May 2016 Moms
Options

Placenta Previa Scare....Anyone else?

mumbolinomumbolino member
edited November 2015 in May 2016 Moms
Hi Ladies... 

so yesterday morning began with cramping and bleeding. What a start into my 13th week. I freaked out and was so worried about baby! 
Arrived in hospital and it took more than 7 hours (!!!!!) until I could finally get an ultrasound and therefore a confirmation that baby is ok!!! I could not believe how long it took!

In the ultrasound they saw i had placenta previa, so my placenta covers my cervical opening entirely. This would have caused the bleed. 
They gave me another appointment for Monday and basically said not to worry, but it has to be monitored.. 

I did some reading about this, and it seems like it is very common??? And in most cases, it just fixes itself??? 

If not, it is pretty scary though!!!! 

Does anyone else have this? What recommendations did you get??? 

I am not sure if I should be scared or not... 

If it is so common, I am surely not the only one! Anyone else out there?

xx

Re: Placenta Previa Scare....Anyone else?

• Options
    khudak117khudak117 member
    edited November 2015
    Hello! I was also told I have slight placenta previa a couple weeks ago (at 10 weeks) and my doctor basically said also that 98% of all cases heal themselves by 3rd trimester. I was told no sex until it was checked again. From what I've read there is really no reason to worry. If it doesn't fix itself they do a c section. I've had no issues since being told no sex. I was just having some spotting. Glad I'm not alone! :)
  • Options
    Although, I haven't been diagnosed with placenta previa yet, my last scans showed the placenta is very low. I will have a check up in 3 weeks. My Dr. is hoping it will move up. It I have already been told no sex as well. I don't have any bleeding but was told if there was any, she (my Dr.) wanted me to come in. I really hope it moves up. My research has shown that basically most women are out in pelvic rest, and if it doesn't fix itself, then a c-section is needed. I also got to the scary side that mentioned blood loss can lead to transfusions..I think it's better I didnt continue reading as my irrational fears kicked in!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    You are definitely not alone :-) 
    I hope it will fix itself... Mine is completely covering the OS..... 
    I really don't want a C-Section at all, and I am not so thrilled by the potential bleeding etc.... We have also a big trip booked for December... Thank God I took out the insurance that I can get my money back if I cannot fly for medical reasons... But fingers crossed I will not need this. 

I hope I get positive news on Monday, and until then I will just try to relax... Easier said than done, right? :-)
    You are definitely not alone :-) 
    I hope it will fix itself... Mine is completely covering the OS..... 
    I really don't want a C-Section at all, and I am not so thrilled by the potential bleeding etc.... We have also a big trip booked for December... Thank God I took out the insurance that I can get my money back if I cannot fly for medical reasons... But fingers crossed I will not need this. 

I hope I get positive news on Monday, and until then I will just try to relax... Easier said than done, right? :-)

I  also think sometimes google can really mess with your head, I have to stop researching online and just wait for my appointment, otherwise I'll go nuts. 

The idea of pelvic rest and bedrest and what not...  Is not really very appealing! Move, placenta!!! MOVE to a better place! 

• Options
    Yes, I agree Google is bad!! I had a loss in June of this year, and I have had so much anxiety this time it's not even funny! I've told myself to stay off google! Haha
    Pelvic rest hasn't been bad for me yet, it's only been a few weeks, but the hubby is not happy! Have to do what's best for baby!
  • Options
    :-( I am really hoping this pelvic rest thing doesn't apply so early.... Sigh.... I wonder if there are any positive stories here where the placenta has moved into the right position...

• Options
    I think it takes a little time to move. I'm not sure I'll have it checked again until my scan at 20 weeks.
  • Options
    I had placenta previa early with our 2nd, and it moved up and out of the way all on its own. Everything turned out fine :) Try not to worry!
  • Options

I had placenta previa early with our 2nd, and it moved up and out of the way all on its own. Everything turned out fine :) Try not to worry!

Thank you.... It helps to read positive news vs all the potential things that could go wrong.

• Options
    I was just diagnosed with placenta previa at 18 weeks and just got out of the hospital this past Friday due to a bleed (20 weeks). On bed rest now. I was told that if it doesn't clear up by week 28, a c-section is needed.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I Hope yours moves into the right place!!! I have my fingers crossed for you . Bed rest!?? You poor thing!!! I hope you don't have to do that for very long.
    I had my follow up today after my bleed on Friday. Nothing to do but take it easy and wait what the 18 week us will show... Pelvic rest.... Until 18 weeks us and then depending on the results possibly longer..Which is ironic as I just got my energy and mojo back. GreeeaaT.
    Wait and see it is. And hope I don't bleed again. And nobody else !

