2nd Trimester
Options

Why do I have bald patches ?

I am 26 weeks and have found bald patches all across my head ?

Answers

• Options
    The changes in your hormones can cause hair loss.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've been losing tons of hair for the past 10ish weeks. I don't have any bald spots though. I had my Dr check my Thyroid because apparently hair loss can be linked to an issue there. That wasn't the case for me, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've had some hair loss with the pregnancy and my ob had my thyroid checked just in case. I'd still check with your doc just in case, especially when your hair loss is severe enough to cause bald patches.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I've had hypothyroidism since I was 12, which is 17 years. My thyroid levels are fine, but I lost a ton of hair during the first trimester. Hormones!! Dang it. I have a few small bald spots on the crown of my head, but I seem to be losing less hair now, at 17 weeks. 
    Be kind to yourself, things will level out eventually.
  • Options
    Thank you's at the moment I have been given a light steroid to see if it help to grow my hair back
  • Options
    It could also be anemia. Obviously the baby is taking a lot of your iron amount other nutrients. Were you tested for thyroid issues and your vitamin levels? Obviously a steroid crem might help the symptoms of alopecia but it won't treat the cause! If you haven't been properly tested please insist on it!
  • Options
    Second the anemia post above - low iron can cause hairloss as well, and there was an article posted on these boards not long ago - I think it was a huffpost article - about a woman who went almost totally bald during her pregnancy and they didn't realize she had really low iron until her third tri.  There could be tons of causes for hairloss during pregnancy (hormone fluctuations, baby stealing various other nutrients, general body stress, etc.) but if you haven't had your iron checked recently, add that to the list of to-dos!  
  • Options
    Thank you's all so much going to get tested thank you
  • Options
    So this weekend I went and got a hair cut and the stylist noticed my hair and recommended a shampoo call Nioxin. She said it helps and lots of pregnant women who lose lots of hair use it. Apparently lots of shampoos are heavy and the weighing down on our hair isn't good for it. I've only used it twice but it seems like the hair cut alone really helped with the hair loss.
  • Options
    soxfan9968soxfan9968 member
    edited November 2015
    My mom has Nioxin shampoo at her salon. It's supposed to stimulate blood to the hair follicles and clean them out.
    ETA: they also have some foam treatment to leave in your hair after you wash but I don't know if it's safe during pregnancy.

Edit: wash not watch!!

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • Options

My mom has Nioxin shampoo at her salon. It's supposed to stimulate blood to the hair follicles and clean them out.
    ETA: they also have some foam treatment to leave in your hair after you watch but I don't know if it's safe during pregnancy.

They gave me the full set of stuff but I didn't like the foam because it made my hair really greasy.