Breastfeeding
Options

Mini pill

Just got my rx for the mini pill... EBF, so no period. When do I start taking the pill?

Re: Mini pill

• Options
    My OB said just to start taking it "anytime". She wasn't super helpful. But yeah, same boat, I just started taking one nightly once I got the Rx filled. She said I could start it on a Sunday if I didn't want to get a period over the weekend but at 4 months I've gone through 2.5 packs now and still no period so I don't think it matters. Also, my doc said it would take 10 days to work, other people were told they need to use a 2nd contraception method for a month. Who knows. We are being very careful where we finish if you know what I mean, hard to know if you're fertile without tracking a period!! Sorry if TMI, just be careful with it if you don't want to get preggers again!
  • Options
    @klirwin82 Thank you! My LO is only 7 weeks... So definitely not yet!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    swelniakswelniak member
    edited November 2015
    I would take it as soon as you decide to start having sex again. Just because you're EBF and not having a period doesn't mean you're not fertile. There have been many "oops" babies that way. When I got my Mirena out for #2, I got pregnant 3 weeks later before I ever had a period.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Yes I think everyone forgets ovulation happens before your period and if you don't get pregnant that's why you have a period, so no cycle is needed if it happens the first time
  • Options
    RNmommy13 said:

Yes I think everyone forgets ovulation happens before your period and if you don't get pregnant that's why you have a period, so no cycle is needed if it happens the first time

Correct. I have known 1 BFing mom who had 3 kids and hadn't had a period since getting pregnant with kid #1. BFing gives natural birth control to women who do it exclusively, baby to breast, no pumping, baby sling wearing, no pacifier just comfort nursing, cosleeping, no formula, and no stretches at night longer than 4 hours. So basically just the hard core BF mammas, those of us who pump at work, use pacifier, give occasional bottle of formula need some birthcontrol. I got my script at 5 weeks and started it the next Sunday.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone... I'll start taking it tomorrow!
  • Options
    I took the mini pill until my daughter was a year old. Then I realized I was out of it and thought I had PPD, but my Dr sucked and couldn't really help me sort through any of it. My prescription lasped and I didn't take it for a month. My head finally cleared and I felt like myself again. I got my first period 13 months pp, we tried to time it out when I wasn't ovulating and it worked for a while. Now, she just turned 2 last week, still nurse twice a day, and have a son due in 3 months!