• Options
    I also have a complete previa for now. I'm on pelvic rest and have been told no exercise, take it super easy. I haven't had any bleeding, just a tiny bit of cramping when I do too much. I'm mostly worried about being transitioned to bed rest because something tells me this won't be resolving. I just want to be able to work until as late as possible.
  • Options
    I have read quite a few reports now of women even with a complete previa where it has moved before brith, so there is certainly hope... 
    :-) 

FINGERS CROSSED! 

Let's take it easy!

• Options
    I just want to say hopefully your placenta moves up. It's still a possibility. I had a c section due to not progressing and losing fluid, not due to placenta issues. But I had a great experience and a great recovery. The c section was very easy for me. I will be having a repeat c section. I know that's not what you want. My best advice is to research and educate yourself on cesareans since that is a possibility for you. I'm sure you'll feel better and hopefully your doula can help. Unfortunately a lot of births don't go as planned but the end result is a healthy baby and what's the most important part! Good luck. There's still a chance it can move up!
  • Options
    Mine is also laying very low and I'm on pelvic rest. My dr said to come in right away if I start bleeding at all. I go on Monday for my ultrasound so I'm still hoping and praying it has moved by then! She did say that if it hasn't moved, she would still let me try for a vaginal because it's not covering my entire cervix, it's just pushing on it a little I guess? I have no idea, but I do NOT want a c section. I had an epidural with my first and then completely drug free with my second. I'd choose the drug free again any day!
  • Options
    I have the exact same results- marginal Previa and anterior placenta. I was told by the Ultrasonagrapher that it will likely fix but there is a chance it won't. I am also fearful of c section, as I am seeing a midwife with plans to deliver at home. I will have to have a transfer of care if it doesn't move up- which makes things worse since I've been seeing my midwife all along and can't imagine delivering with anyone else.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Hi there! Yep, it sucks, and all we can do is just keep on hoping that it moves, and try to stay positive. After all, we might in the end be able to give birth naturally (if that is what one wants of course. I am not judging anyone who wants a c-section. But I don't want one, if I can avoid it). 
    Pelvic rest does not exactly add to the pleasures of being pregnant... Been on pelvic rest since first bleed, in week 13. 
    Add the excruciating back pain which makes sitting for me nearly impossible... And I am totally reconsidering the number of kids I want. At least on bad days :-)

It's good to get support and understanding here. Thanks ladies!

• Options
    Update- I had an ultrasound almost 3 weeks after my initial one that found Previa- my placenta has already moved up. They said by the time I am full term it will not be a concern! Hoping for good news for you as well!
  • Options
    Just found out yesterday at my AS that I'm in the placenta previa club. Pelvic rest just as my libido is picking up, even though I've had zero bleeding and I won the thickest cervix award at my midwife/OB office. Placenta is touching my cervix, but not covering at least. Midwife is hopeful; I'm disgruntled. I had a hard labor and birth with DD that ended with medical intervention, I've had laser focus this entire pregnancy on the med free, peaceful birth I want, and I got the c section bomb yesterday. This placenta better be moving on up!!!
  • Options
    I'm with you guys. Merry Christmas and no sex? Boo... Marginal previa at 20weeks for me. Terrified of csection, ruins my wishes of natural birth at birthing centre with midwife. Hoping it moves on its own. Likely another ultrasound in a few weeks for an update. No bleeding yet for me, let's hope none for all of us! Best wishes ladies. I know it's not the end of the world but it still sucks!!
  • Options
    I had a marginal previa with my last pregnancy. Darn placenta never moved. Never! I didn't have any problems with it, but it just taunted us.
  • Options
    Hey all

I am also in the marginal previa club and must say that this discussion post has saved my sanity! We found out at our anatomy scan on Wednesday and immediately had to cancel our flight back home for Christmas (OB says no flying until it moves). I have been a hot mess these past few days trying to do my own research...which hasn't been super helpful. I have been planning for a natural birth in a birth center since the beginning and am so sad it might not be able to happen. Luckily, we haven't had any bleeding and hoping to keep it that way. Follow up ultrasound is in 3 weeks and we are hoping for some movement!

Wishing you all some placenta movement for 2016 :) 
  • Options
    I am very frustrated with the OBGYN department at my local Kaiser. I am under the care of one doctor (who is never available and hasn't actually seen me ONCE since getting KU, and I am 22 weeks!) Every appointment I've had has been with different OBs/midwives in the department. Had my A/S at 19 weeks, and got a phone call from my primary OBs nurse telling me that everything was perfect. Went for a follow up at 22 weeks with yet another OB, and she tells me I have marginal placenta previa, and that a CS might be necessary. She doesn't suggest pelvic rest, or anything!

