Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Feeling like a bad mother...

carariecararie member
edited November 2015 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
My LO is about 2 1/2 weeks old and I am still waking her every 3 hours during the night to feed until we go back to the doctor on Monday and he confirms that she has in fact gained back her birth weight and gives us the all clear to sleep and feed on demand during the night. Tonight for the second night in a row I overslept the alarm I set for her first late night feeding. Both times when I woke up she was still very content and woke up easily when I changed her diaper and fed her, so she wasn't in distress. I'm just feeling guilty and like a bad mom for not being able to do a simple thing like wake up to an alarm...

Re: Feeling like a bad mother...

• Options
    You are not a bad mother!! Don't beat yourself up. LO was content and now she's fed! Hope the appt goes well so you can let her sleep until she wakes you!!
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Options
    No distress=happy baby=happy parents!! Don't sweat it. And don't stress too much of she's not all the way up to birthweight. Mine was 8.14 at birth, and 8.6 at 2 week appt and doc said if she's got the appropriate wet and dirty diapers and feeds enough times in 24 hour period, he said we can feed on demand at night. 8 hours last night at 10 weeks, woohoo!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    First of all, I went through the same thing with my daughter...and went on a guilt trip by the lactation consultants at the hospital.

I didn't set an alarm, your baby is an alarm, and my daughter gained her weight back.

Wait until you see your pediatrician, I'm sure she'll make you feel a ton better. It's completely normal for them to lose weight. She will gain it back! You're doing great, mom. :x
  • Options
    lol I did that once the first week my oldest daughter was home. She slept 5 hours and woke me up to be fed. That was the last 5 hour stretch till she was 6 months old... You aren't a bad mom. You were tired :)
  • Options
    What everyone else said. Your LO will be fine and you are NOT a terrible mother!
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind words and encouragement! The post partum hormones struggle is real!! LO and I just got back from the Pedi for her two week appointment. She has gained just shy of a full pound in two weeks so she is definitely thriving and doing well. Even better the Dr. gave us the all clear to let her sleep for as long as she wants at night so no more accidentally sleeping through alarms for Momma!
  • Options
    Yeah mama! Baby wk let you know when she is hungry! Happy weight gain is on point!