2nd Trimester
Options

Who are you guys having in the delivery room?

I'm a F.T.M., and I've been stressing a lot about who to have in the Delivery Room. I don't really have much of a relationship with my mom she only really contacts me when she needs money.  I have no INTENTIONS on keeping my son away from my mom. I've been set on it just being me and S/O because, I feel like childbirth isn't a spectator sport and it's a very intimate moment that I don't really want to share or feel comfortable sharing( sorry if I'm coming off as selfish): ). My mom keeps asking me who I'm gonna have in the delivery room, at first i told her JUST my S/O we want to get a chance to bond with the baby, skin -skin, and breastfeed at least for an 1 hour before we start allowing people in but she told me I was selfish, and how dare i deprive her of the experience, how dare i take it away from her it's not about me she deserves to be in there. (Mom can be very judgmental and down putting sometimes) I also know that if i let her in her boyfriend and his mom are gonna want to come in. so my question to you guys is do you think I'm being selfish? Do I owe her this experience? What would you do? and who are you having in the Delivery room?

Re: Who are you guys having in the delivery room?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Only my husband. I have no doubt he'll be a great support and companion. :) I'm sure my mom is somewhat disappointed, as she had her own mother in there with her. But my mom had three kids of her own, so I think she's had enough labor room fun.
    We also will probably not allow any family/visitors until hours later, perhaps not even until the next day.
  • Options
    Only my husband will be in the delivery room. Family can visit me in the hospital after delivery.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    It will just be DH and I. There is no way whatsoever I will be letting anyone else in there. As for your mother, you are not being selfish at all, but this is a time in your life when you are allowed to be selfish about these things. I would tell her that it's not happening and leave it at that.
  • Options
    Totally up to you how you feel about it. I only want my DH in the room during labor. Before I actually start to push my parents can be in there but that's really it of who I want in the room. Anybody else can be at the hospital but in the waiting room until they can come into where I am. 

Like @skcobb said, my DH is not going past my shoulders. Personally my mom will stress me out and my DH is the only one who will calm me down if I need it so that's why I only want him. I just don't want everyone to see in between my legs, there will already be enough people in there with all the doctors/nurses. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Jules08Jules08 member
    edited November 2015

Just DH and I.  DS will be at a friend's house or with family.

It sounds like you just want it to be you and SO.  Be straight forward with your mom, don't let her feel like she has a say.  Then let your nurses know what you want and they will be the bad guys for you and only let who you want in the room.

• Options
    Just my DH.  I don't want there to be more people than necessary in the delivery room.  I even kicked the med student out of the room when I was in labor with my son.  
  • Options
    I'm planning on having my husband and my Mom.  They get along well, and my Mom has never gotten to be IN the delivery room for my sister's kids, so it would be so special for her.  
  • Options
    If our parents want to pop in to say hi they can, but once I'm pushing, only DH is allowed in the room.

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    Only my husband, and if it's a 'normal' uncomplicated delivery*, only my husband in the hospital. Parents can visit at home.**

* if God forbid, there's a complication with me or the baby I'll want my parents there after.

** but my Dad will be instructed to be by the phone as he's a doctor so I trust his advice if we need it or given options
  • Options
    Only my husband once I start pushing. I'm close with my parents but I wouldn't feel comfortable with them in the room for that
  • Options
    I'm gunna be having my mom & my SO with me.
  • Options
    My husband only. The only people who have a "right" to be in the room are the two people it took to create the baby, but that's just my opinion.
    Married July 2009, Rescue dog adopted September 2010, DS born June 2012
    Expecting LO2 in February 2016
    Ghost of MrsMuq
  • Options
    I haven't 100% decided but I'm kind of leaning toward just the medical staff.

