TTC After a Loss
Options

Did I or didn't I?

I had a mc at 8 weeks (measured 6.5 weeks) on September 10 with our first. I bled for about a week. My doc has been having me get my blood work done every week to ensure my levels go all the way down, which it slowly has. On October 13 I started my period which lasted as long as mine always have (I'm like clockwork) 4.5 days period but my levels were still at a 10. A few days after my period stopped my levels were only at 7. (Doc says 5 is considered zero) I know my body pretty well and I always ovulate 12 or so days post the start of my period. And like clockwork, 12 days after my period started I had very clear signs of ovulation that's kinda hard to miss. The nurse called me and said it is not possible that I started my period and ovulated when my levels are just a 7 and not 5. But guys..... Aren't all bodies different? That's not much of a difference. And I know that it was my period. It followed a month after mc (No bleeding in between) and lasted the same amount of time as they always have and then I just ironically have signs of ovulation the same amount of time post period as I have for years. Is it really "impossible"?

Re: Did I or didn't I?

• Options
    My d&c was 9/18 and I had my post op 10/5 when my hcg was 7. I temp and confirmed ovulation 4 days later on 10/9. I had my period on 10/20...ovulated later than my normal pattern but my luteal phase was right on which is between 10-12 days.

So yes it is very possible.
  • Options
    There's a reason why it's possible for people to conceive before they get AF after a loss. There's a reason why the doctors say to be careful and not try when your body suffers a more traumatic loss or a D&C. There's a reason why women having trouble conceiving are given HCG shots and end up pregnant. 

It's possible. I'm not anything in the medical field (at least not until I graduate nursing school in a couple years) but if it weren't possible, why would a doc caution against it? I think your nurse needs to do more research or find a different way to avoid giving you hope. Yes, it's possible. :)

And for the record, because every woman is different I'll tack this on - I just got off the phone with my own doc about 20 minutes ago who confirmed that I probably ovulated the other day, when I had all the positive OPKs and fertile CM. If it's possible for me, and my levels are still above 100, I'm betting it's possible for you. Don't let your nurse ruin your hope!
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes it's possible.  If you do a search you will find other women who have confirmed ovulation via temping at higher HCGs than that.
  • Options
    Also in agreement with other post HCG of 5 is just a standard cut off that the medical profession use. there is always variation either size.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Thanks ladies for all your responses. I definitely appreciate you @FireInWonderland.

Here's an update...

Since I had a normal, regular AF (39 days post mc) and ovulation (though my nurse still says I couldn't have) DH and I decided to try. That was 11 days ago (so, 12 days post "possible" ovulation) They asked me two weeks ago when my hcg levels came back at 7 (this was 3 days before that ovulation) to come back in 2 weeks for another blood test. So yesterday at two weeks I went in and my levels came back at 15 (that's up from my last one) My doc and nurse aren't even entertaining the possibly I could be pregnant again. They said it's probably a "fluke" and to come back again Friday for another test and if my levels are still up then next week they want to give me an ultrasound to see if I have anything still retained from my MC two months ago. Ugh!!! I hate this. The nurse called back a little later after that call and asked if I was feeling weird like bleeding or nauseous (I wasn't) so she told me to let her know if I do and that was that for now. Today I'm very fatigued, queasy, headache and my back is sore for whatever reason. Also small pinches every now and then in my pelvic, lower ab region. Nothing major. Not painful. I think now my head is just going in circles with confusion and fear. Is this crazy or is it just me? :(
  • Options
    askye1212askye1212 member
    edited November 2015
    I think everything is possible. On the 18th, I had my mc. On 11/01 and or 11/5 Im pretty sure I may have ovulated. 3 days after my mc I was told my levels were zero.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Update: levels were checked again this morning (3 days after last one) and came up to 103. That's up from 15 on Tuesday. Trying not to think too much about it and get my hopes up. The doctor on Tuesday was sure it was retained tissue since I only got down to 7 after my mc in September even though I had a period on October 19. I checked my levels online but still waiting to hear from the doctor to see what he thinks now that it has gone up tremendously.
  • Options

Update: levels were checked again this morning (3 days after last one) and came up to 103. That's up from 15 on Tuesday. Trying not to think too much about it and get my hopes up. The doctor on Tuesday was sure it was retained tissue since I only got down to 7 after my mc in September even though I had a period on October 19. I checked my levels online but still waiting to hear from the doctor to see what he thinks now that it has gone up tremendously.

Sounds promising! Fx it is a new pregnancy! Keep us updated!
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Short LP (8 days).
    Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

• Options
    Wow, that's a big increase! I look forward to hearing what the doctor says.
    No signature until I figure this html issue out!
  • Options
    FX for you! I'm glad I could bring you some comfort - it sounds like your doc and your nurse are kind of a jerk. If they DON'T think you're pregnant, then they owe you an explanation as to why! That is a very normal occurrence, the cycle after a pregnancy loss your body is already primed and it *can* be much easier to conceive. I hope you have a nice long chat with them and that your raised levels are for a new LO growing in your belly. Good luck!
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker