November 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone pumping yet?

I did a search and haven't found a similar thread but please let me know if there is one and I'll delete! My son is 4 days old and my milk came in yesterday. If he only feeds on one breast during a feeding, it leaves the other feeling very hard and swollen. Is anyone using their pump yet? I am wondering if it would be ok to start using it to relieve the pressure. At class they told us to use one 30-60 minutes after a feeding but no sooner than 1 hour before the next feeding. It's hard to know when he's going to feed next so it makes me nervous. Any thoughts or advice would be helpful. Thanks & congrats on your LOs!

Re: Anyone pumping yet?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Cook3133Cook3133 member
    edited November 2015
    I did last night, my boobs were so full I just had to release the pressure. My son is also 4 days old today. With my 2nd son I pumped within the first few days to because I had so much milk it was coming way to fast for him.

So yesterday after he finished one side and fell asleep I pumped the other side and got 4oz and then finished pumping the other side and got 2oz. But that was my mistake, I should have just pumped the one side, he woke up and wanted more and there wasn't much left for him.

I should add with my first I waited 2-3 weeks, but I also leaked a lot where as with my 4th I'm not leaking.
  • Options
    My LO is 5 days old and I have been pumping some. My milk came in right away and I was really engorged. She wasn't able to eat enough to relieve the pressure on both sides. Additionally, I was afraid that she was only getting foremilk and was never making it to the hind milk.
    I had mastitis while nursing my son and it was no fun so i really want to avoid it this time. My dr agreed that pumping when I really needed relief was the best solution. My supply/her demand seem to be evening out a bit now.
  • Options
    I pumped from day 1 with my first because she was in the NICU. I was told that if she didn't nurse for 20 minutes per side pump to equal 20 minutes. That was just me, if you feel the need to pump to relieve pressure, do it just so you are comfortable but don't empty completely.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Try to nurse from both sides each feeding, otherwise you could potentially face supply issues once your supply works itself out or clogged ducts and possibly mastitis (ten minutes each side is what I was told with my first)lThe risk of pumping right now would be creating an oversupply since your body right now is learning just how much it needs.. If you need to release some pressure I would hand express. Plus, you still have some colostrum in your milk.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This is helpful! I didn't think about how pumping now would increase my supply and that would make it worse. I think I'll try nursing from both sides for now and waiting a couple weeks to pump. I appreciate your feedback!
  • Options
    I started pumping here and there on one side after my son stopped taking one side completely at 1 week old....I didn't want my supply to diminish, I've finally got him.taking back to both sides. If he doesn't eat on both at a feeding and I'm feeling engorged and uncomfortable, I will use a hand pump for 10 mins just to relieve the uncomfortable pressure.
  • Options
    This thread is helpful to know, but makes me wonder; if I plan on going back to school/work, say about 2 months after baby is born, when do you think I should start pumping to increase supply to save for when I am away?
  • Options

This thread is helpful to know, but makes me wonder; if I plan on going back to school/work, say about 2 months after baby is born, when do you think I should start pumping to increase supply to save for when I am away?

This is my question too.
  • Options

I started pumping at about 3 weeks with my daughter, maybe closer to 4. I had a great supply and she nursed well. I went back to work at 9 weeks pp. By 3 weeks I wasn't in pain any more when she nursed and my husband wanted to attempt a bottle to practice for when I went back to work.
    She didn't end up taking a bottle until the night before I went back! It was a rough road. But it's very very common. I had to be completely out of the house for her to drink from a bottle.
    I had probably 30-40 ounces of pumped milk in the freezer by then.
  • Options
    Also for those who are super engorged try hand expressing just a tiny bit out to relieve the pressure.
    Use the milk to help your nipples feel better, just rub it in. It's better than any of the creams on the market.
    A little hand expressing won't affect your supply and will make you feel better.
  • Options