It's probably going to be pretty ugly and I don't think I need anybody witnessing my moment of unglory. :p
  • Options
    Its only going to be the husband and i, family have been notified that we dont even want them in the hospital until we are ready for visitors.
  • Options
    I guess I'll have to have a  talk with her, and finally let her know my decision I just felt really pressured because, she'll go and tell the family I won't let her in and everyone tells me this is her first grandchild she "deserves" to be a part of it because she was a young mom and gas always made sacrifices, however isn't that what moms are supposed to do? I didn't know I needed to reward her with my intimate experience, because she did her job as a mom. I let my mom know all the time how thankful I am and always help her when I can but you guys are right I don't "OWE" her anything. I've heard the whole if you weren't there during conception you don't need to be there during the birth and hat makes sense, just got to find a way to tell her she's very defensive when things don't go her way.
  • Options
    My husband and my doula.
    My mama and I have a fantastic relationship; she's like my best friend, but there is absolutely no way in hell I'd have her there during my labor/delivery.
    She had her babies. I don't "owe" her this experience any more than my daughter would "owe" it to me just bc she happens to be a girl and *may* have kids one day. I love my mom, but she'd be making "helpful" suggestions (LOL) the whole time and I'd end up kicking her out, and that would be more hurtful. You're not selfish – your *MOM* is being selfish for trying to guilt trip you into including her in a moment that she is not entitled to be a part of. There will be a lifetime of getting to love on her grandchild, but that precious bonding time at the beginning of just for you and papa (if that is what your heart tells you is right for your family).

And it is what's right seeing as to how I'm not comfortable but all my family thinks, it's because I'm angry with her or because the mistakes she's made in the past.So of course everyone is on her side pressuring me to let her in. It's not I've always felt this way about childbirth it is NOT a spectator sport.

• Options
    jonesl12 said:
    My mom and DH. I'm adopted and my mom couldn't have babies due to having uterine cancer at the age of 13 and a complete hysterectomy at 14 years old. She missed out on all of it herself so I want her to be there to experience it with me. No MIL, grandparents, friends, etc
    That's very sweet of you!(:
  • Options
    It's your birthing process and your right to who you want in there. She is not entitled just because she is your mom. We had issues with our first delivery where the entire family from both sides was there and after an emergency c section they were in the room before I was even out of surgery which was very uncomfortable given all the checks they do and hadn't even seen my baby. From that point on we don't allow anyone until after the baby is born and the brothers and sisters have been to the hospital. It also gives you time to spend with your newborn and work on feeding him/her and just have a bonding time. Some hospitals only allow one person in there with you as well so they could help in your decision.
  • Options
    Just my DH will be there. My mom was in the room with me for DS1 before delivery, but left whenever I was getting checked and again when it was time to push. Now whatever grandparent who is coming will stay with the kids.

You don't owe anyone the experience of watching you give birth, except your partner. It's personal.

• Options
    emgee27emgee27 member
    edited November 2015
    It's not about YOU?????? Um, yes, yes it is actually. It's EXACTLY all about you.  Stick to your guns. As others said, you will have to set boundaries so they may as well start now. You don't OWE anyone anything. She can be waiting right there in the waiting room and be the first person to be let in when you are ready for visitors, if you want. Even let her come in all by herself and have some private time with you and the baby and be the first one to do so, if you want to give her a 'special moment.'   But you do not owe her being there during delivery. Maybe that's a nice compromise?

For me, it will be just me and DH during delivery.
  • Options
    KurtniKurtni member
    edited November 2015
    Just me and my husband. We would like to avoid telling anyone when we head to the hospital, and wait until baby is born and we've had time to ourselves. I love my family, but they can be a little overbearing and there is a lot of us. I don't want 20 people in the waiting room.

