I know they always have to list if it happened during a drug trail but that stuff is terrifying! I was raised on formula and I'm fine, not willing to risk crazy side effects from drug to BF.
  • Options
    @jess9802 I definitely agree with you to an extent I have a feeling the 5% or 1 out of 20 is likely women who can't without serious intervention by just low supply. I know other women who had other mitigating factors (nipples, breast shape) that also couldn't make it work. When those factors are added together I'm sure it makes the incidence higher. Don't forget you and I are hearing anecdotal evidence and I absolutely believe living in Canada we likely have higher BF rates because supply can be established before going back to work. While BFing worked for me without too much issue other than low weight (which was just my son's body type). I could NOT have done it going back to work 6 weeks later - no way in hell. I also not a fan of lactating using drugs like domperidone - my SIL took it when she went back to work and was pumping (her supply took a dive because pumping is hard!) and one of the symptoms is death. I know they always have to list if it happened during a drug trail but that stuff is terrifying! I was raised on formula and I'm fine, not willing to risk crazy side effects from drug to BF.
    This.... I plan on BF for as long as I can but I wont be going back for 9 months... so enough time to establish supply, build up a freezer stash, introduce solids so I am not trying to BF, work full time, pump and somehow provide for a 2 month old who still wants to BF every few hours

I don't know how you ladies in America who are not SAH moms do it.... I have been completely spoiled living in another culture and see the struggles my friends at home had to go to because of the bias against women/new moms in the work place

LFAF- Best Olympic Moments...  Jackie Joyner-Kersee

• Options
    @jess9802 I definitely agree with you to an extent I have a feeling the 5% or 1 out of 20 is likely women who can't without serious intervention by just low supply. I know other women who had other mitigating factors (nipples, breast shape) that also couldn't make it work. When those factors are added together I'm sure it makes the incidence higher. Don't forget you and I are hearing anecdotal evidence and I absolutely believe living in Canada we likely have higher BF rates because supply can be established before going back to work. While BFing worked for me without too much issue other than low weight (which was just my son's body type). I could NOT have done it going back to work 6 weeks later - no way in hell. I also not a fan of lactating using drugs like domperidone - my SIL took it when she went back to work and was pumping (her supply took a dive because pumping is hard!) and one of the symptoms is death. I know they always have to list if it happened during a drug trail but that stuff is terrifying! I was raised on formula and I'm fine, not willing to risk crazy side effects from drug to BF.
    This.... I plan on BF for as long as I can but I wont be going back for 9 months... so enough time to establish supply, build up a freezer stash, introduce solids so I am not trying to BF, work full time, pump and somehow provide for a 2 month old who still wants to BF every few hours

I don't know how you ladies in America who are not SAH moms do it.... I have been completely spoiled living in another culture and see the struggles my friends at home had to go to because of the bias against women/new moms in the work place
    It sucks for sure. I went back to a brand new job when my son was 7 months old (I'd been laid off right after maternity leave, which is why he was so old). On my very first day I shut the door of my office to pump and then immediately someone did the knock and open and walked right in on me sticking my boobs into a milking contraption. Fortunately, AT LEAST, it was another woman, but it was super irritating. I can't wait to do the "walk of shame" through the office again with all of my pump bits to clean in the kitchen. I'm sure that won't spark and awkward conversations with the men in my company...
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    skruhminskruhmin member
    edited November 2015

