June 2015 Moms
Options

Working Moms check in - November

How's it going mommas?

How's daycare/child care going?
Are you taking any measures/dealing with "daycare" induced sicknesses?

Moms that were BFing/pumping, how's that going at work now?

Re: Working Moms check in - November

• Options
    We have our first daycare induced cold. Just went back and checked the baby's first cold thread. Boogie Wipes, bulb sqeezy (only bc I'm too cheap to buy the Nose Frida) & humidifier for us this weekend. Kid next door in crawlers class went home Thursday with pneumonia & I freaked until my helpful (science teacher) coworker told me it wasn't contagious, only the colds & such that can cause it are.
    Anyways - daycare never called this week to get her, & still no fever - so we're surviving. This cough is so sad though.

I stopped pumping in October at work. I've slowly been losing the amount I can pump, & fenugreek and such weren't helping. So she's all formula except once a day (usually at night before bed or middle of the night) I give her the breast. I work next door to a coach who found it fascinating that I pumped. After lunch he'd ask me, "feel better?" (Kind of as a joke). When I told him I had to stop he sweetly asked, "are you good?" As a self centered newly wed (which we all once were) it was a nice gesture.

Otherwise - any other first time moms get upset when "seasoned" moms make you feel like you're overreacting or whining when you mention something with your LO? I felt that way with this cold this week. I understand I may be overreacting, but can they not remember what it was like?!

*wow that was a novel*
  • Options
    We've had our 'first' daycare cold for probably two months straight now. I truly feel like she's going to be a snot nosed kid forever at this point. Her cold has gone through many variations though - a few low grade fevers, different amounts and colors of mucous, now an inconsistent cough. Or maybe it's a cold with other things mixed in - who knows. I just know we've checked in with the doctor a few times and they don't seem concerned and there is nothing to do but wait.

As for myself, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up in a coma from daycare germs by the end of the winter. I've had some of the weirdest and worst illnesses in the past few months.

Alright, enough complaining from me. Hope your LO gets better soon @krystleshel!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO got a cold a month ago from daycare and it was annoying but fine. But this week the new cold turned into croup and it sucks. My husband took her to the doc, but didn't mention how long she's contagious. Dr Google says 3 days, so now I'm not sure if I should send her to daycare on Monday.

Also, I am now sick too and wondering if LO passed something on to me!
  • Options
    HayesRN13HayesRN13 member
    edited November 2015
    ^^how is LO doing? Hope you guys feel better soon being sick sucks especially when you have to take care of a baby.. I'm dreading that first time
  • Options
    I love LO's daycare. He did get one cold, but it cleared up in about a week. He's fine now. They say he's happy and plays for a long time and "talks" a lot at daycare, which makes me happy. He's like that sometimes for me but more often just wants to get on the boob and not come off when I'm home, so I miss seeing playful times. I do stay a few minutes when I drop him off at daycare so I can watch him play with the toys and ease the transition (not that he seems to notice yet that I'm leaving...I guess that will come later).

My baby is still EBF, though I work and go to school. My supply has fluctuated a few times. My freezer stash was actually dangerously low a week or so ago (I had been foregoing pumping in the middle of the night to get more sleep) so I brought my supply back up with frequent pumping, Mother's Milk Tea and oatmeal. It worked and now I'm overproducing again, which kind of sucks in a different way because now there are times I'm with him on the weekends and during evenings and nights when he doesn't take enough from the boobs and I have to pump in the middle of the night or when he's awake but full. I also don't like how breastfeeding and pumping make me sleepy so it's hard to study while doing them. On the whole though, I love breastfeeding for the bond with LO, the relaxing time and easy way to soothe him, and I don't really mind pumping at work. There is a convenient pumping room near my office now and I share it with another pumping mama. We agreed to keep the door unlocked so now pumping is more convenient than ever. We used to have to ask someone for the key each time.
    Basically things are going well. I'm also more comfortable leaving LO with DH when needed.
  • Options
    HoosOnFirstHoosOnFirst member
    edited November 2015
    HayesRN13 said:

^^how is LO doing? Hope you guys feel better soon being sick sucks especially when you have to take care of a baby.. I'm dreading that first time

Thanks for asking! Thank god for DH yesterday in particular. LO was good during the day but started to sound bad again right before bed. Doc says daycare is ok tomorrow as long as LO seems in good spirits and no fever. Fingers crossed for the morning! I am feeling much better from my own sickness.
  • Options
    hoodoll82 said:

HayesRN13 said:

Thanks for asking! Thank god for DH yesterday in particular. LO was good during the day but started to sound bad again right before bed. Doc says daycare is ok tomorrow as long as LO seems in good spirits and no fever. Fingers crossed for the morning! I am feeling much better from my own sickness.
    Did she go? Are you feeling better? Hope so!!
  • Options
    I posted a few days ago on the October post. I am not entirely sure if Daylight Savings messed up my pumping schedule at work. I was having a hard time keep up with her earlier in the week, but I was able to catch up. We started supplementing with a bottle a day of formula, but I am afraid that it will become more and more frequent. LO is 5 months, so I am not too stressed about it. I am really hoping that I can make it to a year BF her. She's a petite little one, so sometimes I do worry if she's getting enough, but all the other babies close in age were/are formula fed. 

As for daycare, I am thankful that my mom watches her when DH and I are working. Although, my 6 year old niece lives with her so I do get weary about colds, but she thankfully has had a cold yet. I know it's a matter of time. Any tips on preparing for her first cold??
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Quote fail. @virginiaunicorn11

But yes, LO still sounds like crap when breathing but she's happy as a clam. She's taking forever to eat though since she can't breathe well through her nose, so I missed my commuter train and so didn't get to work until 10:30 - eek! I worked until 5:30 to try to show my boss I'm dependable. Or something. It means DH has LO until 7 instead of 6:30 but that feels fair after this morning. He's rolling with it because he's awesome.

Beyond taking too long to eat, she also peed through her nighttime diaper and fully through her swing she was sleeping in, then also spit up on both of us so that I had to start laundry to clean the fabric part of the swing and also change clothes... Yeah there was no way I was making my train this morning!

In other news, Pamper Baby Dry are no longer working for us. I have to search the threads for a new one to try!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @mellymar uses Luvs at night because she says they hold the most pee. Weird Baby Dry aren't working, that sucks!

Your morning sounds crappy, too. Yuck. At least you have a good husband and hopefully you yourself are feeling better.

Boss rave: at our team meeting today, I kind of grunted when my boss asked how I'm doing. I told her I was up since 3:45 with a teething baby. She said go take a nap after our call, and get the work done later.

Working from home is proving VERY challenging because no one thinks it's a big deal for me to take the baby - anywhere from 15 minutes, up to two 3 hour chunks today. I need to go back to work for a few hours now that LO is in bed, but I'm exhausted from watching him all day when I was supposed to be working. (DH's 3 hours at the brewery today turned into 10 and counting.)

Not complaining... Much... Just noting that working from home with bay in the house isn't the best laid plan... I know I need to be grateful, and I definitely am. But this isn't sustainable.
  • Options
    I don't like LOs daycare. We have no other options though. Also she's sick every week. Ugh b
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    Mine got her first daycare cold. Got through the worst of it, but still stuffy. Pumping like crazy, but daycare wastes so much I can't keep up anymore. I put it in 2-3 oz bags, but I think they heat up two bags at a time so they can avoid heating up for second feeding. So, if she doesn't want to eat, they toss it. Like yesterday, she ate 8 out of the 12 oz they used. What a waste!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Sammy KSammy K member
    edited November 2015
    @Selune I would have a serious talk with your day care. That is no excuse for wasting BM and I would be pissed. I'm angry for you. It takes a few minutes to warm milk, it's not a serious effort. And BM or formula are expensive (time or money). Unless they are providing formula for free, it is not their prerogative to heat more than what your LO will eat.

Our daycare heats one bottle at a time. If LO is still hungry, they heat 1 additional ounce until she's full. Pain in the ass? Maybe. But I would raise hell if they were dumping whole ounces down the drain.

I would absolutely talk to them and tell them it is affecting your ability to provide BM. If they don't care, I would start looking at other options for daycare because that's indicative of a bigger problem.

ETA I would see red if they dumped 50% of what she ate down the drain. That is completely unacceptable.
  • Options
    hudson202hudson202 member
    edited November 2015
    ^^agreed with everything @sammy K said. They should not be wasting any of it!

So this may be an UO based on a few of the previous posts, but we LOVE LO'S daycare. Is anyone planning on doing anything nice for daycare teachers for the holidays? Any ideas?
  • Options
    @hudson202 We love our daycare too! Based on teachers I know, we do gift cards instead of gifts because no one really needs a bunch of $10 gifts. If we know somewhere the teacher likes, such as Starbucks, we do that. Otherwise Target is the default. We do $10 per teacher because each kid has at least 3 regular teachers, plus the lady at the front desk. If there is one that is above and beyond, we get them a $25 gc. I take in cookies for the staff room, too.
  • Options
    I brought carrot cake cupcakes to my daycare. She is really nice, it's in home, I do worry a little about development I see the kids in there sleeping a lot and all the kids are really quiet. My baby is always happy so it's probably fine just a little weird.
  • Options
    My daughter goes to a preschool two days a week and her language acquisition has increased significantly. She brought the stomach flu home last week so both she and my son were barfing all week. I bet we washed her bedding and his crib sheets a dozen times. I'm so over puke.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options
    Daycare is great. No issues with sickness in the class yet. LO smiles when we drop him off and cries when we come to pick up, "oh no, now I have to spend time with my parents." One of the teachers takes pictures and then runs a slideshow so we can see what the babies have been up to all day. He's always looking happy.

I'm still pumping in sketch parking lots. I intent to pump for at least 7 more months, but damn, when I think of productive I could be if I didn't need to... it kills me.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    @hudson202 We love our daycare too and I was wondering the same thing. @Sammy K read my mind with something like giftcards for coffee or Target. I was also thinking about a movie theater giftcard.
  • Options
    ksimo6 said:

My daughter goes to a preschool two days a week and her language acquisition has increased significantly. She brought the stomach flu home last week so both she and my son were barfing all week. I bet we washed her bedding and his crib sheets a dozen times. I'm so over puke.

Language acquisition?
  • Options
    @Selune, we're starting daycare the last day of this month and when I was visiting the other week to drop off paperwork, the teacher was telling me that they are required to throw away heated up milk after an hour (she said it was per the state).  That alarmed me, especially because my LO isn't yet consistent with accepting the bottle so now I'm imagining ounces and ounces down the drain.  I'm able to work from home a couple days a week and live a couple minutes from the daycare, so I'd definitely be driving over there to take back milk before letting them toss it!  

After reading your post, I'm going to make a point to tell them not to heat up more than 2-3 ounces at a time.  I'm very determined to not let anything I can control/influence get in the way of continuing exclusively using breast milk for the first year.  I agree with PP about telling them how you want/need your LO to be fed.  They need to do what you need them to do.
  • Options
    @enigmaticjj @selune Ask if they have to throw it out or if they just can't use it. In my state, once it's been out an hour, they can't use it. However! If there's an ounce or more left, daycare will put it in the fridge and you can take it home, but you have to ask them to save it. The default is to dump it. As long as they don't use it, they are technically complying with the state law. It might be worth asking.
  • Options
    @Sammy K, thanks for the suggestion!  I'll ask.  I did express surprise and say I'd rather come pick it up rather than have them throw it away.  But I'll specifically ask if they can just put it back in the fridge.  And I'll try finding information online to confirm.
  • Options
    Sammy K said:

@enigmaticjj @selune Ask if they have to throw it out or if they just can't use it. In my state, once it's been out an hour, they can't use it. However! If there's an ounce or more left, daycare will put it in the fridge and you can take it home, but you have to ask them to save it. The default is to dump it. As long as they don't use it, they are technically complying with the state law. It might be worth asking.

Be careful about reusing milk that has previously been warmed...I took back a warmed but uneaten bottle a few weeks ago and DH tried to give it to DD the next morning and it had turned, despite being refrigerated. She drank a little of it before flipping out, and then vomited twice at daycare and had to be sent home. It really upset her tummy. This milk had been defrosted from frozen originally.

The had warmed it right before I got there to pick her up so I just took it home and then nursed her...now when that happens I sit there while they feed it to her so it doesn't get wasted.
  • Options
    A thought on the heating and not using breastmilk. I do think its more likely to turn I frozen but what I really wanted to ask was if they could serve it cold? If your LO will take it does that solve this problem. This is on of the reasons we give it to him cold. If he doesn't finish a bottle DH puts it in the fridge and uses it long at 36 hours later without issues. Maybe they still can't serve it again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @henrytviii I think this is why we've never had a problem. They don't heat it up, they just run it under hot water to take the chill off. But again, this was at my request because LO takes cold milk and I know not all babies do.
  • Options
    I don't even know where to put this. Is there a FML thread? I've been sick for over a month, LO has had a cold for over 2 months. I just left the doctor and am getting round 2 of steroids and antibiotics and now I also have pink eye. I have no sick time left but tons of vacation. I'm trying to get HR to let me swap some of the sick time I used to supplement my leave time for vacation time but no word on that yet. I just feel like there is no end in sight. It's only November and I apparently have no immunity to these daycare germs. Sorry for the rambling vent - this is just nuts! Next they said I may be going to ENT because it may be best to get my tonsils out. Yay, I'm sure I have no time for that.
  • Options
    @swaugh14 Sorry to hear that. It sucks having to use sick time on maternity leave and then having nothing when you get back. I hope you and LO feel better soon. I do like your idea of a FML thread though. :smile:
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @swaugh14 maybe I'm dumb but can you use vacation time for this? It should really matter, right? Or are they just being sticklers?

Also I'm sorry to hear it... LO, DH and I have been passing around the same cold for weeks...
  • Options
    @hoodoll82 I believe I'll be able to get away with it some however, I literally work in the Human Resources Division, so everyone here knows and obsesses about the rules. The good news is I can convert some personal time to sick soon, so that will help. I've been reading your updates too and thinking we're in a similar mess - no good! Hang in there. I'm sure we'll all make it.
  • Options
    swaugh14 said:

@hoodoll82 I believe I'll be able to get away with it some however, I literally work in the Human Resources Division, so everyone here knows and obsesses about the rules. The good news is I can convert some personal time to sick soon, so that will help. I've been reading your updates too and thinking we're in a similar mess - no good! Hang in there. I'm sure we'll all make it.

I've been ok with time - you might be thinking of @virginiaunicorn11 who had an HR mess! But yeah I get your predicament. I work on the finance team which also handles payroll/benefits, and our boss says we need to hold ourself to a higher standard, which I get, but is annoying. Other people gets to bend rules!
  • Options
    delujm0, good warning and a good reminder to smell the milk first.  I know thawed milk should be used within 24 hours, regardless if warmed.  When I searched online about putting warmed milk back in the fridge, I didn't really find a definitive answer.

henrytviii, also a good idea.  My LO has never been much of a bottle fan and isn't very consistent yet at accepting them, but so far she'll only take it warm.  I'm hoping in time she'll take it cold/cool.  That would be much more convenient.  I'll double check with daycare to see if they don't have to throw it away if it wasn't heated (at least for future reference).

• Options
    I need some help here. What does your morning routine look like?

Getting out the door on time in the morning is stressful!
    Any tips on how to make it easier?

I'll gladly post my crazy morning schedule as it is now, but it'll be a long post!
  • Options
    I try to have everything ready the night before and then get up and get ready before either kid wakes up. Sadly this means I sleep from midnight to 5:50. If I do this mornings are low stress and I feel like I spend some quality time with the kids before leaving the house at 7:30. BUT I get less than 6 hours of sleep with at least 2 wakeups to nurse. So there's that. Ugh.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    hudson202hudson202 member
    edited November 2015
    Yayayayyaya @sammy K super pumped for you (get it, lol)

@423ang our morning routine only works well if I can get lo to sleep until at least 630, which is not a garuntee. But it looks like this:

Night before- pack bottles and put in fridge
    430am-feed LO (I will be so thankful when she stops this feeding)
    550am- get in shower
    620am-dry hair/makeup
    630am-keep getting ready, but lo is usually up, so she sits on a blanket next to me
    700am-get LO dressed and feed one more time
    730am-get myself dressed
    745am- make coffee, pack pump bag, leave house

DH takes lo to daycare, so that helps
  • Options
    Awesome @Sammy K !!!!!!
  • Options
    @423ang Here's my typical morning except for when one of the little people get up early, so maybe 3 days a week:
    5:15 wake up, let dog out and feed him, eat breakfast, take dog for a walk
    5:45 shower
    6:00 get ready while pumping
    6:20 start coffee, get dressed
    6:30 kiss DS and DH, leave for work

The other days I feed LO and/or put DS back in bed which usually means the dog doesn't get a walk. Sometimes pumping takes 30 min.

I try to do things like get bottles ready, pack my lunch, and get anything the kids need for daycare the night before. Sometimes I'll shower at night and sleep in an extra 15 min. Many mornings, I don't see LO. But I go in early so I can leave early. DH does drop off later in the morning so the kids are in daycare only 8 hours.