The LC who taught my BF class said you can start pumping around 4-6 weeks. Your milk will change composition as baby grows, so you want to wait until you're well established before trying to build up a supply for when you go back to work. Oversupply too early (which pumping can cause) can mean baby only gets foremilk, which can cause upset tummy.
  • Options
    My milk just came in and my baby is having trouble latching. I have a meeting with a consultant next week but i foud it easier to just pump. I pumped this morning 6 min on each breast. I pumped enough to fill two bottles. Should I have pumped longer? Is there a standard time? 6 min felt like an eternity! It relieved pressure but holy cow it hurt
  • Options

Sounds to me like you should ws
    Pontot31 said:

ahowell88 said:

What @Pontot31 said!! Also, some babies do better with "block feeding" (one side only per feeding). I thought it was so weird when DS2 wanted to nurse that way, but my lactation consultant said that my supply would naturally regulate according to his feeding schedule/milk intake. We nursed for 14 months and when I went back to work, I was still able to pump both sides and I never had supply issues. Boobs are so smart!

Block feeding helped us a lot! My daughter nursed frequently and was getting a lot of the fatty foremilk. It made her spit up. When she was about a month old I started feeding on the same side 2-3 times in a row and her spitting up went away!
    Her pedi was about to prescribe meds thinking it was reflux, but she had no other symptoms so I started researching and realized it was my over supply.
    Block feeding regulated my supply and helped her get more of the hind milk.

I pumped for 15 months, donating to 2 other babies along the way, and we nursed close to 2.5 years.
    You are amazing for donating milk to other babies! Seriously brings tears to my eyes. What a gift for those babies and families!!
  • Options

Pontot31 said:

ahowell88 said:

What @Pontot31 said!! Also, some babies do better with "block feeding" (one side only per feeding). I thought it was so weird when DS2 wanted to nurse that way, but my lactation consultant said that my supply would naturally regulate according to his feeding schedule/milk intake. We nursed for 14 months and when I went back to work, I was still able to pump both sides and I never had supply issues. Boobs are so smart!

Block feeding helped us a lot! My daughter nursed frequently and was getting a lot of the fatty foremilk. It made her spit up. When she was about a month old I started feeding on the same side 2-3 times in a row and her spitting up went away!
    Her pedi was about to prescribe meds thinking it was reflux, but she had no other symptoms so I started researching and realized it was my over supply.

I pumped for 15 months, donating to 2 other babies along the way, and we nursed close to 2.5 years.
    You are amazing for donating milk to other babies! Seriously brings tears to my eyes. What a gift for those babies and families!!
    Thanks ;)
    I hope to do it again. I had such a big freezer supply it would have gone to waste.
  • Options

My milk just came in and my baby is having trouble latching. I have a meeting with a consultant next week but i foud it easier to just pump. I pumped this morning 6 min on each breast. I pumped enough to fill two bottles. Should I have pumped longer? Is there a standard time? 6 min felt like an eternity! It relieved pressure but holy cow it hurt

When I pumped at work I always pumped through 2 let downs. It was usually about 10 minutes. I never went for a set time, just made sure to empty my boobs.

If you're having pain you might want to look at different sizes for the shields. An LC can help fit you. Although the first few days I pumped multiple times it was painful at first since it's a new sensation.
  • Options
    A lot of babies nurse only on one side and do so very successfully.
    The best advice I was given was think if he first side as the appetizer, salad, and entree. The second side is the dessert. Let baby actively nurse for as long as they want on side one then offer the second side. Do NOT set a time limit for nursing on each side.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Options
    I'm gonna jump on this and ask what do I do if she nurses on one side then my other is really engorged and she won't eat for another 2-3 hours? I'm not worried about deilicert but Breastfeeding is giving me serious anxiety
  • Options
    What is ws?

Pontot31 said:

ahowell88 said:

• Options
    mcdoug211 said:

I'm gonna jump on this and ask what do I do if she nurses on one side then my other is really engorged and she won't eat for another 2-3 hours? I'm not worried about deilicert but Breastfeeding is giving me serious anxiety

I never had that issue with my newborn. She ate very frequently.
    But your boobs will learn when to slow down and speed up production. If you pump you're giving them the cue to have the milk ready then. If you give it a few days your supply will level out some.
    I would just hand express enough to make yourself comfortable and let your supply adjust on its own.