It sucks for sure. I went back to a brand new job when my son was 7 months old (I'd been laid off right after maternity leave, which is why he was so old). On my very first day I shut the door of my office to pump and then immediately someone did the knock and open and walked right in on me sticking my boobs into a milking contraption. Fortunately, AT LEAST, it was another woman, but it was super irritating. I can't wait to do the "walk of shame" through the office again with all of my pump bits to clean in the kitchen. I'm sure that won't spark and awkward conversations with the men in my company...
    Can I be honest here?  I didn't clean mine at work.  I just wiped them off with paper towel and put them in a gallon ziploc and then put them in my cooler bag that I had the milk in and then washed them in the dishwasher at night.  No walk of shame needed.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    skruhminskruhmin member
    edited November 2015
    And yeah, coming back to work after the 6 weeks seriously sucks.  I bawl every time.  It is so stressful to maintain that supply, but it's so important to me to do.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    Totally appreciate the honesty! Toward the end I bought those "wipes" that were insanely expensive and used them in between, so that I didn't need to do the walk of shame. I had to pump like 3 times at work though, so I just felt like I had to clean. Keeping them in the cooler is BRILLIANT.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    3-4x a day here.  Thankfully our pumping room has a roll of paper towel so it made it super easy.  Also lucky to have an actual pumping room.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    I wanted to BF with DS so badly. I tried for over a week, after recovering from a difficult labor/ c-section. My milk would just NOT come in. I was frustrated, upset, and angry with myself. I wish I would have done more research on the challenges of breastfeeding but now I know. I am going to try everything this time, and more importantly, try not to give up. BF is challenging and some people really do struggle with their supply. 
  • Options
    @meganmarie1087 do you research and try everything you're comfortable with so you can feel like you did everything you can. I understand so many people have issues in the beginning and if it's not going to work out for you knowing you tried everything must make you feel better. I'd try finding an accepting breastfeeding group before baby comes to see if any of the other ladies had similar issues as you and see what worked/didn't work. I say an accepting group because some can be a little off-the-wall.
    The best advice I've received from a BFing group when I was struggling with a low weight baby is to eat a high fat diet - nuts, coconut milk, avacado (it was pretty easy lol) and it was pretty good advice this 2 month is when baby went from 2nd percentile to 6th percentile!
  • Options
    I'm nervous about working full time and having to pump, and my baby will be almost 6 months old by the time I have to go back full-time! I have to admit that only working part-time has made a huge difference in my ability to continue to nurse my two girls for as long as I did. And I was super part-time, at only 15 hours a week.

I have the chance to work at a beach camp over the summer, which will only be about 25 hours a week, and I'm not sure about it. Baby will be 15 weeks then, and I won't have the chance to pump while I'm working. We will probably need the money, but I just might not be able to swing it if it interferes with breastfeeding. This country SERIOUSLY needs to improve (PAID!) maternity leave.
  • Options
    I have to go back full time time at 12 weeks, and will need to pump full time too. It sucks, but I did it before and can do it again. We don't have the kind of flexibility that would allow us to live without my salary for 6 months. Or even 15 weeks. Honestly, 12 weeks with partial salary will be a massive struggle and my maternity leave in this country is considered good.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Thanks for sharing about the part time and it helping. I think I'm going to take my 16 weeks offered as 8 weeks, and then part time, instead of straight 16- in hopes it promotes my nursing. I had to go back at 6 weeks last time around and only nursed/pumped until 4-5 months. This time I will be off 2 months, part time for another 6.
  • Options
    I should add, the first 8 weeks I get are paid, I'm using paid vacation 13 days and my 8 weeks fmla unpaid part time following that, so at least I'll always get some sort of check. And I'm only paid monthly. Some of these summer months are going to be long. I make significantly more Than my husband, but considering I got six weeks unpaid the first time around, I'm taking every day I can this time. I'll figure out the financials as they come- our load of monthly payments is low because we have never had anything extravagant, so I think it will work out okay.
  • Options
     @skruhmin I never washed pump parts either between pumps.  Everything went into the fridge after every session then washed at home that night.
  • Options
    You guys are giving me hope that this time will be easier. Down with pump part washing and walks of shame!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Yep I figure if the breast milk is safe then the parts are.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    With DS I went back to work full time when he was eight weeks old. My maternity leave was four weeks at 100% pay and four weeks at 50% pay. I had a flexible schedule and a private office, so pumping was relatively easy to make work. I pumped until DS turned one and nursed him until he was 19 mos old and did not need to supplement with formula in that first year. I never washed pump parts either - just stored in the cooler bag which I kept in the office fridge.
  • Options
    I also never washed pump parts at work I just brought gallon ziplock bags and stored the pump parts in the fridge. So much easier.

