August 2015 Moms
Options

infant chiropractor

edited November 2015 in August 2015 Moms

Has anyone taken their LO to the chiropractor? One of my coworkers suggested it and initially I thought they were crazy. After reading a bit online I am starting to consider it but I am still nervous.

My LO is almost 3 months old and has reflux. He spits up A LOT. Anytime I take him anywhere people are suprised about how much he spits up. I have to change his outfit several times a day because it gets soaked. He only sleeps 3 hours at night and eats every 2-3 hours during the day. He is on zantac although it does not seem to help much so I recently stopped giving it. He used to scream right after feedings but that seems to be going away. Ive read people say that the chiropractor signigicantly helped their LO with reflux and with sleeping but I am worried about any negitive effects it could cause, also finding a chiropractor I can trust. I have yet to talk to my pediatrician about the chiro. Anyone have any experience with this?

(my LO is breastfed. Ive tried altering my diet. Giving different formulas. I've seen a LC. Adding rice cereal. ... nothing seems to help)

Re: infant chiropractor

• Options
    We are but primarily because she just had a lip/tongue tie revision 2 days ago. She's doing both myofacial therapy and craniosacral work in addition to the normal chiro stuff. Honestly, I've always been skeptical but at this point I'm willing to try cause it is supposed to help post-revision. Honestly, she is already spitting up waaaaay less than pre-revision. That was almost instant, and she still has a pretty poor latch (won't meet with LC to begin working on that till Monday). My older daughter was also tongue/lip tied but her pedi completely missed it, and she was a mess till almost a year old.
  • Options
    I am taking my lo to the chiropractor. She has horrible reflux and is on Prevacid. Before I started taking her she had huge spit ups like pretty close to her whole feeding and they immediately stopped! I wish I had started taking her sooner. She still has some episodes of silent reflux and every few days will have1 minor spit up, but I've seen a huge improvement. She still needs her Prevacid though. The chiropractor demonstrated the amount of pressure she uses and it's very gentle. There's no cranking, it's more like a baby massage and lo is a very relaxed baby during her adjustments. We are going twice a week for now. I got recommendations from friends and our chiropractor is certified in pediatrics.

That being said, do you think the Zantac isn't working because he's still spitting up? Because Zantac doesn't stop reflux, it makes it so the reflux isn't a acidic and doesn't burn their little throats. We tried Zantac first and it didn't work which is why she is taking Prevacid.

My lo also eats every 2-3 hours and she's 11 weeks. It's better for reflux babies to eat smaller frequent meals. Something else that really helps is to feed her on her side so any extra milk pools in her cheek rather than her throat.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm not sure if the zantac is working because sometimes he still screams after he's done eating. I am not sure if its because hes still hungry and needs more food or if its because hes uncomfortable. Ive tried giving him smaller more frequent feedings and he is not happy about that. So I give him 5.5 oz every 3 hours or less during the day.  He just turned 3 months yesterday. Maybe I will talk to our pedi about changing medications.

Feeding on the side is a good point. After you said that I realize that when I breastfeed he cries less after feedings. Maybe it's because hes on his side or because hes eating more than 5.5 oz? I dont know... I should try weighing him before and after feedings.

In regards to the chiropractor. Did they say how long you will have to continue taking your baby? Twice a week seems like a lot but I guess if it helps, its worth it.

• Options
    I have taken my DD since she was 2 days old.  When she had issues with spitting up they were immediately cleared up after her second visit to the chiropractor.  It really is all about finding someone you can trust.  My Chiropractor is certified in pediatrics and also specializes in helping pregnant patients.  I used him through my whole pregnancy.  As PP said, the amount of pressure they use is so very minimal, more like a massage.  My DD is usually extremely relaxed after our appointments.
  • Options
    The twice a week thing is just for right now to avoid any regression, but we'll be going to once a week and then spacing them out from there. You might not have to go twice a week though. My LO has the worst case of reflux her ped has seen in years.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for your replies. I spoke with my pedi and she said she didnt want to try another medication just yet. Told me to feed him 6oz at each feeding for a week and see if that helps.

I made an appt with a chiro but my husband is very skeptical and doesn't want me to take the baby...

So we will try what the pedi said and then go from there.
  • Options
    From what I understand infant chiropractor appointments are more of a baby massage than a true chiropractic session. If it were me, if probably try it but go into the session knowing that if they do anything I'm not comfortable with I'm going to speak up and stop it.
  • Options
    I took my baby to the pediatric chiropractor starting at 4 weeks after tongue tie revision but she actually did a lot of work to help his gas and constipation. During every session he had the BIGGEST poops from whatever she was doing! They use the same amount of pressure as typing on a keyboard and taught me some things to do on him at home to get things moving and it has worked like a charm.