Unrelated, I also asked about a golf ball sized swollen lump I found around my left arm pit. She shrugs and says she doesn't know what it is. Probably a cyst, and not to worry about it unless it gets BIGGER. For reals? I am so comforted by your shrug of indifference and your broken English accent telling me it's nothing dangerous. /sarcasm.

I sent my primary doc an email asking about all of this, and of course got an "out of office" auto reply. At this point, I'm starting to feel more qualified to deliver my own baby than the clowns running around in white coats at this place. /end rant.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

I am very frustrated with the OBGYN department at my local Kaiser. I am under the care of one doctor (who is never available and hasn't actually seen me ONCE since getting KU, and I am 22 weeks!) Every appointment I've had has been with different OBs/midwives in the department. Had my A/S at 19 weeks, and got a phone call from my primary OBs nurse telling me that everything was perfect. Went for a follow up at 22 weeks with yet another OB, and she tells me I have marginal placenta previa, and that a CS might be necessary. She doesn't suggest pelvic rest, or anything!

Unrelated, I also asked about a golf ball sized swollen lump I found around my left arm pit. She shrugs and says she doesn't know what it is. Probably a cyst, and not to worry about it unless it gets BIGGER. For reals? I am so comforted by your shrug of indifference and your broken English accent telling me it's nothing dangerous. /sarcasm.

I sent my primary doc an email asking about all of this, and of course got an "out of office" auto reply. At this point, I'm starting to feel more qualified to deliver my own baby than the clowns running around in white coats at this place. /end rant.

So much suckage! Can you change practices?
  • Options
    Hi Ladies! so I had my AS today and I also was diagnosed with placenta previa. I was told by the doctor at the hospital no sex, but to of course call my doctor and confirm what I can and cannot do (they were going to send him the US right way). When I call he tells me not to worry and that I can still have sex and exercise? Reading PP it sounds like most of you have restrictions. Is it normal to not have any? Just not do anything crazy of course.
  • Options
    cgg0707 said:
    Hi Ladies! so I had my AS today and I also was diagnosed with placenta previa. I was told by the doctor at the hospital no sex, but to of course call my doctor and confirm what I can and cannot do (they were going to send him the US right way). When I call he tells me not to worry and that I can still have sex and exercise? Reading PP it sounds like most of you have restrictions. Is it normal to not have any? Just not do anything crazy of course.
    My midwife is fairly liberal, but when I asked if we could carry on having sex, she was pretty adamant that while we COULD ignore her advice (you can always ignore your care provider's advice), the repetitive motions of sex can cause the edge of the placenta to kind of rub off, partially detach, and hemorrhage. She said for her personally it isn't worth the risk.
  • Options
    I thought you're on pelvic rest once you're diagnosed with previa even if it is only marginally covering the cervix. I would check again if I were you? Maybe consult a midwife? Just to be sure...

• Options
    I always take the caution road. Unless sex is THAT important.. I would not risk it. Usually it corrects itself in time so I'd say if they told you that's what you have then don't have sex and stay on pelvic rest till next U/S.
  • Options
    kitandcatkitandcat member
    edited January 2016
    @cgg0707My placenta was partially covering my cervix at 13 weeks and I was put on pelvic rest until my 19 week appointment when they gave me the OK. No sex, limit exercise to walking, and do my best to stay stress free. My doctor said that most likely sex and exercise aren't going to do any harm, but he doesn't want us to look back thinking "what if" if something bad happened, so he said to play it safe. I would say especially since you're in the 20 week range or so you should be even more cautious then what I was advised at 13 weeks - the later in your pregnancy that you have placenta previa the more serious, from what I've read. The biggest risks of placenta previa are heavy bleeding and going into labor - so all of the precautions are to prevent bleeding and to prevent early labor because both are very, very dangerous for the mother (and obviously dangerous to your baby if they are not ready to come out yet!)
  • Options
    Kit&Cat said:

@cgg0707My placenta was partially covering my cervix at 13 weeks and I was put on pelvic rest until my 19 week appointment when they gave me the OK. No sex, limit exercise to walking, and do my best to stay stress free. My doctor said that most likely sex and exercise aren't going to do any harm, but he doesn't want us to look back thinking "what if" if something bad happened, so he said to play it safe. I would say especially since you're in the 20 week range or so you should be even more cautious then what I was advised at 13 weeks - the later in your pregnancy that you have placenta previa the more serious, from what I've read. The biggest risks of placenta previa are heavy bleeding and going into labor - so all of the precautions are to prevent bleeding and to prevent early labor because both are very, very dangerous for the mother (and obviously dangerous to your baby if they are not ready to come out yet!)

I second that. I've been reading a lot about it as I was diagnosed early at 13 weeks and so far I've had no improvement. It's risky for you and baby unfortunately. Better play it safe. Yes. It sucks. But ending up in hospital with a bleed or even an early delivery sounds a lot more scary to me.

• Options
    Thank you ladies! I have my next appointment with my doctor next Monday so I will bring up again. I told my husband no sex until my next US and will limit my exercise to just light walking on the treadmill. Like PP said, better safe than sorry!!
  • Options
    Just had my a/s on Tues. I have the previa....again!!!!! Are you kidding me?!?! Twice in a row now.
  • Options
    I have a question, may be stupid to some...I have placenta previa as found on my 19 week scan. I do exercise a lot. I have had no bleeding only mild cramps and my next apt is next week, My dr didn't say anything about pelvic rest but it seems everyone who has it is on rest. Should I be concerned? I do not want to do anything that could harm my baby!

1ST BABY GIRL BORN OCTOBER 22, 2014

STM DUE MAY 16 2016!!

• Options
    edited January 2016

I have a question, may be stupid to some...I have placenta previa as found on my 19 week scan. I do exercise a lot. I have had no bleeding only mild cramps and my next apt is next week, My dr didn't say anything about pelvic rest but it seems everyone who has it is on rest. Should I be concerned? I do not want to do anything that could harm my baby!

I am no doctor but you might want to be careful about what exercises and how much exercise you do. Pelvic rest does not mean no exercise it only means no sex ("only".... Lol)

After I got diagnosed I switched to swimming and walking from running as I was told to do lighter exercise. If in doubt: take it easy -especially when you have cramps!! Listen to your body and discuss it at your next appointment. Make sure to ask what kind of pp you have as well when you are there.

Best of luck!!

• Options
    I was diagnosed with a marginal previa at my 20 wk AS and my OB didn't mention pelvic rest at all. She seemed pretty nonchalant and optimistic about the whole situation...Which is a good thing I guess, because I've definitely not been pelvic resting :
  • Options
    Hehe:-)
    I wish i could un-hear the doc say pelvic rest!! I had some different ideas for our babymoon!

• Options
    I was diagnosed with complete placenta previa at 20 weeks.  I have had 2 prior c-sections (unrelated to placenta previa) and a D&C.  My doctor told me that the more c-sections and D&C's you've had, you are at an increased risk for placenta previa.  This is because you have a uteran scar, which the placenta tends to attach at.  My doctor also told me since I have complete PP, the chances of my placenta moving is unlikely.
    I'm not concerned about having a c-section, as I was already planning on it.  My concern is hemorrhaging before/during/after surgery. 
    Has anyone who has placenta previa had hemorrhaging issue or a fear of it?

If you have placenta previa in your 3rd trimester, you have a 10% chance of developing placenta accrete.  My doctor did discuss the possibility of removing my uterus if the placenta will not detach from my uterus.  If removing my uterus needs to happen, I'll be okay with it.  But I'm hopeful that I'll be in the 90% and will be able to keep all my women parts.  :)
  • Options
    I just found out today I have placenta previa also. So I guess I'm in the group too.. They said it wasn't too low so it should fix itself but they will do another ultrasound later to check on it.
  • Options
    katy1249 said:

I was diagnosed with complete placenta previa at 20 weeks.  I have had 2 prior c-sections (unrelated to placenta previa) and a D&C.  My doctor told me that the more c-sections and D&C's you've had, you are at an increased risk for placenta previa.  This is because you have a uteran scar, which the placenta tends to attach at.  My doctor also told me since I have complete PP, the chances of my placenta moving is unlikely.
    I'm not concerned about having a c-section, as I was already planning on it.  My concern is hemorrhaging before/during/after surgery. 
    Has anyone who has placenta previa had hemorrhaging issue or a fear of it?

If you have placenta previa in your 3rd trimester, you have a 10% chance of developing placenta accrete.  My doctor did discuss the possibility of removing my uterus if the placenta will not detach from my uterus.  If removing my uterus needs to happen, I'll be okay with it.  But I'm hopeful that I'll be in the 90% and will be able to keep all my women parts.  :)

Sorry to have more and more people here...
    I totally get you with that fear. I am terrified of a massive bleed especially as my placenta is also anterior. If it doesn't move and I need a csection they will have to cut through the placenta if I'm not mistaken. Not a nice thought. At all. I try to keep a positive mindset but sometimes I'm just plain scared.

• Options
    Oh... And since its my first baby a hysterectomy would be devastating. I can't even stomach to think about that yet...