Also if you are too cheap or poor to buy a pumping bra I had no problem just using elastic bands (search YouTube). Honestly, once I got my iPhone it wasn't the worst to have 20 minutes to myself to just play around on the Internet or listen to an audio book/binge watch Netflix. As a working mom A good pump is a must and I think a double pump is also key.

A word of caution, I had an ameda pump and while I liked the pump, twice I thought I was having supply issues when really the pump motor was failing. Both times I called the company and they over nighted me a replacement. Lo and behold my supply would pick right up, but for 2-3 weeks I would struggle to pump enough and I had begun panicking that my milk was dwindling.

Like other pp I also highly recommended kellymom.com as a resource, it was a life saver. Since I didn't know many moms who bf'd successfully. And of course the lovely ladies here are always willing to give advice.
  • Options
    I was afraid of breastfeeding and failing last time because of the bump and all the horror stories of low supply. My advice to new moms is 1) don't get scared before you even try; 2) commit to it (it is easy and tempting to quit); and 3) don't try to lose weight too quickly at the beginning.

For those with supply problems, don't beat yourself up. Baby will get fed either way.

As for pumping, my bra would hold the cups on just fine. No need to buy a pumping bra. I learned it from a lady in my nursing mothers room.
  • Options
    For a pumping bra I just took a sports bra and cut out holes where the flanges go. Easy and cheap.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    I'm hoping that I will be successful at pumping, but only having 3 (maybe 3.5) weeks off before going back to work full time makes me nervous that I won't succeed. That's all the paid time I have, though. We can't afford for me to take any time off unpaid. Have any of you gone back to work that soon and still had success?
  • Options
    i had issues keeping baby to latch for 2 meals a day while baby got the others from a bottle. But it can be done. If your are planning on just plain pumping, I would think it would be even easier. Make sure you make pumping a priority, make sure your boss and peers know if needed, and stick to it- make sure they know you're sticking to it. Read up and do all the things you can to enable success. And remind yourself you can. Have someone to call when you want to quit, chances are you will want to at some point.
  • Options
    Ftm here- I'm wondering which bottles you all would recommend? I'm hoping to breastfeed, then pump when I go back to work, is there a specific bottle you/your babies swear by? Or is it more of a trial and error type thing?
  • Options
    MNGrl24 said:

Ftm here- I'm wondering which bottles you all would recommend? I'm hoping to breastfeed, then pump when I go back to work, is there a specific bottle you/your babies swear by? Or is it more of a trial and error type thing?

If your planning on switching back and forth from bottle to breast you should stick with the nipples that mimic the breast. This is the easiest transition for baby. Those are a little more expensive than the regular ol' bottles but they're definitely worth it. :)
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options
    I agree with @kynbar5 definitely look for a breastfeeding friendly bottle and nipple. Typically you want a very low flo nipple when you are switching so lo still has to work for it. (I'd start with just a few and see though because every baby is different and has different preferences, some babies get frustrated by the low flow nipple). We just bought 2 bottles when we are introducing the bottle and once we find what works then I'd buy a few more.
  • Options
    @Stormiewinter @kynbar5 good advice, we had no idea where to start looking so this is very helpful. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    skruhminskruhmin member
    edited November 2015
    MNGrl24 said:

We found trial and error. First baby was great with Medela and Playtex drop in and second we had to have the Dr Brown's flow bottles due to major spit up problems.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    MNGrl24 said:
    Lowest flow nipple is best.
  • Options
    I've thought about this so much, and googled so many times! I think selecting a good bottle is one thing I can do to promote my success. I've read a lot about como tomo bottles and plan on trying them. They come with medium flow, but I will buy the slow and use those.
  • Options
    Low flow is the way to go.
    BabyFruit Ticker