Your mom and family will get over it. Being uncomfortable and stressed in labor can prolong it, and you deserve to give birth however will help you relax as much as possible
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I  will be having my DH and my 11 y/o DD.  My mother will be on Stand-By in the waiting room, in case DH needs to puke or pass out (one or the other is bound to happen) or if DD gets bored she can leave the room.  Whoever you want in there is YOUR choice- no one else's
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm a F.T.M., and I've been stressing a lot about who to have in the Delivery Room. I don't really have much of a relationship with my mom she only really contacts me when she needs money.  I have no INTENTIONS on keeping my son away from my mom. I've been set on it just being me and S/O because, I feel like childbirth isn't a spectator sport and it's a very intimate moment that I don't really want to share or feel comfortable sharing( sorry if I'm coming off as selfish): ). My mom keeps asking me who I'm gonna have in the delivery room, at first i told her JUST my S/O we want to get a chance to bond with the baby, skin -skin, and breastfeed at least for an 1 hour before we start allowing people in but she told me I was selfish, and how dare i deprive her of the experience, how dare i take it away from her it's not about me she deserves to be in there. (Mom can be very judgmental and down putting sometimes) I also know that if i let her in her boyfriend and his mom are gonna want to come in. so my question to you guys is do you think I'm being selfish? Do I owe her this experience? What would you do? and who are you having in the Delivery room?
    Your mom is the one being ridiculous and selfish. I only had DH in there for the first baby and will only have him in there for the second. I'm so glad that I don't have anyone asking or demanding to be in there. Shoot, you could be really mean and selfish and not tell your mom that you even went into labor until after you are home. ;)

Some advice that I would give you is to make sure that you get your bonding time with DH and the new baby before you let any visitors in. Your mother seems like the one who would grab your baby and not give him/her back to you like a reasonable person would. You can also speak to the nursing staff and make sure that you have time to get breastfeeding going (if that is something you're going to do). That can be difficult with a lot of people around, especially those that want to hog the baby and not let new mama hold baby.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    @jonesl12 I swear I didn't come here to stalk you, but I wanted to say you're amazing.

The hospital I'll deliver at enforces the "golden hour," during which no one is allowed to interrupt mom, dad, and baby if baby is healthy and doing well. This allows for skin-to-skin, bfing establishment, and bonding.

Bottom line: your baby, your choice. Tell your mother to f*ck off and have more of her own if she's so keen on seeing more deliveries. They'll put a mirror down there so you can watch, if you want.
  • Options
    Your mom is the selfish one. Besides, of all the times in your life when it is OK to be "selfish", this is one of them. Please don't listen to your family members either as they don't know what they are talking about.
  • Options

jonesl12 said:

My mom and DH. I'm adopted and my mom couldn't have babies due to having uterine cancer at the age of 13 and a complete hysterectomy at 14 years old. She missed out on all of it herself so I want her to be there to experience it with me.
    No MIL, grandparents, friends, etc

That's very sweet of you!(:

• Options
    I vote that you should have or don't have have whoever you want in the delivery room with you. I think people shouldn't be offended if the mother only wants her husband or SO in wither her. But I know people do get offended. I'm struggling with this too. I have a good relationship with my mom, but we're not exactly super super close. I would rather it be just me and my husband, I think it's a personal, intimate experience I was like to share with just him. But I think my mom will be extremely offended if I tell her I just want it to be me and my husband. I'm afraid she will try to take over in the delivery room, and her and my husband don't always get along or see eye-to-eye on stuff, so the last thing I want is people arguing and not getting along while I'm in labor. *sigh* I suppose I'll see what happens.
  • Options
    1st-my ex, my parents, and his parents
    2nd-my mom
    3rd-SO my mom and his mom.

It should be who you are comfortable with and no one else. My mom was great with my previous two deliveries but there was a moment with this one where she drove me crazy and I told her to shush. My So's mom was absolutely amazing and a calming presence for me. It really depends on you. But stick to your guns! Only you can stand up for yourself and set the boundaries you want
  • Options
    I'm hoping for the hubby ONLY! I don't want my mother in there with me, because of HOW she is. She's the type that would call out the baby as "HER BABY", and try to keep it close by her all the time and such. And both of my Maternal and Paternal grandmothers are the sam freaking way. If anything, the hubby would be more calming for me. He knows how to help me calm down, relax, and breath it all out. Everyone else woudl just stress me out, annoy me, and make things worse! :neutral:
  • Options
    This is my fourth baby and my husband will be the only one in there. That was automatic. My mom was only there in the delovery room with my first baby because my husband was deployed. But she never insisted, I asked her. She's not pushy at all and you don't owe anyone anuthung. This is your baby. You and your partner decide. Your mother did not make this baby and she doesn't automatically get to be there just because she's your mother. I would tell her no, it's only going to be me and your partner. That's it. If she gets upset then she's being selfish and not thinking of you.